• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DSP Whateeeeveeerrr

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
I swear I have been through every evolution in DSP
and to say its some great feature? I say whatever!
I find myself turning it off or setting it at it's lowest level because to me it is as irritating as the noise it is suppose to cure. It's just a different version of irritating noise but now noise with cartoon character (Distorted) voices. I guess it just brings more people in to buy new equipment in the hopes of some technical breakthrough to give them the DXing edge. Do I find it able to pull those weak signals out of the mud? Not really! Does it reduce listen fatigue? Not really! Does it make me a better DXer? Not really! Does it keep people trading in for new equipment? Most likely! Is DSP really all that?

Not at all...

That DSP ringing sound reminds me of getting hit upside my head. Those that ever had a concussion know what I'm talking about. White noise puts me to sleep. A habit that developed as a kid from leaving my radio on all night while waiting for the band to open.

Depends on the radio, noise and band conditiions.
The FT 991A has a decent DSP keep it at the 4 lowest settings and artifacts will be minimal.
It several times dug out the other station from the muck.
It is ment to clear up noise, as well that does it good .
Try using it here on our very busy EU bands with all loud signals.
Used in concert with the other noise fighting tools it works, it never promissed to clear up all signals or produce wall to wall clean audio, just cleaning up most noise and concentrate on the counter party voice.
That it does well on the lowest settings.
At least in the FT991a, better as the DSP in the FT2000-D or DSP of the FT 847.

Reactions: Rwb
i don't use anything HF with dsp in the tx pumping ringing & chirping, can't stand digitized sound,
give me a pre 570 kenwood or pre mp yaesu for a more natural analogue sound.

dsp on rx besides sounding terrible on phone teaches ops to be lazy & not delevope a radio ear that only comes with years of listening for the weak stations down in the noise & doing the dsp function in your own head by learning to ignore the hissing crackling pops & farts.

works in the same way as why you don't hear the noisy kids or your wife asking if you want something when your concentrating on your favourite sport on tv,

you just hear the commentator & block the other stuff out,

"are you listening im talking to you"

That's a basic trained radio ear been used for tv, i prefere that over any dsp i ever heared.

My experience with DSP is limited to Citizens Band.
Mobile use, 10-12/hrs per day, 300-days/year.
(West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech DSP Speaker)

DSP has no peer
in cleaning up TX that would otherwise be unintelligible or “non-existent” for all practical purposes.

Ones radio is far better than he has imagined with ANY CB or Export unit.

It wholly changes the perception of CB Radio to those who’ve not previously experienced its use.

So, put a fence around the objection
(I’m not disputing the discussions heart).

The thread (as implied in title, expanded in first post) is simply not applicable as a basic statement, with whatever objections the OP has in mind.

As to “radio ear” any developed ability is dependent on reproduction equipment. The speaker and the room, first. A headset, second.

Go to the end of the chain and make comparisons to rule out hardware differences before blaming more-difficult-to-obtain “software”.

Stereophiles go to great lengths with room acoustics. Simple, to major. I can turn one unit a few degrees and lower the other a few inches to thoroughly change the soundstage of the soundbar I presently use at home for music. It’s almost the difference between acceptable and unacceptable. The “aim” of fire isn’t obvious (until one has some ideas about acoustic room reflections). Turing volume up & down or changing equalization aren’t in the same league

Seating & Lighting are others. Have their effect.

What’s irritating
isn’t always where the finger points.

In automotive engineering re NVH, the quieter car is regarded as having a better ride than the one to which it’s actually inferior in ride (but is louder).

Move the bench to another wall may not be practical. But it may change room reflection, ambient light level (and hearing what else is in the house, not to mention outdoors) to a whole other experience.

The half-way step is a better speaker placed to advantage IN THE ROOM and seating with excellent support (not a discarded office chair).

Helps (me) to understand that — with Radio — I am paying myself with skills and abilities developed.

“Radio Ear” (is an excellent example). The marksman enjoys his precise shots made at distance. Called upon by circumstance, he’s formidable.

Why would Radio be any different?

