• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DSP Whateeeeveeerrr

And my new radio has decent audio and modulation, compared to the tube stuff i had or hybrids it is on par with it, certainly using a GOOD speaker.

My Junkston Ranger and Valiant have terrible receivers. The transmitted audio and modulation are FB. :D

Reactions: Rwb
My Junkston Ranger and Valiant have terrible receivers. The transmitted audio and modulation are FB. :D
everbody tells me your new yaesu sounds great,then i say humm im on my radioshack htx 212 or kenwood tw 4000a but wsit n i do fire up new yaesu.
Then i hear go back to the other radios...wonder why? No dsp in them, built in better countrys than the land of almost right?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The DSP on my yaesu is meh, but where it works well is in CW mode, not voice modes.
It would be much more effective if it was a rf processor instead of audio.
It is not why I bought the radio, it was included in the radio, but I would not have shelled out any extra coin to have it installed in the radio at the time of purchase.
Years ago I used the rad shack external speaker with dsp and learned the limits of it effectiveness back then.
Again, were it worked the best was CW mode.
They do work to a point, but if you over do it, it quickly develops the " underwater " sound.

Jeff

This is a yaesu ftm 7250 dr dsp board.flimsy factory insallaation in a (quote) RUGGED RADIO per yaessu advertizing
IMG-2075.JPG

This is what pins look like in the rugged built 7250 when the cheep walmart stickon foam rubber door gasket material is installed in wrong location. Used it mobile it would do strange things,it has now been to yaesu 3 times
IMG-2080.JPG
,there now
Itt has developed severe intermod, crappy recieve and im told it sounds like shit when mic is keyed.
If they dont fix it this time,its getting set on a fence post,my daughter is videoing it and im shooting it with a 12 guage number 4 shot.no way id sell this turd to anybody. Got another 7250 that works ok but forr how long who knows

I know little about DSP in RF reception.. I am guessing the RF RX is analogue still and it is sampled and then you have DSP algo to supress noise. Clearly if the noise blankers are DSP they are doing a good job then it is worthwhile given the large QRM many have to deal with.

But I have to say whenever I see a modern ham radio on YT and I hear that kind of swirling sound associated with DSP (similar to remote SDR RX tuners online) - to me it does not even sound like actual radio anymore. That dynamic filtering you get that makes the audio sound phasey and unstable.

When I use the radio (CRT9900 multimode) I feel I am getting a direct auditory view into another world, a window if you like.. an alive world of electromagnetic signals.. DSP kind of takes the fluidity away from the RX imo, I don't envy having to listen to that filtered juddery sound... ok so hiss can be a bit tiring on the ears but at least it sounds like actual radio reception to the ears. That DSP warble puts a layer between you and the source signals to my mind.

Then again if the difference of DSP on or off is contact or no contact then of course it is nice to have the choice.

Anyone had a situation where DSP made the difference between contact or no contact ?
(I don't mean just local QRM rejection like killing PLT or domestic power/appliance/switch mode PSU noise - which is arguable fantastic use of DSP if it can stop that cause that is a horrendous thing to have to listen to)

Last edited:
I know little about DSP in RF reception.. I am guessing the RF RX is analogue still and it is sampled and then you have DSP algo to supress noise. Clearly if the noise blankers are DSP they are doing a good job then it is worthwhile given the large QRM many have to deal with.

But I have to say whenever I see a modern ham radio on YT and I hear that kind of swirling sound associated with DSP (similar to remote SDR RX tuners online) - to me it does not even sound like actual radio anymore.

When I use the radio I feel I am getting a direct auditory view into another world.. an alive world.. DSP kind of takes the fluidity away from the RX imo, I don;t envy havng to listen to that filtered juddery sound... ok so hiss can be a bit tiring on the ears but at least it feels like actual radio reception to the ears. That DSP warble puts a layer between you and the source signals to my mind.

Then again if the difference of DSP on or off is contact or no contact then of course it is nice to have the choice.

Anyone had a situation where DSP made the difference between contact or no contact ?
(I don't mean local QRM rejection)

Made the difference?

All day, every day . . in big truck Citizen Band Mobile.

I would have thought out on the road QRM and noise floor would be non existent. Unless your truck is QRMing your radio.

THe DSP in my old FT847 was in the audio chain and worked but just, mostly used on the lightest setting if ever.
The FT2000-D DSP was in the HF section, worked a bit better but the N.B. Sucked and DSP worked just a tad better as the FT 847, used again only if needed and lightest settings.
FT991A N.B first one that works fully adjustable and don't use higher settings as 5.
DSP working fine if used on lowest settings the higer settings you get the underwater effect, but on lowest settings it works fine, still only used if really needed.
The rest of the filtering is done by audio settings Xfilters and SP820 filters in the speaker and my own ears.
First thing to do is eliminate all pesky noise sources from your own end like switched mode wall warts etc, then optimise your antnna system, and then you can use DSP if needed.

