• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dwight d (858) distorted tx audio.

KK4MSA

May 9, 2018
SC
Good evening everyone. I have replaced all electrolytic caps in this radio, as well as the 4 to22 style transistors in the mic circuit. The only one I have not replaced is the 2sk. The receive audio sounds beautiful, the pa audio sounds great, but the TX audio sounds distorted, it's understandable just distorted. I have also tried a couple of different microphones as well.
What else would cause distorted transmit audio? It also seems as though it's not forward modulating as much as it should. A whistle will get about 17 Watts pep as opposed to a good strong audio only getting about 10. Again I have replaced all electrolytics from the microphone input to the audio chip itself. Could it possibly be the mic preamp ic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey David,
Yes, fully aligned. I should add that I got this issue squared away. I took out the audio chip,mic pre amp, all 3 xtals, and resoldered the xformer connections. I scraped every leg Individually, reinstalled and it's all good now. Sadly to say what component was the issue I do not know as I took them all out at once. Either way a win..lol. Thanks for replying.

took them all out at once
I believe you have discovered why the common advice is to remove caps one at a time, replacing each one as you go. Makes it harder to get a capacitor backwards when you're comparing the new one to the one that just came out.

I see a coin flip between a backwards electrolytic cap and a bad uPD1156 audio power amp chip.

Or a backwards cap may have damaged the 1156?

Occam's razor is a principle that all other things being equal the simplest explanation tends to be the right one. One cap, or maybe more than one with the polarity backwards is where I would look first. That's all it takes. Polarity marked on a circuit board's screen-print legend may or may not be correct. The old part that came out is nearly always turned the right way.

Take a bright light and magnifier to the pc board's solder side. A tiny solder bridge between adjacent foil traces is a common hazard when replacing that many parts. The problem could be that simple, too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.