Last edited:
I was using TS-870S dsp rig for 16 years or so.
Best RX I ever heard i over 20 hf radios I had on my bench. TX audio suberb as well.
Now I run SDR rig, can't complain. NB filter cause jawdrop, tx and rx audio is pleasant, phone or cw operating is fun.
All analogue radios were nice, but I wouldn't trade back.
Mike

There are two types of DSP; audio and RF. IMHO the audio DSP units are not very good but do work to a degree. The problem is that they process a signal AFTER the RF stage so that the front end of the radio essentially lets all the garbage in and in the case of noise suppression really does nothing for improving the ability of a radio to dig a weak signal out of the noise very well. Signal S-9 and the noise S-8 to S-9? Small help with audio DSP. Now as for the RF DSP types those are indeed MUCHbetter. They have the ability to really isolate the wanted signal and filter it out of the noise better and THEN apply some audio processing and the result is much better. That goes for DSP on TX as well. My RF speech processor on my old Kenwood TS-820S is MUCH better than the one in my Yaesu FT-857D. The Yaesu does it at the audio level while the Kenwood does it with MUCH older technology but at the RF level. One of the IF stages actually but it is done at an RF level.

The standard of what people accept as quality audio has gone down the toilet since dsp was introduced to the tx strip of hf sets,
if you can't hear it you are very fortunate to be able to be happy with the latest offerings,

i agree rx dsp works for people that don't have a radio ear,
it also works if you don't want to really listen properly & pull signals out out but just want it on in the background only half listening while you do something else,
it works on cw too,

multiple tracking notches beat the crap out of twiddling width shift & notch trying to hear a station & get rid of the guy next to him,

but then thats not radio as i know it or like it,
i would like it if it worked without sounding like a digibot

it won't be long before amateurs are all sat staring at a big screen monitor while the pcc integrated into their radio turns the beam picks a signal, looks at various parameters to determine the chance of a reply,
the algorithm makes the call answers the guy u are 5 and 9, logs the contact & carrys on calling while scanning up and down the band ort bands listening for something to jump on and make your next contact

just gotta win that contest,

when their mic cable breaks the ifds will detect the broken wire and automatically search for the best deal on amazon & order a new mic, just in case they ever pick the mic up and talk,

the amateur will have to start smoking a pipe as theres nothing else to do but watch the screen as you progress towards the top of the list,

wonderfull.

CK
IF clippers like some of the old style rigs used did make a great increase in punch without sounding too distorted,
the clipping products fall outside the audio passband & can be filtered easy enough,
my long since retired ft301d has a dedicated crystal filter for the rf processor, it works but never sounded great just loud,

audio processors/clippers used on modern rigs have clipping products that are inside the audio pass band & can't be filtered so they sound not so good,

outboard rf clippers can also work well, i actually prefere my datong ASP to the clipper in my 830s, not much but given the choice id use the datong

That's easy, 5 & 9 lol
i don't dispute dsp works, i just don't like the sound of it & i don't like the tx of my mates 7610 with or without the sudio gear when compared to something decent sounding like a 950sdx.

Reactions: Rwb
The standard of what people accept as quality audio has gone down the toilet since dsp was introduced to the tx strip of hf sets,
if you can't hear it you are very fortunate to be able to be happy with the latest offerings,

i agree rx dsp works for people that don't have a radio ear,
it also works if you don't want to really listen properly & pull signals out out but just want it on in the background only half listening while you do something else,
it works on cw too,

multiple tracking notches beat the crap out of twiddling width shift & notch trying to hear a station & get rid of the guy next to him,

but then thats not radio as i know it or like it,
i would like it if it worked without sounding like a digibot

it won't be long before amateurs are all sat staring at a big screen monitor while the pcc integrated into their radio turns the beam picks a signal, looks at various parameters to determine the chance of a reply,
the algorithm makes the call answers the guy u are 5 and 9, logs the contact & carrys on calling while scanning up and down the band ort bands listening for something to jump on and make your next contact

just gotta win that contest,

when their mic cable breaks the ifds will detect the broken wire and automatically search for the best deal on amazon & order a new mic, just in case they ever pick the mic up and talk,

the amateur will have to start smoking a pipe as theres nothing else to do but watch the screen as you progress towards the top of the list,

wonderfull.

FT8 is well on the way to doing that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.