https://ac0c.com/main/page_ft5k_utune_filters.html

I purchased one these a few years back. The 80/60/40 meter unit.
I have found it very good. Though the reveiw above states that it's effectiveness is best on "out of band" interference.
Summer noise conditions, I find it very effective on noise reduction. I find I can dial back the ambient noise threshold, making for much easier listening.
I have not noticed the insertion level to be as dramatic as in the reveiw. I, IMHO have found it very good for "pulling" mobile or weak signal stations out of that ambient garbage during rag chew and even in some contest conditions.
These filters will work on the FT 950(own 1 / 17 years old now)/1200...
Ftdx3000D(which I own 2 now!:))/5000 and the 9000 series radios.
I couple this with the adjustable DSP "Contour" tuning.
(which to me "accents" the voice frequencies very well)
This is much dependent on how "Steep" you set the "slope" and bandwidth settings in the menu. Plus it is on/off switchable from the front panel also.
That slope tuning of the bandpass filtering seems to me, to be effective in reducing even adjacent signals on the band. (My 2 cents).
The reveiw above says it does not perform that way. However to me on the sometimes very crowded 80/40 meter bands, it seems to me to offer one more "tunable" circuit able to reject unwanted signals even to me some 3 - 4KC's up/down the band.
I would not give it up, from my perspective usage.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: Justme
This is a yaesu ftm 7250 dr dsp board.flimsy factory insallaation in a (quote) RUGGED RADIO per yaessu advertizingView attachment 39934
This is what pins look like in the rugged built 7250 when the cheep walmart stickon foam rubber door gasket material is installed in wrong location. Used it mobile it would do strange things,it has now been to yaesu 3 timesView attachment 39935 ,there now
Itt has developed severe intermod, crappy recieve and im told it sounds like shit when mic is keyed.
If they dont fix it this time,its getting set on a fence post,my daughter is videoing it and im shooting it with a 12 guage number 4 shot.no way id sell this turd to anybody. Got another 7250 that works ok but forr how long who knows

I used to be a big Yaesu fan, I had some older stuff by them that I considered great radios, however it seems that for a few years now the quality has slipped off the top tier.
When you start feeling like a beta tester with a new radio it's not a good thing.
They have never failed to finally fix a problem, but I don't want to have to keep sending radios back in for service starting the first week of use.
I hope they solve the problem with your radio.
Best of luck.

Jeff

The dsp on my ftdx3000a sounds excellent. No underwater sound and keeps the original rx audio fidelity. Its all about the settings. A little goes a long way.

I use a ClearSpeech DSP Base Module on every radio in my shack & a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker in my mobile.That includes my ICOM 7600 which has a great builtin DSP from the factory but the ClearSpeech makes it even better.I refuse to operate without them on any radio on any band.Everyone that has been in my shack or mobile that listed to the difference also now owns them so I'd say they agree with my ears as well. They can be over adjusted but when used properly they are The BOMB at removing Noise & I HATE NOISE & listening should not be stressful & with noise it is just that.

SIX-SHOOTER

I used to be a big Yaesu fan, I had some older stuff by them that I considered great radios, however it seems that for a few years now the quality has slipped off the top tier.
When you start feeling like a beta tester with a new radio it's not a good thing.
They have never failed to finally fix a problem, but I don't want to have to keep sending radios back in for service starting the first week of use.
I hope they solve the problem with your radio.
Best of luck.

Jeff

YAESU = YET ANOTHER EXCUSE SIMPLY USELESS {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

43 years back when i became licensed every maker of radio's tested their products with hams and used their input to get them right before the real production started and we had a new model every 3 or 4 years if we were lucky and they cost a bundle.

Now every maker just kicks the new model on the market it does not matter who the maker/brand is and the number of radio's getting back under warranty is then higher.
And we ask for new models if possible 3 or 4 every year....and if possible cheap as chips...
Kenwood and Icom had their f*cks up as well, my FT 847 is 22 years old still runs like new.
The FT2000-D is now 12 years old and still runs like new.
The FT991A is now 7 weeks old, is like the other radio's on for 18 hours a day and runs at least 16 hours digital modes at 50 watts on all bands and doesn't care about it.

SO, sorry if you had a bad one, but that can happen with every brand radio out there.

Looking around the web, I think you'll find just about every major manufacturer has had their issues with certain models.
ICOM: The 746 Pro was plagued with Screen Issues, PA driver issues (some had rigs back to service 3-4 times for same issues!)
IC-718...Early production runs had PA Bias issues (took out the Finals and Drivers)
IC-7300...IC7610's
There are other examples just look around.

IC-705 was due to be released shortly after Hamvention 2019...my understanding Software/Screen issues have plagued it also. They have held off on release now well over a year, so R&D has won out there over the production bean counters so far.
(As much as that radio looks really neat, once it's out I would still wait a year before purchase!~)

Kenwood: Certainly had major design flaws in the TS-440's and first production runs of the TS-850's then the TS-2000's.

Yaesu had their issues with the original FT-100's and FT991's (Hence both were replaced quickly with updated "A" versions)
FTdx3000D's...the first production runs had numerous Software Bugs (look at the software updates produced there in the early days.)
FT5000/9000's had the dreaded screen lighting issues.

Todays' world is ruled by Production/Sales bean counters, whom always seem to rule over R&D's best intentions.
I don't care if it's radio's, TV's... automobile /truck's manufacturing (look-up Factory Recalls on All the Big 3) for various models. Even the Top Tier manufacturers have issues (VW/Mercedes/Toyota etc.)
It is always unfortunate one someone spends their hard earn dollars to buy a product, only to have it fail or need to be returned to the manufacturer for whatever needs to be remedied.
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.