• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Emporer ts 5010 audio mod

The radio uses the same low level IF modulation scheme as the old Jackson export with the same MRF-477 final. Not much hope of making it a good AM performer without replacing the modulator stage.

Oh Puke.. This is my cousins rig and he loves it.. I hate the emp 5010 for that reason you stated.. Junk radio on AM.. However, i found a mod for the Jackson and got it improve a bit on AM...

They are a great radio, just never intended to be a hot rod heavy swinger on AM. Combine a proper tune and alignment with a decent desk mic and things should sound pretty good. Add an amplifier and it will get the job done.

If your cousin is a big AM talker then that's not a good radio choice. Any of the Stryker, Galaxy, Magnum, or Connex radio's with echo would be choices for loud AM talkers.

They are a great radio, just never intended to be a hot rod heavy swinger on AM. Combine a proper tune and alignment with a decent desk mic and things should sound pretty good. Add an amplifier and it will get the job done.

If your cousin is a big AM talker then that's not a good radio choice. Any of the Stryker, Galaxy, Magnum, or Connex radio's with echo would be choices for loud AM talkers.

We just talked a few minutes ago on AM and his radio sounds very stocky, tight, and has very low audio even with my silver eagle i let him borrow however, his brothers is a screamer on AM.. I think his needs a tune up. Maybe some caps are bad as well. My cousin hasn't used his gear in over 10 years and most of it all has set in a box stored away...

would align the radio 1st and make sure the dead key is not to high. these radios if you try to get too many watts out of them the audio goes down very low. see how it does after the align. some of the jackson mods will work on this radio also if you did one on your jackson to the final area. not sure what you did..
also post what the dead key and swing is on the 5010 on am and what it does on SSB.

I was just looking at the service manual for this radio and just was thinking that since one person has one that talks good and the other does not. set the low mod one up just like the good one. a plus here since you have one to compare it too.

My cousin was trying to re-tune it the other night and smoked the final, lol. I have a spare to give him though. I think hes looking for another radio to just use on AM and save the 5010 to use on ssb...

I have done the MRF 477 swap to the 497 with changes to the board.
My opinion, not worth the trouble.
Swap to the 455/1466 is worth it " if " you can not run a outboard amp.
In all cases a outboard amp is better.
That's just me.

Jeff

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.