• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EPT360015C Connex cx3400hp dual mosfet issue.

I think my big issue is driver bias adjustment on this chassis. IF this radio has ssb it wouldn't be an issue, but as it is am/fm only, there is always a carrier present so the 55ma driver figure leaves me with a zero deadkey such as expected with ssb. I suppose a driver mA spec for say a 4 watt am dk would be good to know. I may pull my 959 out and get a reading from it in am to extrapolate the expected draw. I got really hung up on this stripped down export and my usual procedure for such.
The test points will be just fine. Or you can also use a current meter on the main power of the radio and obtain your resting current with he radio on and not keyed. That's your baseline. Then just add you MA per final one at a time. Test points are easier tho

Hmmm...Well, I just wanted to notify the site, that this might set off a chain of events - that could get interesting...

In the years I've worked with MOSFET - unless there are "EKL" and their counterparts used, the issue of self-biased MOSFET is a rare realm of effort.

Bipolar can do it thru their "PN junction presence" at the Base to connect itself to the other two in the substrate, Collector and Emitter. RF gets rectified there - but remember too, the CLASS the thing works in, Class C and Class D for it's biasing and power - the reason why it works the way it does is by the Collector - using the BASE to flow both to the Emitter.

It's when you ADD in a method to turn the transistor on using a smaller level of signal - using BIAS - does the post you made - worth letting others know of the approach - else we just might not be seeing a step they did - and we missed it because they did this further up a chain or feeder in the TX line.

A diode of some sort, or a biasing method - was used in/and still is used, just getting the MOSFET to turn on in the presence of RF. Now, I'm - not saying it's impossible, just a lot of energy is needed in the RF signal to make the GATE turn on - rendering much of the signal that can be used, lost to the effort of just getting the thing turned on - there is not much left to reproduce.

So double check to see if they "regulated" the Bias using a feeder from - say, the 8V+ rail or TX line - so they could bias the Gate with just enough to turn it on when it was in TX mode.
I've read this many times but your knowledge of RF is leagues ahead of mine. I would like to get to the bottom of it I suposoed with enough poking around I'll get it working right. Glad people like you are here to help your the man Andy

The test points will be just fine. Or you can also use a current meter on the main power of the radio and obtain your resting current with he radio on and not keyed. That's your baseline. Then just add you MA per final one at a time. Test points are easier tho
No bias mA appears across the test points unless keyed. I have no issues biasing similar rigs in ssb mode using the test points. Ssb mode inhibits a carrier, allowing to set base bias to it's trigger point. This rig has no ssb. This is the confusion I speak of. How can the tp's be used without keying? I could be wrong and if so, please explain. I have read this thread forwards and backwards until my head hurts. I have never had as much trouble grasping something until now. Thank you for your help.

I've read this many times but your knowledge of RF is leagues ahead of mine. I would like to get to the bottom of it I suposoed with enough poking around I'll get it working right. Glad people like you are here to help your the man Andy
You are correct. Andy has so much to offer, he should charge for classes and educate us in lecture. I would pay good money for him to impart that knowledge. I believe I got more practical knowledge from a handful of his threads than most of my RF textbooks. Thank you Andy and God bless you and yours.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.