• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Entry Level HF Rig

KD0UCB

Dec 8, 2013
Hello All,

I'm about to test for my General class license. I'm looking for suggestions on a good entry level HF rig. Here is the list I'm considering:

1. Icom IC-7200.
2. Kenwwod TS-480SAT
3. Yaesu FT-450D

I thought about the Yeasu FT-857D or FT-897D but I think the display is a bit small for my eyes.

I would mainly use as a base station at home, but I would also like to bring with me when we are camping in the RV.

Open to other suggestions also. I appreciate your input.

73's

KD0UCB
Ralph

Hey Ralph, I'm jealous! Congrats on getting General. I have not ran any of the rigs you listed. Something to consider as an option... with the small displays of the 857 and 897, you *could* run the rig with HRD and depending on how large your computer monitor is, would give you plenty of display.

Do you want/need VHF/UHF, or just the HF bands?

Brett

Kenwood 480 or 450 are great.

I shy away from the yaesu 450, friend has one been sent off 3 times for warranty repair.

Another friend has one and it has no issues????

Of that list... 7200 wins.

The 480 has AF DSP only and filters are optional. It loses big here. No mic jack on head=lame.

The 7200 blows the 480 away and is a few steps up from the 450.

I've owned all 3 of these rigs.

Besides, the 450 is ugly.

Print out the spec sheets on each rig. The 7200 comes out ahead, but it's display is a tad small.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Icom IC 7000? It would be better than the 857d for your eyes although would be a little more expensive and covers VHF/UHF.

Reactions: 2 people
Great feedback everyone. I'm primarily want a radio that is HF/6 Meters. I have 3 other 2 meter/70 cm radios. I thought about the IC-7000, but seems quite a bit more expensive than the other entry level radios. Is it work the extra coin? I'm really tempted with the Icom IC-7200 with the USB interface.

Thanks

... I'm primarily want a radio that is HF/6 Meters. I have 3 other 2 meter/70 cm radios. I thought about the IC-7000, but seems quite a bit more expensive than the other entry level radios. Is it work the extra coin? I'm really tempted with the Icom IC-7200 with the USB interface.

Thanks

the IC 7k is not an "entry level" rig, I have one as a backup to my primary radio, and it is (IMO) worth the (approx.) $1200 asking price.

as far as an "entry level" rig, the IC 7200 will serve you well. right now many retailers have added a $100 discount,..... $874, out the door http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...rl=http://www.gigaparts.com/Icom-IC-7200.html
for that price, you will be hard pressed to find a better HF/50 MHz rig

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm about to test for my General class license. I'm looking for suggestions on a good entry level HF rig. Here is the list I'm considering:

1. Icom IC-7200.
2. Kenwwod TS-480SAT
3. Yaesu FT-450D

I thought about the Yeasu FT-857D or FT-897D but I think the display is a bit small for my eyes.

I would mainly use as a base station at home, but I would also like to bring with me when we are camping in the RV.

Open to other suggestions also. I appreciate your input.

73's

KD0UCB
Ralph

just dont get the alnico dx sr8t , its great and all but does not have an adjustable gain .......not cool

Sorry had two too many icoms.And know of many icoms 7000 and 7200 displays going out.I really like my 3 yr old ft450,and use everyday.Congrats on gen.73 de n0zna

Gee, I dunno 'bout that.

I belong to the IC7K user group and I just checked it.

display failures are not common on the 7K....... unless there is RF getting back into the rig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.