• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx in South Texas

Thanks for the Solar heads up camaro1 - hitting today/tomorrow!

Good weekend on 20/17m couple Ukraine's, European Russia, Slovakia, Macedonia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Jan Mayen, and Kazakhstan.

On 11m got Tappi 201SD066 for a 3rd time on Sunday 6pm - 5/5

Conditions improved 100% today vs yesterday!! Great! Hope this week and weekend will stay up.
Philpoh.....great contacts!

Skip rolled in from Chicago tonight. I talked to 527(28 am). I guess he was amazed to hear a mobile come in so strong. He thought I was running power but I'm keying a legal 4 watts carrier. Made one contact with another base in S.C.(38lsb) Probably 60 or 70 miles from me.

Last edited:
Was only on for about 20min last night - 20/17 was open to N Europe.

On 17m heard JW7XM Svalbard Island, he had a huge pileup - said he was getting great Northern lights show at that time, also said he will be on all week.

Philpoh

Much improved today here....Europe was back this morning, Australia was back this afternoon....Bahama dx expedition was working a pileup of European stations this morning

Today was good here...strong Europe this morning about 8am cst. Many stations were 5/5 +.....Congo activation was heard but no contact. The pileup was crazy!
During his conversations stations were calling? I felt some were just calling on the freqency....had not heard him at all? I listened on and off for a hour or so, his signal was 4/5. About an hour later Angola was on at 5/7 working usa, s America and Canada. His signal was much stronger. Azores was very strong as well as some canary island and s Africa stations. Later about 2-3 pm i began to hear a few 41-43 div. and one station from the Philippines about 500 cst.
All and all a good day....my skypper was up at 18 feet at the beach...rejection is great! The front end is very wide but it works well....good dx

Thanks for the Congo DXpeditions heads up ghutch!
Sunday 11m prop was much improved on Sunday, watched DX27 clusters for possible contacts for me. Had a nice qso with 327KL137 Slovenia 5/7 Peter - heard him for at least 2 hours on Sunday.
Saw on cluster 214/156AT011 at 9am on Sunday - listened for awhile, heard many trying till about 11am - at the same time had a carrier on that freq making it hard to hear. Did hear him about 2/1 signal.
Heard Andy 101AT170 on Sat at 5pm with a 5/8 signal - nice signal into Ohio.

On 20/17m few DXpeditions into Africa was heard this weekend:
J52HF Guinea Bissau 3/2 huge pile up - did not work
9U4U Burundi 4/4 huge pile up - did not work
Worked TJ3AY Cameroon 5/3 split huge pile up - but made some calls only to N America which helped me.
Did hear RI1ANU South Shetland Island 1/1
Philpoh

Just made a good strong contact with 933 Arizona from my mobile using my CRE-8900 with stock mic and mic gain set to 45 and Sirio PerformerPL500 w/145 mag mount. :love:
Channel 38 LSB
For some reason all my DX contacts are made parked in the Burger King parking lot on town and facing west.
Update: made a strong contact with 444 Mojave Desert 38 LSB in my back yard.
Strong contact with 153 Central Wyoming on 27.425 MHz
Another contact from San Diego but couldn't make out the call sign on 27.425 MHz

Last edited:
Nope. The Sirio Performer appears to work a lot better than the K40. I'm thinking the coax is better too. My iPhone 5 is so noisy that my radio picks it up as a monotone medium high ring. With my K40,all I had to do was bring the phone near the radio to hear it. With the Sirio,it's quiet inside but bring the phone to the edge of the windshield and side windows and the radio picks it up. iPhone's have a noisy touch screen especially when using it. Plug in the phone to charge it and I pick up 5 s units of noise. On skip conditions when someone came in very strong, I immediately called their call sign and they called my call sign. I'm really pleased with the Sirio's performance. It's the next best thing to having a 102" whip on the roof of my car.

Ck out K0BG.COM section on bonding. Lowered my noise level at least 50-60%
If ya can't hear um ya can't workum. As conditions go south lower signals are the norm. That web site is mobile installations best.

Good activity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 169
This Sat/Sun was almost too much - think I have "CQ Contest" burned in from 20m contest going on!
I got over 40 new countries this weekend all on 20m and close to 100 logged contacts - had to walk away after awhile.
Couple of ones that I have never heard before:
4O3A Montenegro
C4N Cyprus
ER4DX Moldova
GZ5Y Shetland and Fair Isle, UK
VP5H Turks & Caicos
YL3FT Latvia
OH0X Aland Islands
CT3DZ Madeira Islands
OM1ADX Slovak Republic
RC9O Asiatic Russia

Philpoh

11m europe was crazy sat, all day long band never even opened up to any north america in wisconsin, all overseas all day long s20+

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.