• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Eagle 525 Base Linear?("Not Golden or Browning")

Two wires?

I see more than two.

What I do see is the Final Load control, with way too few plates to do the whole job.

But it's what they used.

The fat round ceramic disc cap is a 130pf part rated for 6000 Volts DC. The lead wire coming out of the side we can see on this part is connected to the ground wire that runs up against the inside of the front panel. The lead coming out of the far side of this part, where we can't see it should connect to the "hot" side of the Load control, the fat wire soldered to the two rear-facing posts of this control. This puts the disc capacitor in parallel with the Load control.

This disc capacitor adds 130pf to the range of that knob. This serves to make up for the too-tiny Load control. It's too small to do the whole job, but it fits in the space available. Musta been cheap.

Any time you find that the Load control has to go all the way to full mesh to get max peak power, you may need to add another capacitor in parallel with this one. It should be large enough to withstand the RF current at that part of the circuit.

The small coil is called a 'safety' choke. It's connected where it should be. It serves mostly to reduce the chance of an arc across the too-thin spacing of the Load control's plates.

Everything in the pic appears to be hooked up correctly. The parts we can see, at least. No telling what's hiding behind that big disc capacitor.

This is wonderful seeing all these comments and pictures.
I worked for Kenrich Electronics for many years, my job was final testing and repair of the entire line of Eagle transmitters.
For the record, that 120pf 1kv (for 15meter use) cap was cut out in the 10meter conversion (where this one is strapped) most of the time for tuning issues.

I used to build those amps I can't remember back 40 years but I will look and see what I can find it was built in Okla city I believe there three or four of us with soldering irons in hand eight hours a day.
David, 5636 NW Expy.
I was there 1979-1992 I was the test & repair tech.
Still have all the original full size schematics on all the Eagle Amps.

RLVAlleman I seen your comment on my video.

Its a pleasure to meet you, those amps were kick ass and built to last.
Silver micas everywhere.

Were they related to the golden eagle line?
Not related to the Golden Eagle. My favorite memory about those amps was listening to radio traffic at home and hearing someone key up with that fan in the background, the most distinguishable sound in those days was that fan :~)
I melted a wedding ring all the way to the bone into my finger while tuning a 3d8 custom amp at the shop swinging 1.5kw, 1/2 a second and that ring just disappeared.

Not related to the Golden Eagle. My favorite memory about those amps was listening to radio traffic at home and hearing someone key up with that fan in the background, the most distinguishable sound in those days was that fan :~)
I melted a wedding ring all the way to the bone into my finger while tuning a 3d8 custom amp at the shop swinging 1.5kw, 1/2 a second and that ring just disappeared.

What? how?

RVAlleman that address sounds like it was in Oklahoma City. I remember there being a couple places up in that area in the 70's and 90's. is that where you were at.

that was what I was thinking when I saw the address you posted. I did a lot of dealing with Capital electronics in the 70's and 80's buying radios from them. bought from a few other wholesalers but capital was the ones I bought the most from. a very close friend has retired , or at least simmi retired from a shop in Moore, Okla. he has had it for over 50 years now. his Dad opened it way before Mike took it over.

The Capitol Electronics building was sold to Patrick Swayze's mothers dance company, he showed up there for part of the opening. The owner (Bob T.) semi retired and moved down to Texhoma area. The owner of Kenrich (Ken W) passed away in 1998.
A lot of fond memories from those days of Kenrich, Capitol Electronics, Dulaneys, Radio Supply and Radio Inc.

Don and Gary that were at capital electronics now have Tram Browning antennas in Edmond , Okla.
I forget who is the actual owner . think it is Gary. not real sure. my buddy at the shop knows them very well. they use to use him when they 1st got started to try out their supplies and what had to be done to make them better back in the day.
I was thinking Bob had the cb supply store at marker 72 Pauls Valley for a few years before going down to Texhoma area.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?