• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy Load Question

Florida Starduster

Dec 26, 2023
I'm looking at a MFJ 264 1,500 watts intermittent 0 to 650MHz dummy load for $129.95.
If memory, from the 70's, serves me correctly, MFJ is a good company.
I run at max 500 watts. What do you guys think of this?

Thanks for a somewhat dumb answer.
That's just Mike's way of telling you what he thinks, take no offense.

The mfj-264 will work just fine but check it over well before putting it to use. They qc isn't the greatest as with many others.

I have a 264 as well as an mfj can and I've dumped several different amounts of wattage into them without an issue.

But do check it over, I've had to tighten screws and such on the right outbof the box.

Reactions: midnight special
That's just Mike's way of telling you what he thinks, take no offense.

The mfj-264 will work just fine but check it over well before putting it to use. They qc isn't the greatest as with many others.

I have a 264 as well as an mfj can and I've dumped several different amounts of wattage into them without an issue.

But do check it over, I've had to tighten screws and such on the right outbof the box.
Thanks for the input. I will check it out before using it.

Yes, quality control from MFJ is why many now say Mighty Fine Junk.
When ham operators buy stuff from them the first order of business is to open them and check for loose/ missing hardware.
I bought a MFJ Legal Limit antenna turner from them that I had to repair out of the box from them.
If you call them about a defective unit they say " We will send you the parts and you can fix it and it will not void the warranty"
You can get a idea from that.

They also bought Ameritron Amps and the quality of that brand is also been reduced to the point where the guy that designed them will no longer work on them.
Just take the ratings with a grain of salt.

And yes Mike SP5IT can be blunt, but he means well.

Jeff

Reactions: nbsr and sp5it
Consider the oil can dummy load for high power and longer key ups. That's what I use.

You can make it yourself or get the MFJ-250x and fill it either with transformer oil which is slightly better and costs a bit more or fill it with mineral oil that you can readily buy at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

1706475557552.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree about MFJ. I bought a MFJ-1026 Phase Cancelling Noise Eliminator (or whatever the heck they call it). It arrived brand new with 2 loose SO-259 connectors (the nuts were untightened) and 2 small jumpers just rattling around loose in the case !

However, once fixed up it proved to be an amazing piece of technology. So long as you use a good noise pickup antenna, it can easily take 9 S units of noise down to less than S1. I use mine to deal with the periodic arcing of a power line down the road from me.

As said above, MFJ has a quality control issue more than anything else.

When you buy something from MFJ, they usually give you enough parts to make a good working unit....
That was good, had a laugh.....
I do agree they always have been willing to send parts if it shows up short.
I mean, I have run MFJ stuff, two different tuners, antenna analyzer, meters, cantenna so yes it all worked.. you just need enough skill to fix it if it's not right.
They are like H&Y, the cheap side of another popular online retailer. MFJ is the cheap side of say Heathkit.
They are partially assembled and lower quality but they will help you along with finishing it.

Jeff

(sorry heathkit)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks for a somewhat dumb answer.
Nothing whatsoever wrong with what Mike aka SP5IT said. It is all true. FWIW I actually have that MFJ-264 dummy load and there is NO WAY I would put any more than 100 watts into it. Sure it is rated at 1500 watts but read the manual with it..........for a MAXIMUM of 10 seconds. There is a derating curve on it and even then it is generous in it's ratings. The actual resistor used in that load is only rated for less that 100 watts. IIRC it is only a 50 or 75 watt resistor. Any amount of power for very long will burn it up......literally.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.