• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does it ever Stop

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Well I just couldn't help myself and got a Great deal on a 1 yr old Flex 5000. The 5000 has a lot of Great improvements over my old SDR-1000 and is just amazing on the receiver.

Anyway the madness continues :D

Ive been looking at these aswell my son really thinks there cool I have the test drive cd for this and its the cats @$$ forsure. I been really thinking about it ;)

Well, I think you might have hit the point of 'diminishing returns'. At this point, your radio and audio quality has maxxed out and little more can be done there. Wasn't that the point in going that distance anyway?

How about your antenna(s)?
Always room for Jell-O . . .

I am really amazed at all the additional stuff the 5000 will do over the 1000. The RX on the 1000 was awesome and this one is even better. I also ordered a 2nd RX for it and you can configure different antenna's for receivers and all kinds of configurations. You can also loop the RX stuff to additional connectors and have it go through external preamps and such. Man just too many things to play with .. Go ahead and pull the trigger, you wont be sorry !

Well Rob, funny you ask about antenna's. Yesterday I was going to change out one of my Satellite beams with a new M2 30 element CP beam. When I was lowering the mast a clamp let go and crushed my hand.

hand.jpg

Looks like I wont get the antenna work finished for a while...:oops:

Broken thumb, index finger and 15 stitches in the middle ..

F..F..F...F...F.........HOLY SHIT!! :eek: I'll bet you won't do that again. I have learned a few things the hard way while on the tower but nothing as bad as that. take it easy OM and don't over do it.

SHEEEEEEEESSH!

Well Rob, funny you ask about antenna's. Yesterday I was going to change out one of my Satellite beams with a new M2 30 element CP beam. When I was lowering the mast a clamp let go and crushed my hand.

View attachment 6385

Looks like I wont get the antenna work finished for a while...:oops:

Broken thumb, index finger and 15 stitches in the middle ..

The mast raising/lowering thing was on my mind too when planning the new tower/antenna installation but in my case I am raising 100 pounds mast plus another 100 pounds of antennas. If it drops I could end up with a lot more than a broken thumb and finger. I can't imagine being knocked unconscious at the top of a tower. I will be using a 3500 lb. rated worm drive boat winch and each antenna will be pinned to the mast so a mounting clamp failure will not result in the antenna separating from the mast and allowing the mast to drop more than a couple feet and that is only if the winch or hoisting cable should fail.

I will be using some ratchet straps when I finally get well enough to complete the job. I figure a couple of weeks and I should be able to finish up the job. I dont have as much weight up there as Capt does ..

Anyway this strayed from my Flex 5000 but Rob mentioned antenna's :eek:

maybe now in some spare time you can set up a videogate of you operating the 5000 and show us what all it does if you could

Reactions: 1 person
Wow!
I won't eat hamburger for a month now.

Perhaps a viddy would be more than too cool; I'd watch it for sure. So long as it only takes one hand to make it and you keep the other hand alone so it can heal up.

Ouch! That hurts to look at!

I heard about that spur also and never found out if it was fixed.

Get that FLEX-5000 up and running and give us a review!

On the topic of the Flex 5000, I happen to run across the following article today that explains a bit how to configure the TX audio gain settings:

PSDR Gain

There's a sample clip of the rig on AM at the bottom of the page that sounds really nice.

-Bill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.