• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX locations

I have been told to back up to a tall metal chain link fence to give you the edge. I know the Walt witmann bridge between NJ and PA is a good place to blast the locals.

If you are near saltwater it is GREAT, park close as possible to the water without getting the auto all salted up. You'll notice an increase in signals as you get near the beach to bay front. Use a vertical antenna. I've grounded the bumper with cables into the water and really can't say it was a great increase? In fact can't say it made any?? On my mobile antenna.
I have however noted a difference when placing a maco ground plane so the mast was in the water, antenna base was at about 7 feet above the water.
Google "vertical learnings" a good article on saltwater and Dx.
I've work about 140 countries mobile and a mag mount....5 watt QRP contacts on many. The ground plane yielded 72 countries in 24 hour contest a few months ago.
Without saltwater ?? Get as much height as ya can! Good luck 73

Reactions: 2 people
Yep, I use the intercostal waterway here in Daytona Beach, park at the water and aim north, Mother Nature sure provides a wonderful ground plane. Saltwater is a great conductor of electrically. It does make a difference parking by the salt water IMO. Some guys I know used to do the chain thing as well, I tried it, but found that like posted, driving your vehicle Down into the water worked best. I wouldn't suggest doing this with any vehicle that you plan on using as a daily driver either as salt water can and will eat some metal up. I find that Parking as close to the water as I can works. All the locals can tell when I go to my spot down at the intercostal. Just my experience.

Reactions: 1 person
Just made a contact from NY to station 437 in Corpus Christie, Texas on my barefoot Magnum 257 with a Wilson 5000 in a soft top Jeep Wrangler in the middle of buildings and no where near salt water. Anything is possible...LOL

Where is the best place to park your mobile for dx?

Usually wherever mother nature dictates for that particular moment at your particular location. The only rule of thumb I can offer is to be as far away from noisy sources like power lines, neon signs, etc., as you can be.

Reactions: 1 person
Apparently, the best place to park your mobile for dx, is at the 140A next to the Pilot...

Haha that's some funny $hit right there! What tow is he actually in? I thought he was local just with a1000W linear. I never tried to find the exit. Just assumed. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They (supposedly it's a man and woman, I've seen the woman never seen the man) are in van horn TX. I hear him and her ( tho they sound eerily similar to ) from all over ND, AL, FL, GA.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.