• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Equiping a test/repair bench

tctb.jpg

A decent freq counter will have a TCXO ('temperature controlled crystal oscillator' pictured above) in it. That will keep it pretty stable after it warms up. W/o a TCXO, it won't get stable and be reliable when adjusting radios. The TCXO is differrent from just a regular crystal in that it has its own heat source so that it can reach its assigned freq and stay very stable there. W/o a heating element, a crystal can/will drift.

I don't know if your counter has one.

I find it hard to accept that your counter can read down to 1hz since there are only six places that it can read out - unless it eliminates the Mhz places altogether. The Hp 5316A counter I use can read 27.000.000mhz (an example); that takes up eight readout places. Your counter only has six places that readout. The last two places being the most significant when doing alignments.

Look at the face of your counter. You can count only six places on it; so how can it read an eight digit number? ANS: it can't. Hope this point makes it clear now.

HP5316A.jpg

Sure hope your counter can do that.

Last edited:
A decent freq counter will have a TCXO in it. That will keep it pretty stable after it warms up. W/o a TCXO, it won't get stable and be reliable when adjusting radios.

I find it hard to accept that your counter can read down to 1hz since there are only six places that it can read out - unless it eliminates the Mhz places altogether. The Hp I use can read 27.000.000mhz; that takes up eight readout places. Your counter only has six places that readout. THe last three zeros being the most significant when doing alignments.

Well I bought it and I am gonna use it......if I can find the proper probes.

It has 2 settings 1 second and auto?

Its solid built.

Last edited:
tctb.jpg

A decent freq counter will have a TCXO ('temperature controlled crystal oscillator' pictured above) in it. That will keep it pretty stable after it warms up. W/o a TCXO, it won't get stable and be reliable when adjusting radios. The TCXO is differrent from just a regular crystal in that it has its own heat source so that it can reach its assigned freq and stay very stable there. W/o a heating element, a crystal can/will drift.

I find it hard to accept that your counter can read down to 1hz since there are only six places that it can read out - unless it eliminates the Mhz places altogether. The Hp 5316A counter I use can read 27.000.000mhz (an example); that takes up eight readout places. Your counter only has six places that readout. The last two places being the most significant when doing alignments.

Look at the face of your counter. You can count only six places on it; so how can it read an eight digit number? ANS: it can't. Hope this point makes it clear now.

HP5316A.jpg

Yes...I understand....but I cannot afford a piece of lab equipment like that...have to do the best I can with what I can afford.....sorry I did not post sooner...but I missed your post....thanks for taking the time to get your point across.

Thank Rob and all

I'm getting there, I did my homework and now understand the difference between a frequency display and a frequency counter.
So we need
DVM and analog meter
Frequency counter
Watt meter
Bench radio
Service informantion

If we could continue, next is the signal generator, an RF signal generator. From what I read I need something to inject a tone into the radio, Rob I saw your article on using a radio as one, very nice. Am I correct in assuming that I will need something in the 1-30Mz range with adjustable output level?

1. Any recomendation?

2. Then won't I need to build a RF probe to "see/hear" the signal?

Understanding that this is without using a computer or scope.

Where can you buy a "RF Signal Sampler" for a reasonable price?

Much easier to build that to buy. Commercially made samplers are just ridiculous in price and frankly just aren't worth it or even needed for your needs.

Requires two female SO-239 connectors, one female BNC connector, small project box (you might even use an Altoids box), one ferrite sleeve, a 100 ohm/1/4 watt resistor, and some scrap wire. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this project; probably take you more time to drill the holes for the BNC/SO-239 connectors than it would to put it all together - honestly.

moleculo-albums-homebrew-stuff-picture375-inside-rf-sampler.jpg

This is no a complex circuit here, a monkey could build this. Don't be afraid to try.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Rob, I had seen it when searching,
Question: Does the BCN on the sampler go to your signal generator?

Thanks Rob, I had seen it when searching,
Question: Does the BCN on the sampler go to your signal generator?

Not to the sig gen; it goes to the input of the freq counter. That ferrite bead in the previous photo is picking up the radio's signal through the wire by induction. There is no direct contact, it is all done by/through inductive sensing of the RF output.

For example, you can take a piece of ordinary wire and wrap it a 5-6 times around you coax and connect those wire ends to a freq counter and it will be able to pick up enough signal to read the transmitted freq through induction. All this RF sampler does is pretty much the same thing, except that it is in a shielded metal box and it uses a piece of ferrite to accomplish the same thing a little better/neater. A resistor is put in series with this wire so that it can be used if more than 50w is being transmitted. Having connectors on the box make it easier to hook things together with cabling - is all . . .

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question...but can you get a freq counter reading by putting a ferrite bead on your coax and keying up the radio and touching it with the freq counter probe?

This might be a dumb question...but can you get a freq counter reading by putting a ferrite bead on your coax and keying up the radio and touching it with the freq counter probe?

Not a dumb question.

But no; it needs to have wire wrapped around the ferrite 5-6 times so it can pick up a very slight voltage that can be read by the freq counter. WE only need enough of this to 'trigger' the freq counter.

When transmitting, your coax will have an electromagnetic field around it. If we wrap just 5-6 turns around the coax, the wire is now inside this electromagnetic field and enough of those electrons get trapped in that wire. They will oscillate at the same freq that is being transmitted through the coax. Just a very small amount is being drawn away and not anywhere near enough to affect radio output; so not to worry. But it is enough so that the freq counter can sense it and read it. However, if you run 1,000 watts through that coax, that voltage can be considerably higher. So, a resistor is used so that too much voltage is kept out of the freq counter; or it could burn out the counter. You don't need to test freq at high power levels anyway if you are aligning a radio; this is used for testing and adjustments.

Last edited:
Not a dumb question.

But no; it needs to have wire wrapped around the ferrite 5-6 times so it can pick up a very slight voltage that can be read by the freq counter.

So could you make one without the box on a coax jumper?

So could you make one without the box on a coax jumper?

Sure, but it would be a mess when you are trying to align a radio. You need it to be consistent and stable so that your readings can be dependable enough that adjustments can be made if necessary.

BTW - That RF sampler can also be connected to an O'scope instead of the freq counter and the transmit waveform can be seen this way. I use the sampler for that - too. Seeing the waveform can give you the means to adjust AM modulation so it can be set at 100% properly. Superior to using a modulation meter - which are never accurate enough.

Last edited:
Thanks again Robb, I used the advanced search and can't find the article where you made the rf sampler.
If you could point it out to me, or the part number for the ferrite it would be so helpful.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.