• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX99V help needed

W5KGP

Aug 18, 2023
I recently snagged a DX99V off of ebay and have been having some TX issues, So I have gone investigating the issues. Upon taking off covers I have found TR32 Missing, the Band Mod done, Various VRs not soldered, and this mysterious blue jumper and Diode on the trace side of the board.

From reasearch on schematic, I have the EPT-3600 14B PCB. From what I can tell, this jumper and small diode (1n914) are, at least not included in the schematic. Does anyone have an idea of potential mods this could be? I've loked though various mods and cannot really pinpoint the mod.
20230804_103244.jpg

Hello Pierce, This appears to be the NPC-RC modification which stands for Negative Peak Compression- Reduced Carrier..... The diode is missing a 100 ohm resister and the blue wire is volting the final to 12 volts.. This mod when done correctly will allow the radio to operate with a 2 watt carrier and over 100 percent Modulation..

Reactions: W5KGP
Some of the potentiometers won't have a leg soldered, they just slip into the pcb hole. That's the way they are.

And the mod on the bottom is wrong from the start! They used blue wire..... what a hack! It was famously known as the RWOB (red wire on the bottom) mod. Geeeez! Just joking, I had to do it.

Reactions: W5KGP and Smokinone
NPC-RC. Diode should have 100 Ohm resistor in series. I would add that resistor and leave.
Mike

Hello Pierce, This appears to be the NPC-RC modification which stands for Negative Peak Compression- Reduced Carrier..... The diode is missing a 100 ohm resister and the blue wire is volting the final to 12 volts.. This mod when done correctly will allow the radio to operate with a 2 watt carrier and over 100 percent Modulation..
Awesome, I did not know the mod. I will add the Resistor and go from there!
When you say "not soldered", are you refering to 1 of the 3 legs not being soldered? If so, that's normal.
Ok, I wasn't sure. that Narrows the work I have to look into now.

Thank you all for the welcome and the replies!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.