• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

I'm not sure. I started buying the NOS Realistic for nostalgic reasons. My brother has a GE mobile with the big meter on it and sounded real good so I thought I'd get me one. It's a nice one. I wanted to get a Royce because I've never owned one and got the 1-604. The guy who sold me the GE and the Royce has the 1-658 23 channel for sale. It's a beauty. Today's offerings don't get me going. My brother collects old radios and other stuff. He likes collecting mint and NOS items.

I just sent DTB Radio three radios to tune and align. They are the Royce 1-604,GE 3-5813B,and the Radio Shack(Cobra/Uniden in Shack clothes)TRC-443. All three were bought off of Ebay. Of these three,the Shack radio was advertised on Ebay as new,never been used but it shows signs of having been slightly used. The other two have never been used. I've included the R/S with the others because it has potential as a daily talker and it's got chrome.
Also,I want DTB's opinion of the condition if these NOS/NIB 17&33 year old radios. Namely the capacitors and operating voltages on various components. I want to put an end to the debates about recapping radios as least as in reference to my radios. I'll see if I got my $170's worth. (y)

Just got my newest batch if NOS radios. This is a NOS Realistic TRC-443 made in 1996.
Checking the 443 out and it's just as the ebay seller described which is NOS and never used. Got it hooked up and it's working normally for a Stock Realistic. Power is within specs along with modulation. Got a good radio report on it.
On this radio in order to turn up the modulation X3 has to be disabled. I don't know what X3 is. Another website says to adjust RV450.
It takes a Galaxy stock hand mic. The Xtreme 2018 made it squeal but the 2018's output gain might be set too high. I bought this OBO which was $16

Update:slightly used

Update

I just got an email from DTB Radio.
The Radio Shack TRC-443 was by Maxon, and is a really low-end board in the transmit department. There's not much that can be done as far as modifying the transmit. This is basically a glorified version of Cobra's really lowes-end 19 models, and I dont mean the good 19's. When they work, they have good receive and adequate transmit. However, these are VERY prone to loose connections.

GE 3-5813B:One cap(was changed)in the GE, the main audio ouput cap. Not because it was needed, but because from the factory the value is inadequate. The change gives the radio better audio on both the receive and transmit.

Royce 1-604:The AMC in the Royce is very slow-acting, but does work well. It probably yields the most natural-sounding tone of the three. As for loudness, I would give the edge to the GE,
(y)

Last edited:
Just received my NOS/NIB GE 3-5813A. It's made in Japan. It's in a factory state of tune too. $79.95 back in the day. Doesn't have a RF gain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 7
I did some testing with my GE radios with stock mic's and with a Road Devil mic. The GE's have a mic preamp built in to where all that needs to be done is adjust the modulation pot to one's preference. The 3-5813B that I just got back from having DTB do a basic tune,I used that to set a reference base for the other GE modulation wise(read Redman CB Modulation meter)It also helped me set a fellow CB'er's GE 3-5814A. I gave him a brand new RD mic that I had gotten for myself but didn't need. However,the GE has a high enough audio gain to where all the Road Devil did was make it squeal. I had to keep the Road Devil's volume slider almost all the way off. So,standard stock GE hand mic is what's in it and sounds good. The guy's radio sounds good on the air.

talk about a markup. :eek::rolleyes:

The guy's selling off his stash of radios he's bought over a few decades. The Royce and the two GE's I bought from him are NOS/NIB never been touched and work. He is coming down on the price of his radios as time goes by. The SBE Land Commander LCB-8 has been marked down to just under three bills.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1