• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End Fed 1/2 wave antenna

It's too bad you don't have any proof. Why not give us some more details regarding you A99 spiderplane...if you feel like sharing something interesting.

thumbsup.gif

Uh, do I need to register on the secondwivescafe forum to see these smilies or have they caught on and blocked them before I got here
confused-smiley-17449.gif

No, I believe he wanted to see your A99 radial system. I presume it's similar in design to m0ogy's "Boomer kit" in his video of adding a GP kit to his ABS1600?

video

NB, where do you get the idea that Nav2012's antenna looks like M0ogy's in the video? Will I get an answer.

Check out my next few post with Nav regarding his link on the Imax.

Uh, do I need to register on the secondwivescafe forum to see these smilies or have they caught on and blocked them before I got here
confused-smiley-17449.gif
I'm not registered, and I see them even now.
On one of my PCs I see, and on my IPhone, however, like you, on the other PC I do not see them. Sorry. The posts make no sense without them.

Last edited:
Nav, I see you name on the link below.

Doc, you seem to have a downer on GP kits for Antrons and Imax's. Don't you understand that using your mast or your coax as a counterpoise for any antenna is just simply taking a stab in the dark?

Think of all the possible arrangements you could have with different masts, coax and so forth which could affect the performance of any antenna. Wouldn't it be great if we had an industry standard way of mounting antenna's so that they could all be compared with at least comparable parameters?

What is the point is suggesting that one antenna is better than another if mounting poles and coax location is too much part of the equation?
I've just mounted a custom GP kit on my Antron 99. The custom kit is a design that i've used before that myself and Bob-85 were tinkering with a couple of year ago - the imfamous spiderplane.

Firsty, to make sure we get all the currents we need flowing in the right places, I isolated the antenna from the mast. Not by taping the mast and mounting the antenna on the tape because this creates capacitance between the mast and the antenna. Isolated it by driving a piece of strong ash into the end of the mounting pole and mounting the antenna directly onto that. The antenna is choked with five turns of my RG213 on a four inch former, directly below the feed point. The GP kit bolts directly onto the base of the Antron about an inch below the tuning rings and consists of a 3 sided clamping system similar to the basket clamp on a Sigma 4.

There are three Sirio 827 radials attached to this but with a twist, the electrical length is increased to full quarter wave by attaching wire to the end of each radial which is aimed in free space towards the next radial tip and secured to it using strong nylon thread. The general shape of this kit if I were using four radials instead of three would resemble a swastika if you get what I mean. So its general sort of shape would resemble a three leg swastika with each leg secured to the next leg with nylon wire.

I will post pics up later.

When I first tried this method about two years ago on an half wave GP it worked tremendous and i had TX signal increases ranging from S2 to S4 over the standard GP. RX went up hell of a lot and I was hearing stations i'd never have dreamed of with the standard GP.

The Antron is a slightly different animal and seems to work better than a standard GP out of the box but it didn't stop me from trying to improve it.
An increase of one S point at 25 miles was my first result and an immediate increase in RX was apparant.

I worked 333 Tennessee and New Jersey yesterday from Central England using 5 watts when the skip was not very good.

Don't let anyone try to convince you that GP kits are not worth while, just make sure you Isolate the mast properly, choke it and get those currents flowing where we need them.

Nav 707 waving an hand.

Take particular note of the part that I made in bold print.

That was on a cheap GP and those were the results. Antron is better built and the performance increases are not as apparant apart from the lack of static.
You seem to spend a lot of your time lately Marconi trying to imply people are liars. Do as you will, you are now on my ignore list.

That was on a cheap GP and those were the results. Antron is better built and the performance increases are not as apparant apart from the lack of static.
You seem to spend a lot of your time lately Marconi trying to imply people are liars. Do as you will, you are now on my ignore list.

Yep Nav2012, maybe that is what you should do, cause if you make a mistake I might give you my opinion, but if you lie...like this post and my previous post shows, then I will try and expose your lies, then and now.

When I first met Nav2012 in the previous thread that I posted above, he was describing his spider plane idea and the images did not agree with his description. I called his hand on the discrepancy and he ran away, like he is doing again right here. You can read it all, it is right there in these two links.

<gotproof> if you check out my previous post above on this matter. Anybody that cares can see the problem with some of what Nav2012 might tell us.

Now tell us Nav, did you make the post below? If so, then take note of the part I made bold. It conflicts again with what you posted earlier, and you gave us the link that proves it. I would have never known the truth of your deception without your posting the link back to when we first met.

There you go again Marconi, I never said My A99 had a 2-4 S point advantage over any other Antenna, I said I have no static which allows me to hear better.

The subtle differences between being deaf because of static and not being deaf make differences.

There is no point you modelling my A99 in your software Marconi because your software is only as good as the idiot that wrote it. I'M TELLING YOU THE FUCKING TRUTH. I'm not trying the BS people or claim to have found some sort of miracle I'm telling you how it is and if you don't believe it book a flight over to the UK and come witness it, my A99 because of Bob-85 is a better machine.

I've got a flat dead needle most of the time where static is concerned, the antenna certainly isn't deaf, now if you will care to listen which I did, Bob can tell you why, but if you wanna continue to argue the toss till you are blue in the face then be my guest.

Now how does this look, you're telling us all right now that you did not claim to see and 2-4 Sunits of difference vs. your other antenna?

Was this about like you did before in your Imax link noted in my previous post, where I confronted you on the fact that the pictures you provided, in that post, did not look like the antenna you were describing?

You finally mumbled something about the pictures did not show exactly how it was, and then you disappeared. That is why I didn't remember you when you popped up the other day, and now you are doing it again. Lets see now, if Bob can excuse you and explain it all now that you stepped in it, big time.

Equivocating on our words has a way of catching us up with us in our misdeeds, no matter the lack of importance.

I've said my piece, and I'm putting you on my ignore list too.

Ur, um, did anyone notice I have been tinkering with a homebrew end fed 1/2 wave antenna, and that I put up a 1/2 wave dipole in its place to see if I might benefit from horizontal polarity over the vertical polarity while I add a set of GPs to the vertical . . ?

I do wish you two fellows would quit getting so personal with all this, take off the silly blocks of each other, and come out and play. We need enough to make a team here and the other kids won't let us play ball until we do.

This ISN'T about who said what, it's about what is or isn't workable, and under what circumstances you were/are able to get it to do so.

Newbies will need to realize that there are significant variables in nature that will contribute to the success of their efforts and providing alternative experiences/methods and results only helps to flesh out their knowledge pool.
If the thread can not continue with such an amicable spiritedness I will with great reluctance request a lock down on it.
I, personally do not mind differences of opinions, and if the subject matter of a thread I started leads to it, I am pleased for the interest and discussion it has generated, but degenerating to the point of calling each other disparaging names is never my goal, and in the interest of genuine discussion I'd truly appreciate everyone standing by a more honorable method of discussion.
Hopefully, it isn't too late for this thread, and does not persist in any others I start.

Homer

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Ur, um, did anyone notice I have been tinkering with a homebrew end fed 1/2 wave antenna, and that I put up a 1/2 wave dipole in its place to see if I might benefit from horizontal polarity over the vertical polarity while I add a set of GPs to the vertical . . ?

Yep Homer, I did Shanghai your thread, and for my part I'm sorry. We could have had a decent conversation even though we disagree, but it just wasn't intended to go that way. So, now we have to ask, who was being deceitful in the discussions that went forward? That was in your thread too.

If I was wrong about what Nav2012, told us, then I will apologize as I should, but I won't just run away.

On my defense for my trespass, I may have been only one of a few that took any interest in your project, and talked to you about it. We didn't get into trouble until you produced your results that showed exactly what I've been saying for a long time, and that happened to conflict, some how, with our buds ideas over in Europe.

How are you going to balance that now? Sometimes we just have to take a position, and stop trying to ride the fence. Homer, you may not be as good of peace maker as you think.

I could just shut up, and sometimes I have the mind to do just that, but then I read something of interest to me, and I get right into it again. I'm not happy just to have someone give me praised and smiley faces that make me feel good. I like a good discussion of different ideas.

So, we'll see if you and the others can put up with me until I leave this Earth.
At my age, I probably don't have long, and then you'll all be happy, that I'm no longer looking over your shoulder.

Edit: When I posted my remarks Homer I noticed that you edited your remarks. If that is what you want to do, then have at it.

I had some spelling errors, and wanted to add some thought to the post.

I didn't feel the thread was shanghaied, I felt that the tendency to personalized differences was beyond the scope of the discussion. I have no problem with a very strong disagreement, nor with calling out apparent discrepancies in remarks by participants. A "IF this is what you said here, then what did you mean here" is perfectly acceptable. It provides clarity, and resolves seeming discrepancies. Those very things are the basis of debate, and discussion.

You know that I like and respect you, Marconi, so do not step beyond the purpose of my request to work through our differences without getting too personal by suggesting you and I have a problem that would make me happy if you died.
I expect your input, I am glad you have the tenacity to pursue the subject matter beyond small talk. Continuing to do so until you no longer can will provide the basis for provocative thought on these subjects for a long time to come.

I am your friend, and you'll have a hard time changing that.

When all is said and done, likely my thoughts as expressed here are as worthless as most other things representing one person's point of view. . .

Now, maybe later this afternoon I can try a GP on the EFHW and see what happens. I despise the chores that delay my playing with the antennas as much as I'd like.

You know that I like and respect you, Marconi, so do not step beyond the purpose of my request to work through our differences without getting too personal by suggesting you and I have a problem that would make me happy if you died.

...never heard it put quite like that :LOL:

I had some spelling errors, and wanted to add some thought to the post.

I didn't feel the thread was shanghaied, I felt that the tendency to personalized differences was beyond the scope of the discussion. I have no problem with a very strong disagreement, nor with calling out apparent discrepancies in remarks by participants. A "IF this is what you said here, then what did you mean here" is perfectly acceptable. It provides clarity, and resolves seeming discrepancies. Those very things are the basis of debate, and discussion.

I expect your input, I am glad you have the tenacity to pursue the subject matter beyond small talk. Continuing to do so until you no longer can will provide the basis for provocative thought on these subjects for a long time to come.

I am your friend, and you'll have a hard time changing that.

When all is said and done, likely my thoughts as expressed here are as worthless as most other things representing one person's point of view. . .

Now, maybe later this afternoon I can try a GP on the EFHW and see what happens. I despise the chores that delay my playing with the antennas as much as I'd like.

Homer, you're trying to twisting my words. The reference to ya'll all being happy...was not that I died. It was, that I wouldn't be looking over your shoulders at what you say and do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.