• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EF Johnson CB Radios

I don't remember my first 40 channel rig being hard to read the analog dial. But I was 17 years old at the time. Just completed a restoration on one this week and struggled to see the dial.

Getting OLD is fun. But the alternative SUCKS!

David

Finally managed to find a clean looking Johnson Messenger 323a from E-bay, said estate sale so I took the chance. 36.00 total after shipping. Got the word today from local shop, Cobra CB Shop Morgantown WV. Gary’s been in busy since 1976. It is off frequency all channels and the parts not available to repair. I am assuming it’s the crystals. I was told the crystals Johnson used go bad and of course are not made anymore. 47 years old radio. Guess I will file it under the needs repair section of garage. Now if I can only find a 1973 Chevy Nova to mount it under the dash after it get repaired some day.

Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
Employees Buy Bomar Crystal
Bomar Crystal announces that its employees buy Bomar Crystal from its founder Robert Citron. The new company, BOMAR EXO, LLC / Bomar Crystal, is headed up by long time (27 years) employee Ermina Lirio as the General Manager and David Miskov continuing his role as its Chief Technology Officer.

USA based and Owned!!!!

How far off frequency? If they’re not too far off, you can add some capacitance or inductance in series to tweak them into tolerance. If they’re all off by about the same amount, instead of trying to tweak each crystal, find the common point that controls all of them. Again, add some capacitance or inductance (depending if you want to move up or down in frequency) in series at that juncture. Depending on the radio, sometimes simply readjusting the oscillator will bring it within tolerance. Crystal tweaking is usually a matter of experimental trial and error. I have a selection of PF range variable caps and various small inductors on hand just for that purpose. Adding these things may cause frequency instability, but if you’re not moving them too far, this is a common solution.

Thanks all. I pick it up the Messenger 323a tomorrow. The local tech is a wonderful guy. It’s an hour to Morgantown and 2 1/2 to Bob’s CB from my house. The business is family run, as in his wife works the counter. Over the years he’s gotten rid of the stockpile of parts radios. I will ask how far off it’s running. The old Johnson might have a lotta life left. On a funny note. I ran a Dynascan Cobra 21 for about a year off frequency before got really noisy one day. It had always gotten good reports on channel 19 and it was my daily user for about a year. I took it to Bob’s CB. The conclusion was its off frequency, needs a new crystal. Bob didn’t have available. I am very lucky to have two quality CB tech within a few hours of home.

Got the Messenger 323a back. I must have found one that was rode hard and put away wet. All he told me was she's way off, not good to invest any more time or money, he suspects all the crystals are bad. So just going put a 40 channel Johnson with a PLL chip on the to pick up some day list. Thx all.

My first was a 123a,noisy very noisy.did all the ground straps,spark plug wires,and noise filters to no avail.
Was so happy when it got swapped for a midland 40 channel with nb and anl. Cant remember the model ,it was stolen year after i bought it

Ok, I finally had some time to play with my big Johnson tonight, Messenger 323a. No empirical tests. I was told the old boys off frequency. I fired it up. I can talk on 14 without crossing to 13 or 15. That's just me talking on one antenna,and l listening to a receiving CB on another antenna at my residence. I concluded if its off frequency, it may just sound like all the other gentlemen on Channel 6. I could not resist trying- "321, 321 in the Keystone, laying down with my big Johnson. Putting out there mud duck style, getting a some mud on my Johnson, waving a hand down South." and, wouldn't you know I got a comeback. The comeback was only from Pittsburgh. Its 35 mile by Interstate to the University of Pittsburgh campus, where I work. SO 35 miles local, off frequency from a a base antenna. That's my Saturday night.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.