• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX-5000

I've had a K-PO DX5000 for a few years now, and out of all my rigs, this is the only one that seems to have audio issues when connected to an amp' (RM KL203).

There are a few people here in the UK that have reported this audio issue; the general consensus is that they're poorly screened & susceptible to RF feedback.

I've not used mine in ages & it's just been relegated to the unused box. It's a shame really, because TX audio is fine without an amplifier.

I've had a K-PO DX5000 for a few years now, and out of all my rigs, this is the only one that seems to have audio issues when connected to an amp' (RM KL203).

There are a few people here in the UK that have reported this audio issue; the general consensus is that they're poorly screened & susceptible to RF feedback.

I've not used mine in ages & it's just been relegated to the unused box. It's a shame really, because TX audio is fine without an amplifier.
That's unfortunate for you and the others with that animal. The one talked about in this thread is the new version with a different main pcb. Hopefully that isn't the case here also or it can spell bad news stryker and others that will eventually share the same pcb.

The 5000 plus is the one being talked about

I know of a station that runs a V6 Anytone 5555 into an Ameritron AL-811 and it sounds great. I only mention this as I am wondering if it just might have more to do with the amp as far as the KL? Bad part is the money that would have to be spent to find out I suppose.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Looks like the SS 6900 V7 is very similar to the 5000.....wish they would do a redesign, as this style is getting long in the tooth!

Reactions: Eldorado828
I just got one of these from Scott's. Took it out of the box and it feels like it is empty. like its the display model or something. The face lights are all different colors and takes some getting used to also.

The main thing I was interested in is the noise reduction and noise gate. I am not quite sure if the noise gate works, but I think it does a little something. The DSP noise reduction on the receive is a winner for sure. I am amazed. It has the same effect as the Clear Speech speaker, except for it is not adjustable. The noise reduction is better than my Icom 718 DSP. I had a weak signal last night form some distant DX. With both radios on the switch, I could flip back and forth to see which one was best. No amount of adjusting would make the 718 emit a sound that I could copy. The DX5000 cleaned the signal up and pulled it out of the mud, I could not believe it.

The ability to select the mic input for electret is neat. The Uniden BC645 electret mic works great. This is the mic that the new little Unidens come with. I am going to open it up and see if the mic can do a little bit more treble. Otherwise it is a great match.

The bottom line:
This radio with DSP receive does the same thing as the Clear Speech DSP speaker. And they cost about the same too. Get yourself one.

Chris

I just got one of these from Scott's. Took it out of the box and it feels like it is empty. like its the display model or something. The face lights are all different colors and takes some getting used to also.

The main thing I was interested in is the noise reduction and noise gate. I am not quite sure if the noise gate works, but I think it does a little something. The DSP noise reduction on the receive is a winner for sure. I am amazed. It has the same effect as the Clear Speech speaker, except for it is not adjustable. The noise reduction is better than my Icom 718 DSP. I had a weak signal last night form some distant DX. With both radios on the switch, I could flip back and forth to see which one was best. No amount of adjusting would make the 718 emit a sound that I could copy. The DX5000 cleaned the signal up and pulled it out of the mud, I could not believe it.

The ability to select the mic input for electret is neat. The Uniden BC645 electret mic works great. This is the mic that the new little Unidens come with. I am going to open it up and see if the mic can do a little bit more treble. Otherwise it is a great match.

The bottom line:
This radio with DSP receive does the same thing as the Clear Speech DSP speaker. And they cost about the same too. Get yourself one.

Chris
You need to do more write ups, you're pretty good at them dude. That's the most info I've learned about that animal and have to say it sounds enticing. You say it has the option of dynamic or electret mic?

Going off of the pictures, I personally didn't much care for the multi-colored face. Looks like the quad 5 from top gun takes the reigns in appearance of the clones.

Reactions: H1driver
I really like mine. Yes you can select either dynamic or electret mic in the menu. I made an adapter using a 90 degree 4 pin plug out to a male mic jack. The #4 pin should not be connected, so I just made the 90 that way. Now I can connect any of my 4 pin mics without changing anything. The noise reduction circuit is Incredible. I do not understand the thought behind the different color lights, I would prefer they matched. I believe I heard him say last night he had 3 left and was thinking it would be summer before he got more.

You need to do more write ups, you're pretty good at them dude. That's the most info I've learned about that animal and have to say it sounds enticing. You say it has the option of dynamic or electret mic?

Going off of the pictures, I personally didn't much care for the multi-colored face. Looks like the quad 5 from top gun takes the reigns in appearance of the clones.
Thanks man, I often wonder what I could have done with CB Radio Magazine when it was for sale. At the time, I knew nothing about radios. (Still don't)

The menu has a setting for dynamic or electret like some of the newer President radios. It would be interesting to wire a studio mic and a ptt switch into a 4 pin plug. The AM modulation is just over 100% out of the box. It would be great if the attack level of the modulation limiter was adjustable in the engineering menu. This would put it square into Galaxy side mic territory. We will see what people figure out as this radio becomes more popular. Scott's Radio is the only place I have seen it so far.

Chris

I really like mine. Yes you can select either dynamic or electret mic in the menu. I made an adapter using a 90 degree 4 pin plug out to a male mic jack. The #4 pin should not be connected, so I just made the 90 that way. Now I can connect any of my 4 pin mics without changing anything. The noise reduction circuit is Incredible. I do not understand the thought behind the different color lights, I would prefer they matched. I believe I heard him say last night he had 3 left and was thinking it would be summer before he got more.
Knights in the UK sel them but out of stock till the summer.

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d2.html

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I've had one about two weeks and concur with Shadetree on the NC performance. Some complain it changes the voice to a more mechanical/computer sound. I found turning off the ANL/NB reduces this effect. Also with ANL/NB and NC on there is a small noise burst when you unkey. I run mine barefoot most of the time but also us a RM KL 503HD with it. With the DK set to about 2 watts(radio) the AMP DKs at 65watts and PEAKs at 275watts using my DAIWA 901HP and uses 18 amps DC which is close to the 20 DC amps they expect it to use at the rated 300watts. I use a by-pass switch vice running the radio through the AMP with the AMP off/barefoot. I also don't us the AMP attenuator. I use a K-PO NM-532 and get great reports.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.