• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Echo?

yama junk owna

Apr 5, 2005
Not trying to be smart but why does anyone want echo? Most of the time those that use it can't be understood, it just adds to the noise when the band is crowded. But I really would like for someone to explain it to me, in a nice way guys, don't cuss me out cause I really am trying to understand what it is all about!!! :LOL: :D

I run my 95T with just a touch of echo on AM. It adds a little punch to the audio and makes it LOUD. I prefer listning to a touch of echo but I agree too much sounds horrible

I will agree with FBBuck ! .....once upon a time ago I felt like you Y-J-O ......Until I started hearing echo in certain others radios and microphones were it sounded 10-8 !! ....I personally do not run power mic's anymore ,because the radios I've been using have been tuned where a power mic is basically not needed (to much) ....I use Non-Powered NC mic's (RK-56/Astatic 636) ......There are many decent echo type power mic's on the market as well as echo boards , I personally use a TRB-1 echo board .... TRB-1......not for the fact that this board can and will make all kinds of unnessasary noises .....it's a good board !! set just right with the right touch of echo and reverb it will even turn a run of the mill stock mic in to what would sound like a power mic !! the same goes for my N/C mic's !! ....I prefer those mic's because I don't like back ground noise....really can give that base station sound in a motor car. (-: Guys like to have fun and adjatate on there radios ....that's been par for the course for decades .....I personally don't talk to people I can't understand all the same (-: . Now you want to talk about Rodger Beeps !!!!! I've never liked those things to this day !!! espeically the ones that go off about 5 or 6 times after every transmittions !! I can see a good purpose for RB's when skip might be involved ...but to sound like Neil Armstrong as landed on the mood I can live without !!! .....but I have noticed one thing about RB's over the years .....they usually go fairly well with the person that is using them .....it's an attitude thing !! ....(-:

any amount of echo/reverb or what ever you want to call it reduces readability every single time but some people like it, i used to love it, back in the late 70's i was the first person for miles around with a propper echo and stage mic instead of the ones built into pegasus 3 radios or the homebrew springline reverbs we made from tellephone earpieces and pen springs, it was an old watkins copycat open tape machine and sounded sweet, then in the early 80's it had caught on and we were using revox and sony 3 head reel to reel tape recorders 10 times the size of the radio just to have a good sounding echo, i even slowed the motor speed on a denon 3 head cassette deck to make an echo, next thing to come along was the bucket brigade echos i used to slow them down to a semi real echo and people called it superdelay, in reality bbd was crap but it worked ok i guess, only recently with the magnum digital echos have the manufacturers got anywhere close to the sound quality of the old revox reel to reel as an echo and imho they still dont sound even close, as for the why did we do it, i would say because back then hearing a real echo was something out of the ordinary and very few cbers here had any idea how to make a real echo and have the voice of god sound but time marches on and digital echo's are 10 a penny nowadays and it drives me nuts having to listen to people with that shitty talkback going on in the background, i ask them if they would like a full length mirror too so they can look at themselfs while they listen to the constant slight feedback that only i seem to be able to hear, I HATE TALKBACK BIGTIME!!!.

yama junk owna said:
Not trying to be smart but why does anyone want echo? Most of the time those that use it can't be understood, it just adds to the noise when the band is crowded. But I really would like for someone to explain it to me, in a nice way guys, don't cuss me out cause I really am trying to understand what it is all about!!! :LOL: :D

70's propaganda, something new to sell to bring in $$$. Some less known magazines actually promoted it saying that it would improve your range (I think it was ARGOSY). I've heard 2 stations on AM that sounded good with an echo since echo was promoted. Echo on SSB it terrible. There is a local fellow who runs SSB on Ch.39 LSB and has his echo "more" than "less". He also is a fast talker, so his last words collide with his next word and he is almost impossible to understand. He doesn't take gentle hints about it either, so I just move on to another channel when he's on-the-air.

-TSG

Likewise, I run just a touch of echo, set slow giving the voice more depth ( kinda like a concert hall sound ). I also will not talk to someone I can't understand, echo set so high that the words overlap or run together. If they don't realize it I'll help them set it....if they don't care, neither do I.....cause they don't exist untill they fix it. I agree on the rodger beep thing, one little beep is not to bad.....but the ones that go on for what seems to be around five seconds hits a nerve after awhile.

