• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx500 vs DX1600

I have been using a couple of Texas Star DX500 amplifiers after the Stryker SR955 radios in my trucks for about 2~3 years. They work very well together. The TS500's take the output from the 955's just fine with no issues......
I set the am output from the 955's at 4 watts dead key and then just let the radio and amps do their thing on am and SSB .......
So go ahead, it will be okay.
I also have another SR955 as one of my radios in the "shack". It drives a Texas Star DX1600 V "Sweet Sixteen" ......
I also set the am output on the radio at 4~5 watts dead key output. It drives the 1600 very well, up to 1200~1300 watts output.
So do not be afraid of it. It will do just fine......

Yeah, I pretty sure the new ones come from the box with DEIs...will find out Monday. I don’t plan to run it hard, so we’ll see how it goes with them. And if or when they fail, I have a few Toshibas stashed away :)

I'm curious if the manufacturer of Texas Star has switched to HG or still has a shipping container full of dei transistors.

Reactions: 2NC995
Lucky me!

44725145-FB9D-44A2-91EC-F715CF079EA4.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I don't know if your planning on running that 1600 in the mobile or on the base but it is going to draw around 150 Amps on SSB. If your going to use it on the base, I would get a 200 Amp power supply to give you a little head room.

Reactions: 2NC995
Ok, so not very legit testing because I used an antenna (and cheap meter).

1000hz tone into mic...With radio showing 25 PEP amp on shows 500W nearly on the nose. More from the radio didn’t showed only slight gains, so I backed it off to produce about 450.

Haven’t messed with AM.

Reactions: CB590

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated