• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dx99v2 issue

rumblefish

KD2NDZ
Nov 26, 2011
Point Pleasant NJ
I've had this radio into the shop twice now for alignment issues. For some reason when i'm on am or fm if I tune the radio 2 khz lower people come in louder with more signal. I also come in louder and have more signal to them. ssb doesn't have this problem. The tech that work on it said it's probably due to the way the crystal is cut and the circuitry that controls it. The only other person I know who runs this radio has the same issue. Any other dx99v2 owners notice this? As far as I can remember my 949 and the older 99v didn't have this problem. steve.

if SSB is fine he may just need to align AM and FM a little better. this is the 1st i have heard of any one having this problem. can not see how SSB is fine and not AM. I am at a loss on this without seeing the radio. so a guess is about all I can think of.
go along with Mike on the alignment.

Either/both the loop osc AM coil and AM output osc coil - are set off center freq.
But to be ~2khz is considerably way off.

Strange that the AM is off and SSB is correct, since AM is easier to adjust and SSB is a bit trickier to adjust.

Just a guess; but it appears that the tech took AM for granted and focused only on SSB.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyD
Either/both the loop osc AM coil and AM output osc coil - are set off center freq.
But to be ~2khz is considerably way off.

Strange that the AM is off and SSB is correct, since AM is easier to adjust and SSB is a bit trickier to adjust.

Just a guess; but it appears that the tech took AM for granted and focused only on SSB.

I've had it to two different technicians and an rf engineer. The radio is on frequency. If the meter displays 27.185, I am transmitting and receiving at that frequency.

The engineer saw this problem first hand. He said It might be remedied by getting a better crystal for it ,but there was no guaranty
I think if the radio was used in a mobile set up, you wouldn't notice the difference.
I'm using mine as a base station.and the other gentlemen who has the same problem is using his as a base station also. It still doesn't make any sense to me.
I will try to take a video of it and post it here if possible. 73

I see a lot of radios made by RCI that have an off-frequency ceramic filter in the 455 kHz AM-FM section of the receiver.

A signal generator that can feed 455 kHz into the receiver will reveal an off-frequency ceramic filter. Just sweep the signal frequency up and down until the noise has the lowest pitch. You'll probably find that the filter is tuned to 456.5 or 457 kHz.

This puts the AM receiving frequency off the center of the clarifier even though all the SSB adjustments are dead on the money.

Only cure is to replace the CFU455H ceramic filter.

RF Parts has them, part number is "GALXFLTR-1".

Reactions: BBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated