• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Double Sideband

Florida Starduster

Dec 26, 2023
My late father-in-law had a Tram that had double sideband. It was very loud on AM and sideband. Until he sent it to Tram to have something fixed.
Anyone on here ever use DSB?

I have never used one.
I know DSB transmits centered on Am using lower power, but with more power focused on the sidebands, and it uses a form of upper and lower sideband at the same time.

Sounds like the next step in a "super modulator" type setup. Suppress the carrier so less power is wasted on that, and just do mostly modulation.

DSBSC or Double SideBand Supressed Carrier as it is called is basically what you guys do to your CB radios aka crazy peak to average power ratios like half a watt swinging to 25 watts or the like. Granted the carrier is never zero but you can see how much louder it becomes the greater the ratio. Now think NO carrier power and all sideband.

The Tram Titans like a few other DSBSC radios transmitted on both sidebands at the same time, so their output was divided between the two. Wasn't much better than AM.

The Tram Titans like a few other DSBSC radios transmitted on both sidebands at the same time, so their output was divided between the two. Wasn't much better than AM.
It was basically a gimmick with no real world advantages other than the RF output components running a bit cooler but proper design would do the same thing.

It was basically a gimmick with no real world advantages other than the RF output components running a bit cooler but proper design would do the same thing.
Agreed. I would rather just run a Magnum radio with the top gun for AM or the CP-1 for SSB. The old SP-1A speech processor's were pretty cool years ago as well. Many years ago I had two radio's with the non-volted final version of the NPC mod. Worked great on AM.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Can't be worse than SSBSC? I think SSB with a carrier is also a thing somewhere?

DSBSC

Last edited:
My late father-in-law had a Tram that had double sideband. It was very loud on AM and sideband. Until he sent it to Tram to have something fixed.
I have and use once in a while a Regency Imperial and a Imperial 2 both have DSB and they do work and sound great. I have heard how they sound, I do enjoy my fetish for old tube gear

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
FYI, The latest IJV firmware for the Quansheng UV-K5 series handhelds, supports DSB RX and TX. It is a lot of fun checking into 2m SSB (USB) nets on a $30 HT. It works surprisingly well. 2m SSB is pretty popular here in VK land, so it's actually useful. (DSB to SSB "cross-mode" QSO's work well).

FYI, The latest IJV firmware for the Quansheng UV-K5 series handhelds, supports DSB RX and TX. It is a lot of fun checking into 2m SSB (USB) nets on a $30 HT. It works surprisingly well. 2m SSB is pretty popular here in VK land, so it's actually useful. (DSB to SSB "cross-mode" QSO's work well).

Yes it does work.

Reactions: Pez
Some of the early sideband CB rigs were double sideband. It may have been a Tram Titan, or Titan 2? Neat old radios. I have never seen one in real life. Not even at a hamfest swapmeet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.