• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Eagle 525 Base Linear?("Not Golden or Browning")

It HAS been a long time, I did not remember the model number but it was the crystal socket on the chassis that made that model stand out.

i would really like to convert this to a 2 driving 5 EL-509's amp.

should be able to build a doubler for the voltage.

would need a filament transformer. simple enough.

carrier operated relay is a bit complicated for me, but i might be able to build one if specific enough instructions found their way to me.

i dont know at all if the tune and load controls would be the right values or not.

i think i have alot of learning yet to do before i can tackle this project.

sure would be neat to build my own 1K tube box though!!!

will try to take some pics of the inside.
loosecannon

Eagle 525 Linear

I am looking for any and all information on a Eagle 525 tube base linear. This is not a golden or browning linear. I am looking to purchase it, But I need to know some information first. I was told it has been re-capped and re-tubed with very little use since it was done. I need to know how many watts to expect deadkey and peak, How many and what tubes does this unit use? How much is a fair price to pay for this unit? ect. ect. Anything that you guys know that you could tell me about this unit would be extremelly helpful. I want to go into this purchase with some good info on the unit. I have searched the internet and could find nothing on this unit. Please help me.

Thanks,
I have one in the same condition it does about 1200 watts on my meter. It seems to be a great linear.I dead key 2 to 3 watts in it and it does 1200 on high and 450 on low.I would not take less than $500 for mine It has 7 20lr6 tubes
hobo

I think you need this picture. I think it was the resistor.
I'll be sure to pull that up out of reach so it don't get zapped on my amp.

That VIII looks sweet!
Anyone have the manual or 515 mod from 20M CW to 11M Linear?

pheniiwin7085.gif

p14204341.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, anything in the vicinity of 120 pf is going to allow you more tuning range which should allow you to see a peak in the tuning without the load gang being fully meshed or fully open; something in the middle. 120 pf to 150 pf at 2 Kv would be just what the doctor ordered in that application.

late80s.jpg

As a former owner of one of these amplifiers and, having worked on scores of them I don't think you can go wrong if the price suits your taste.

After (and if) you get ahold of it, I will help you through any problems that you might have if it takes a little repair work to make it run; I'm sure I can talk you through them.

"Kilo-Oscar-Zero-Mike"

Could you tell me how many watts to drive the amp?
I have a DX99V with 3W deadkey now.

Thanks

MY AUNT IS INTERESTED IN SELLING HER EAGLE 525 AND ALL THE COMPONENTS THAT GO ALONG WITH IT. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME VIA THIS SITE OR BY E-MAIL @ FREETOYC@YAHOO.COM. PLEASE SERIOUS OFFERS ONLY

problem with an eagle 500

the amp seems to work good but when i try to talk dx on sideband i have been told i sound poppy and schratchy but plenty loud almost a little off freq. but reg am is fine tried a 2970 and a custom cobra 2000 on it with the same results any help would be appreciated and thanks

Kenrich Eagle 500

I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd add to it rather than start a new one. I have an opportunity to get a Eagle 500. The only problem it has is this. You put it in tx mode to talk but when you unkey you have to switch it back to standby because the present owner says the relay sticks.
#1 Do you think the relay is easily locatable?
#2 If the Eagle 500, 515, and 525 each have the same tube compliment, what are the differences in wattage output and why?

3's

I like my 515.

Let my throw this out there. I have 4 HR2510's, one of them, when hooked up to this amp, keeps the relay keyed, even after I am done TXing. So have you tried another radio?

Also, my 515 is 2 driving 5. With the 39 watts PEP from the 2510, it'll do 1K on SSB all day long.

As far as a replacement relay, is that is the issue, I am sure you could find something to fit, all depends on your electrical skills. But I would if it keys, but doesn't unkey, You may have a different issue that is keeping some voltage to the keying transistor, which is keeping the relay keyed.

I would try a different radio fist, or, try turning the mic gain all the way down and see if it still does it. I only say this because mine was acting the same way with the on radio.

Keep us informed

Mel,
'Amateurishly' doesn't necessarily mean 'ham'. It does refer to the way the thing is wired, it is done sort of 'amateurishly', doesn't look very 'professionally' done. From a discription of it's history, it 'sounds' like it's been 'done'/'re-done' sort of haphazardly.
All things considered, it's probably not a bad deal if it's cheap enough. Just don't think there's all that much to recommend it though.
- 'Doc
My 525 won't key up can you help with any information on component I nred to test

All can tell you on the 525 is that I was part of the building process at kenrich electronics in Okla city in I believe the mid 70s and I got a few friends some good deals on one.

Ok, Here is the situation now. Here is pictures of the inside of this Kenrich Eagle 525. If you look on the "Load" roller inductor there is a missing electrical component. there is a wire on each side of the roller inductor but nothing in the middle. Could you please tell me what component and value belongs there inbetween the two wires? The guy finally remebered why it has not been hooked up in 8 years. From what he said that component was between the size of a nickle and a quarter, He took it out because it was no good and never replaced it. now the part is lost and he has no idea what it was or what value belongs there. Any idea what kind of trauma may have caused that part to fail? Could it just have been weak and let go? I need to know what it is so it can be replaced for testing before I even think about buying it. What is a fair price do you think I should pay for this unit?

Thanks all for the help,
I used to build those amps I can't remember back 40 years but I will look and see what I can find it was built in Okla city I believe there three or four of us with soldering irons in hand eight hours a day.

My 525 won't key up can you help with any information on component I nred to test
There the fixed coil above the variable inducter should have a little black sharpe line on it one is for ham the other is for 11 meter band I don't think it will key if set wrong you will have to unsoldered the wire on I think was the third or fourth wind and move it to the other wind.

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.