• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Emperor 5010 (Nomad)

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
Chris, what do you think, I have a 5010 / Lincoln that puts out too many watts (even adjusted internally) and doesn't have "CB Dynamics". Don't get me wrong, the radio TALKS but it has too many watts for my "Driver".

So, I was thinking about lifting the base on the 2166 driver from the board and inserting a 10 ohm resistor between the base and the circuit board; this will knock the output down (?).

Also, on the circuit board end of the newly added 10 ohm resistor, I was going to add 330 ohms to ground; this will give the radio "swing".

I've been looking at the H. W. Sams for the old circuits in the Cobra radios for ideas, what do you think?

Hi Paws,
Listen to Roger, he knows what's in that radio.

The examples you mention are all quite different in their transmitter layout from that radio. Solutions that work in those models will create a headache in this one. Sams NEVER published info on a radio with this type AM modulator/carrier control setup.

One of the typical gripes about that design is that turning down the carrier turns down the swing, with it.

There are in fact two trimpots that affect the AM carrier level. One of them is a negative feedback voltage from the transmitter's output. This is the one marked, uh, wait a minute. Is this radio a Uniden 2510, or an Emperor 5010? You said "5010" and you said "Lincoln", the name used on the latest Uniden version. I'll use the HR-2510 trimpot callouts for now. If it's an Emperor, those callout numbers are different, pretty sure. Gotta check what the same two are called on a Lincoln.

There is a 'second' carrier-control trimpot that sets the range of the one towards the rear, marked VR106 in a Uniden radio. If VR106 won't turn down far enough, or is "touchy" because it's all the way at one end, it suggests that VR107 is turned too high. VR107 sets the end-to-end adjustment range of VR106. If someone cranked VR107 for max swing, this may be preventing you from turning VR106 low enough.

This is the strangest carrier-control circuit ever used in a radio 'meant' for CB use, that I remember. (Except maybe the A.R.F. 2001?) The President/Superstar Jackson uses the same circuit. It's a classic negative-feedback servo-control circuit. VR107 sets the "reference" input, and VR106 the negative-feedback side.

Listen to Roger. He knows this radio better than me, best I can tell. I have had headaches with unstable final amplifiers in that kind of radio over the years. Mostly I recommend a more conventional-design type radio for driving an amplifier. There's just no substitute for real, live high-level AM modulation. That particular setup is just too sensitive to small changes in the SWR the radio is feeding into. As a barefoot radio, it will perform well, if it's right. The unpredictable input SWR of many amplifiers will give this kind of radio unpredictable headaches. Not always, just too often.

(EDIT).....
Soon as I posted this, I looked at the subject. Emperor... Duh.
VR104 is the AM carrier set. VR111 sets the range of VR104.

nomadradio said:
Hi Paws,
Listen to Roger, he knows what's in that radio.

The examples you mention are all quite different in their transmitter layout from that radio. Solutions that work in those models will create a headache in this one. Sams NEVER published info on a radio with this type AM modulator/carrier control setup.

One of the typical gripes about that design is that turning down the carrier turns down the swing, with it.

Hello guys, I've been gone for a while to this far-away place called eBay

Yup, that's what I mean when I say "no CB Dynamics". Sorry about the confusion about the radio, it is a Emperor; Hello Roger, long-time-no-speak-to about this radio.

It's a great radio for FM or SSB and even AM on the Ham bands, just not AM CB! Yes, my Cobra 148 works better for AM but it doesn't have the coverage.

Justin, you talked about making them soung good, I have made the change from "Emitter-Follower" output on that pre-driver to "Collector-out", I also took the modulated (AM) voltage and ran it into the pre-driver.

I even went as far as re-building the push-pull modulator out of a 23 channel Cobra 19 (modulation transformer and all) and placing the unit in a project box, I connected it via relay to the final and driver of the Emperor (I had to switch it off for SSB). I never looked at it on the scope but there was not enough improvement to brag about so I took the modulation system back to stock.

There has gotta be some decent way to make these radios "swing". It's not enought alone for the Sweet-Sixteen but too much for a 2 transistor driver.

I'm bouncing these ideas off you guys; Chris I would think adding the 10 ohms in series with the base wouldn't make it unstable, adding the 330 ohms to ground would certainly change the bias/idle current reading (maybe put it on a switch so it doesn't screw up the SSB signal).

Maybe I'll get back to radio in a day or so and get inside that radio again, right now I'm gonna sell a couple of laptops.

Mel

73's

This is copy and paste type stuff right here !! Hell !! I might even learn something yet ? .....now this is what I would call ......."THE TECH BENCH" Thanks

emperor ts-5010

any one have one of these radios they want to get rid of working or not i need parts for mine thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.