• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Emergency traffic

Kristopher burt

Oct 27, 2020
Antioch, Illinois
I have always been skeptical that a real emergency could be aided with the use of amateur radio or even cb radio. Today I heard on the cb radio an actual call for help..I think. On the cb radio channel 15 at approximately 1320 I heard a guy out in Arizona calling for help. He was asking for the police or the fire department for help. He stated he had a urinary infection and needed help. He gave his address and was persistent on making sure someone was calling and said thank you to the person helping him with getting help. If that was a real situation I'm glad he had help through the cb radio. But of course it could have been faked. But it was cool to hear his call for help was apparently being answered by a fellow CBer. Anyone else hear of people actually needing help and used the radio to contact the authorities?

More than once.
Back in the early 80's late one night I was listening to the radio and heard a guy on channel 9 asking if anyone could hear him.
I answered.
He, his wife and two children were going to Edison Camp and got caught in a storm.
He had turned of hwy198 up by Shaver Lake and was lost and stuck in deep snow.
As it was Fresno county I contacted Fresno county Sheriffs.
I maintained contact with him untill Search and Rescue hooked up with them on the CB.
The next day FSO called me back and said they all got out safely by snowmobile.
Fast forward.
Driving home from work one afternoon, guy calling on ch 17 saying he needed help.
I stopped answered and he was up on Chowchilla Mountain road wheeling alone, and busted the rear driveshaft, guy spent the night sleeping in his truck.
He gave me a phone number, I made the call to his family they went up to get him.
It happens.
Jeff

Many years ago, before everyone had a cell phone, we were returning back home to Nova Scotia from vacation in New England. We were near Sussex New Brunswick at the time in a torrential rainstorm. As we rounded a loooong curve we met a car flashing it’s headlights and through the rain we could see one car sideways in the road hanging over the ditch and another on the opposite side of the road on it’s roof. The first car was a large station wagon with the rear axle assembly ripped out from under it and the driver's side punched. One car had hydroplaned and crossed the highway hitting the other and an 18-wheeler following one of them plowed thru the wreckage. The truck driver was trying to get help on the CB but skip was too noisy. Several cars had left to find the nearest phone. We stopped. My wife just retired a year ago from 34 years as a registered nurse, so we were legally obligated to stop anyway. I placed a call via my newly purchased 2m HT via the local repeater and summoned fire/rescue, police and medical. It was a REALLY bad wreck. The single occupant of the station wagon was clearly in shock. He had a compound fracture of the left elbow, signs of a fractured left hip or pelvis, a huge black/purple mass indicative of a ruptured spleen and was bleeding from the ears. At that point, he was the lucky one. The other vehicle that was upside-down had the roof crushed down and all we could tell was that there appeared to be three occupants, all of whom were deceased or would soon be as we could not gain access to them. I relayed info to the base operator that was online with 911 and when medical arrived it included a nurse and trauma surgeon as well as paramedics because of the urgency of the situation. That was MANY years ago yet it still seems like yesterday.

On another note, when my boys were quite young,,,,,,they are 24 and 25 now....I was in the shack listening to the Hurricane Watch net during a hurricane. I told them about hams helping out during disasters and within a couple minutes we heard a call from the Cayman Island requesting someone contact Cayman Islands Rescue authorities. He was in his attic with wife and kids with six feet of water in the house. he was on a Yaesu FT-857 compact all band radio with a car battery and a wire for an antenna. Someone in Georgia took the call and contacted Miami Coast Guard who in turn contacted their counterpart in the Cayman Islands.

That is about all I have to offer.

On edit:: Just remembered shortly after getting our first CB. I took a call from someone on the highway that I could see from home. I saw a flashing amber light....it was on the roof of his Jeep. A car with two women and two kids plowed into the rear of a stopped 18-wheeler. It was wet and raining with a bit of freezing rain at the time. She never touched the brakes. The trailer bumper was sitting between the front and rear seats. The kids were OK. that's all.

Back in probably 1975-76 we were at my aunts cabin in Central Camp (Jeff, you probably know where this is), there was no phone system and a resident had a stroke. They were able to get help via a neighbors cb radio. Thinking back, I know that this area was heavily wooded and at least 10-15 miles from any paved road, but this is simply what I recall. I was 8-9 yrs old.

Todd

Late 70"s as a young teenager living in Mobile, AL, I heard a desperate call on CB Ch. 13 about 1:00 am asking for the Coast Guards help concerning a sinking shrimp boat at the mouth of a Fowl River (or Fish River-can't remember which now) and Mobile Bay. I called the Coast Guard via telephone and relayed the information complete with the boats name, my name and the telephone number I was calling from. The Coast Guard called back about 4:00 am. My Father answered the phone with the Coast Guard asking for me. I was asleep at that time and awakened by my less than thrilled Father. It all turned out well after the Coast Guard explained to my Father the situation. The Coast Guard was able to rescue the crew from the shrimp boat.

Emergency calls do happen. That was my one and only in 50 years.

David

Back in probably 1975-76 we were at my aunts cabin in Central Camp (Jeff, you probably know where this is), there was no phone system and a resident had a stroke. They were able to get help via a neighbors cb radio. Thinking back, I know that this area was heavily wooded and at least 10-15 miles from any paved road, but this is simply what I recall. I was 8-9 yrs old.

Todd
Yep I know central camp, beautiful country.
Growing up we spent plenty of time in the western sierra, lots of memories up there.
Back to Emergency Traffic.
Even today there are plenty of places in the Sierra that do not have cell coverage.
Recently there was a tragic accident involving a family that went hiking on one of the trails up here last summer.
They were experienced hikers, but underestimated the heat on the trail that day it was august, middle of summer.
The whole family succumbed to hypothermia and when the cell phone records were investigated it was found they had made multiple attempts to call and text for help that were never received because there is no service there.
Can't always count on cell service everywhere.

Jeff

Awesome work guys, good to see these stories.

REACT was a loosely bound volunteer organization for the very purpose of offering assistance in cases of emergency.

CB Radios are often known as Poor-Mans Cell phone - maybe true but many see these little boxes as a means to keep in touch and even make new friends.

It's not too late to keep that kind of torch lit - but in reality - any channel can be used for emergency - and in times back then, the effort of coordination amongst all the parties involved was amazing.

Good to see that it still is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.