• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

Received my Royce power/swr meter today. It looks new and never been used. The dust on it suggests it was a display item at one time. This meter feels like a brick weight wise. The SO-239 connectors look like they've never been touched and still have protective caps on them. I'll test it after I go into town today and pick up a new coax jumper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 3
Royce 2-098 schematic

According to the operator's manual, this meter was made back in the 23 channel radio days. It's swr measuring instructions say to adjust the radio being tested to channels 11,12, or 13.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 3
The Royce is sure one stingy meter. I'm guessing that it's not a peak reading meter. I calibrated it to my CRE-8900. One low power position with the 8900's rf power set to 1 watt it swings to 2 watts on modulation. On high power position with the 8900 set to 10 watts it swings to 12 watts. At least it shows a proper dead key power reading. Stingy,stingy,stingy.
Anyone know how to make this meter to read rms & peak watts?

P.S. I tried it on my 505 and my 421A. The 421A would slightly move forward and then swing backwards(mean AMC)

Radio Shack still makes their swr/power meter or at least has them for sale in my neck if the woods
http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Accessory Reviews/HP202S Meter/Workman HP202S SWR Meter.htm
Humpf?????

Last edited:
The Royce is sure one stingy meter. I'm guessing that it's not a peak reading meter. I calibrated it to my CRE-8900. One low power position with the 8900's rf power set to 1 watt it swings to 2 watts on modulation. On high power position with the 8900 set to 10 watts it swings to 12 watts. At least it shows a proper dead key power reading. Stingy,stingy,stingy.
Anyone know how to make this meter to read rms & peak watts?

P.S. I tried it on my 505 and my 421A. The 421A would slightly move forward and then swing backwards(mean AMC)

Radio Shack still makes their swr/power meter or at least has them for sale in my neck if the woods
Workman HP202S SWR / Watt Meter Review
Humpf?????

A good average reading meter will shrink up your ego and maybe other things too.
I had a 3 window Realistic average reading wattmeter that had 5/50/500 scales and it was extremely accurate.

I was thinking of how to make this Royce meter show PEP and it's extremely stingy average reading.

I bidded on the cheaper MFJ-346. The Ebay seller in his email reply said if used to be his Father's and hasn't been used since 2010.

I'm wanting to get one to use with my MFJ-207,especially to tune base antennas.

Last edited:
Just bought a very nice looking used MFJ-886 frequency scanner off Ebay for $74 +free shipping. The original asking price was $99. It comes with a dc adapter in the original box. The Ebay is fast. Within five minutes of my verified pay pal purchase a electronic shipping label was created. That's good because I was wanting to zero beat my MFJ-207 swr analyzer off of it outdoors instead of using my radio and I had been wanting the 886 but I think MFJ discontinued it. I think MFJ used to sell them for $129. Comes with the detachable antenna. Cool! :tongue:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-886.pdf

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Just bought a very nice looking used MFJ-886 frequency scanner off Ebay for $74 +free shipping. The original asking price was $99. It comes with a dc adapter in the original box. The Ebay is fast. Within five minutes of my verified pay pal purchase a electronic shipping label was created.

Means nothing. That is just electronically done. The real shipping still has to be handled. I have had the same thing done only to find out by tracking the shipment that it was not even delivered to the post office for over a week later.

That's good because I was wanting to zero beat my MFJ-207 swr analyzer off of it outdoors instead of using my radio and I had been wanting the 886 but I think MFJ discontinued it. I think MFJ used to sell them for $129. Comes with the detachable antenna. Cool! :tongue:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-886.pdf

Please explain the bold text quoted above. It appears you do not understand what zero beat means.

Means nothing. That is just electronically done. The real shipping still has to be handled. I have had the same thing done only to find out by tracking the shipment that it was not even delivered to the post office for over a week later.

Please explain the bold text quoted above. It appears you do not understand what zero beat means.
Electronically done means that he's started the shipping process. The sooner I get it the sooner I get to try it out on my A99/FS99 Firestick install. That's the first base antenna I've owned and put into operation since Hurricane Hugo on 89'
It's in the MFJ-207 "downloads" instructions PDF
It's in the how to zero-beat the MFJ-207 against your receiver title on the PDF.
That's MFJ's descriptive terminology for it.
And yes,I have zero-beat my MFJ-207 against my DTB tuned Galaxy DX-959 but I want the MFJ-886 for field duty.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-207.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah....OK.......I see what you want to do. You do not zero beat a signal to a frequency counter like you said you wanted to do. That is why I posted what I did above. It takes two signals to zero beat. In the case of using a receiver the second signal is the carrier injection by the BFO which is really not needed as a simple carrier in AM mode is close enough given the stability of those antenna analyzers. You are looking simply to use the freq. counter as a more accurate way of determining the freq. of your analyzer however it is not zero beating.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.