Just a touch of echo done correctly can really give a nice "Big Radio" sound! At least I think so. Roger Beep...........if your gonna use it, you should be required to have a good loud talkback on the roger beeping radio so you can suffer with the rest!

JD :beer :beer

I DON'T KNOW ON THE ECHO THING I'V NEVER RAN ONE BUT I DO RUN A RADIO IN THE TRUCK WITH A BEEP THAT I CAN'T EVEN SHUT OFF AND JD IT DOSE BEEP AT ME TOO :( I REALY LIKE THE RADIO BUT THE BEEP IS ENUFF TO DRIVE YA NUT'S, HAD IT TO A LOCAL TECH AND NO DICE ON A SWITCH FOR IT :( BUT ONE OF THESE DAYS LOL

CHUCK

Please, turn your CB radio off and turn on the AM Broadcast radio in your house or car, tune in "Rush Limbaugh", he's BROADCASTING to 20 plus million people an hour, does he use ECHO or REVERB?

Does he have to have a "Roger-Beep" to end his transmission?

Turn your radio away from Channel 19 and listen to Channel 6 when skip is rolling, do you hear any reverb and echo?

Get yourself an E.F. Hutton Radio, when you speak, people listen! Echo sucks and reverb blows!

Please, turn your CB radio off and turn on the AM Broadcast radio in your house or car, tune in "Rush Limbaugh", he's BROADCASTING to 20 plus million people an hour, does he use ECHO or REVERB?
I guess you never listened to AM radio in the 60's and 70's Paws. Most of the big "music radio" stations used reverb over the air! Anyone here in the Northeast remember " 77 Musicradio WABC" in New York City! Correct me if I'm wrong! Made it sound big on a 9 transistor radio!

JD :beer

MAINE680 said:
...............I have an echo, but I don't use it unless someone starts screaming davemade over and over again then I use mine to stir the pot.........

My point exactly, for the most part, Echo and Reverb (and Roger-beeps) do nothing to enhance the broadcast but, serves usually as attention attracting devices at best and at worst, a nuisance hetrodyne.

Yes, I remember Echo and Reverb in teen programmed music and entertainment but, that was 30 years ago.

I hate trying to talk to someone whose radio transmissions sound like he's playing an Electrict Guitar with his tongue.

echo

A little echo is ok too much sucks. If you set it right it just fattens up the vocal a bit. It doesnt make you sound louder or get you out further. Most serious operators leave it off. I do, but that's just so i have maximum intelligbility in DX. Local i'll use a hint of echo, sometimes. Just a faint whisper. Never on sideband.

different strokes for different folks , This is not Burger King fella's !!! and as much as you would like to have it your way ....it's just not going to happen )-: ....oh yeah sure !! you can live amungst folks that see and do things alike but that's really only a "click" of folks. Echo works just fine for what it is and most folks that like to talk will have it set so they can do just that .....to much won't get them much if that were to be the case. You can make all the noise you want to in a CB world if that's what one chooses to do ? , noise toys / recorder toys / voice changers / echo boards / echo mic's / last time I looked there were still rules and reg's of the cb radio ....but has that changed a damned thing over the last 40 years or so ? I think not !! more power / more toys / more this and more that !!(they sure put money in the "techs
' pockets all the same) I say enjoy whatever it is that one has rather then to bitch ,moan and groan about what one doesn't like or how somebody else should or shouldn't run there radios ......those goodies have been around for a very long time now and I really don't think they are going anywhere to quick !! so find that "click" of folks that will suit your being and stay the hell away from those that you personally don't feel worthy of your hobby !! because like you's ........they ain't go'in nowhere to soon (-: Enjoy !! BEEP !!!

Well I have a couple of D104's but the mic I use the most is my Heil Goldline it is non-amplified. My Kenwoods do not require amplification and these mics Kick Butt super clear!. As far as echo or rb I have both on my 959 but they tend to bug me so I dont use them.

Oh well my two cents~

Jerry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.