• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Echo Link

Basically, yes Joe. BUT with echolink you can connect to repeators, talk to mobile operators...ETC. Hence the need for proof of liscense

"Echo Link is just another chat software!!!!"
Yep, you can use it that way if you wish. Are PSK31, AMTOR, PACTOR, RTTY, HF Packet, and all other non-voice modes chat software? How about CW?

"Its ok but it sure aint radio."

If I am mobile in Minnesota and key an Echolink enabled station in Minnesota which in turn keys an Echolink enabled station in Nevada (Or Sydney Australia for that matter.) and I talk to a mobile there, how is that not "radio"? Is it because it travelled for some distance in a wire? If that is the criteria for deciding whether it is "radio" or not, could you tell me what the limit for the wire length is before I am no longer using a "radio"?

I think you guys have been hanging out on Eham too much. Enjoy all the facets of Amateur radio and leave the elitism to someone else.

I think EchoLink is a great program. I use it quite often to connect to people back home. I also used it alot when I didn't have a radio.I can also use it to talk to my wife if I'm out and about in the mobile. Just yesterday I talked to Brian HL9UL in S. Korea HL9UL( he was using EchoLink) He is a service member in the U.S. Army stationed there. His US call sign is K4UL and he was linked up to the .075 repeater trying tot get some of his friends here. I also talked to aTrevor( who was using EchoLink) in King's Lynn, UK and I was on a 5w portable. That was my first long distance contact on my radio using 2 meter.
So I guess in the purist way of thinking it is not "Radio" But in my opinion it is close enough.It is another way for HAM operators to communicate. As it was stated earlier in mopar2ya's post. I can still talk to mobile radios. I even think there may be a way to connect your radio to the computer and use your radio through EchoLink to hit repeaters all over the world.Try that with just your radio

Echolink is awesome! Just think of it this way, Your computer is the transciever and you are using someone else's antenna at the location of your choosing. There are repeaters worldwide that you can access at the drop of a hat. Imagine accessing an antenna in Austraila and catching skip via their repeater from Belgium. There are many aspects of echolink that can be as good or better that traditional communications. You won't regret it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.