• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX88HL SSB issues

bigwheel82

Feb 24, 2011
North East Corner
Hi guys! New to the forum here, but I've recently acquired an older "88". I've noticed through some recordings through a friend that when on sideband, upper or lower, he says that he can't ever seem to dial me in, and when listening to the audio it's very "scratchy" and "choppy". I can see on the freq. counter that when I modulate it will go from 27.305 down to almost 27.295. A.M. and F.M seem to work really well I've been told but the sideband is an issue. I'm looking to get this radio back to working 100%. Just wondered if anyone had an idea of what this may be and how bad could it be to have repaired.

Thats the nature of that particular beast they have ascillator issues unfortunate that they do but Ive talked with Galaxy about this very issue which is present in the 88 and 99 models. They are great AM radios but as far as SSB look at a different radio.

Ill have to find the emails I received from Galaxy's tech department about the iisue those were nice radios otherwise.

Sounds like a couple issues, could be that the modulation limiter has been removed which would account for the scratchy/fuzzy audio. I mistuned driver or final bias potentiometer will also cause this.

If you know of a local tech, it wouldn't hurt to have a good re-alignment done to the radio, and to fix unseen problems, like missing modulation limiters, swing mods, mistuned transmit stage, ,etc.

If you wish to do it yourself, and you have the necessary equipment, you can go to www.cbtricks.com , and go to "Radio Information", click on "G", then go to Galaxy "DX" radios. You'll find your model in there.

However, I DO agree with TonyV in that most Galaxy radios aren't really a super SSB performer, they have known drifting issues and oscillator problems. They work okay, but be prepared to "chase" the person you're talking to with your clarifier. They work great AM/FM, tho.

The reason I like my Galaxy Saturn Turbo, however, is because it is based off the Ranger 2970 (pre-DX) platform. It's not the same board as the boards used in the 77, 88, and 99. Get a good alignment done on that 88, and for the most part, you'll do fine with it.

~Cheers~

I will have to agree with most of what has been said about your radio with one exception. I run one of the older 88's, too. I love to talk both AM and SSB DX, and my radio rocks on both. When I am dialed in the back knob is straight up, and I fine tune the receive from other stations with the front knob; most stations are at the same place on the dial with not too much dialing in. I get great feedback from stations local, and long distance about the quality of my audio from operators who use both CB and Amateur equipment. I am not disputing the fact that these Galaxy radios tend to drift, but mine doesn't shift frequency counter readings with key up, and remains rock steady on frequency once set. I had the alignment looked into, and I keep it turned on 24/7 because some of the frequency drift is associated with the radio needing to warm up when first turned on.
My point is to say there is no need to give up on your radio. As said, get it aligned. Keep it warmed up. Find the best settings for audio quality. Be sure there are no clipped audio limiters, there is a better way to achieve awesome audio without disabling the SSB performance with clipping parts out.

I have owned at least 4 of these radios over time, and each has had the problems you speak of to some greater or lesser degree, but all of them were fixable with good results.

It is a radio worth fixing and using.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I did take the covers off, and on the solder side, there are a few points on the board that are missing, and a few shabby looking solder joints, but I don't know a thing about what makes the radio work. I was mainly concerned on whether or not I should look into having it repaired or am I wasting my $$ and a good techs time. In retrospect, I don't think I overpaid for the radio, it's just, I like things to function as they should with what they've been given. Talking on sideband is fun, specially when the skip comes around. I've made alot of contacts with good reports on my 148<side mic> that I snagged @ a yard sale for $7!!!!!!!! Never touched it. Just saved it. I paid $76 for the DX88 off E-bay. Crap-shoot, yes. And it does work. I understand that the Galaxy's do drift around. I read that about all of them. They are very nice radios. I have a 929 in my Jeep and buddies tell me that it's a great sounding radio. Good ears, good transmit, and it's been tuned to be powerful yet not overdriven. But to the point that I can't use SSB on the 88 makes it incomplete and to that I am not satisfied. Sounds like when I get some x-tra $$, off she'll go.

Off to see the Wizard!

Well, looks like tomorrow my DX88 will be off to get checked out! (y) Kind of xcited to see how it turns out and what kind of a chooching I'll get. I think from now on I may just stick to buying "new" radios!

Well, after talking with my "tech", he said that someone had been in the radio and had done some "shotty" work, including an NPC mod. :blink: Replaced a few of these and those, retuned, aligned, and said it seems good as new(y)
I'll be picking it up on Tuesday, and can't wait to get it hooked up to try er out again.

As it would be, LSB is still not right. From what I understand at this point, USB is far better than LSB. Heard it in the shop, and it sounded right, get it home, talk with my buddy and he claims it's a little better but still about the same:confused: Recieve is good, AM,FM & USB are good, but LSB TX is scratchy. How could this be the only function on the radio that isn't functioning right? There must be something so simple, so small, that it slipped through. :censored:

Think I found it.....!

After many hours of searching, looking & reading, I do believe I may have found the problem.:w00t: After not being happy with the end result coming back from the "TECH" I opened the radio and started looking around for myself. Seems to be that TR53 is the Audio Limiter, and upon further inspection, it appears to be snipped!:sneaky2: That should explain the scratchy audio on SSB. I guess sometimes when you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself! Anyone know xactly what part this Limiter is so I can resolder it back together, and will I have to retune the radio?

its a 2SC945 transistor.
there are many subs that would also work.
very common transistor and should be easy to find one in pretty much any junk radio that you have.

then just turn VR14 all the way up for max modulation on AM.

the thing is, this would affect both USB and LSB, so if you are experiencing a problem in only one mode, this may not be the cure. i would replace it anyway though.

the radio might need the IF coils aligned, as there are separate adjustments for AM, LSB, and USB.

could also be dirty contacts on the mode switch. not sure if its a sealed switch or not, but if not, you can clean it with contact cleaner. (not WD40)

your tech should have looked at both these things if he is any good.
also, the NPC mod has nothing to do with SSB and adding or removing it would have no effect on it.

hate to say it, but it sounds like your tech is the typical solder jockey who bashes anyone elses work to justify the price he charged you for unsoldering one part.
LC

Even though it's currently "bad" in just LSB... I was still suspecting a removed mod limiter... TR53 controls the ALC adjustment so that would explain why SSB is still questionable. Also take a look to see if TR32 is removed.. that is located in the front right corner of the radio, near the microphone jack. Do what LC says, replace TR53, and also TR32 if it is gone, and adjust VR12 which your SSB power adjustment (ALC) so you get good clean audio. Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~

LC, I think you're on to something about the "TECH" being a solder jockey!:LOL: That is one thing he would do everytime I went down... Self Glorification! It's a live and learn situation and to that I tip my hat. If I'm going to get involved in a hobby, I might aswell know the ins & outs.

I too was thinking that maybe it's the mode switch aswell, as it is a little scratchy between modes. LSB is deff. the worst of the bunch of what I've heard. Let my friend borrow the radio for a couple of days and I had his radio and to my suprise it wasn't xtremely bad but deff in need of someting. What else is there that I could use? Looked @ RATSHACK and they dont' have the 2SC945 which I verified inside the radio.

XIT13, you had it right all along, it just took me awhile to make my way around and figure out what the hell the AMC was! I'm not knowledged in the radio workings yet but this is a great experience for me and you guys are deffinately a great help. (y) I've got a SoundCrapper that my buddy is using for a talkback module that I'll check for a 2SC945. Thankyou soo much for all the help and I'll be sure and let everyone know how it's turning out!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.