• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Equiping a test/repair bench

Thanks for taking the time to answer the post, it's very helpful to me.
I'm on that road of building a bench and trying to learn.

Questions: Freq counter hookup, I have been reading some service manuals and it calls for the use of a freq counter.
I have had the kind that plug into the back of the radio, but what would you recomend and how do you hook it to the radio?

First of all, I would never/ever use the kind of freq counter that plugs into the back of a radio. Never. They do not provide enough freq resolution and quite frankly just aren't accurate enough for alignment work. You need a real lab-grade type of freq counter that can display 8 or 9 digits; not a meter that only shows 5 or 6 digits.

Another important reason, is that these add-on freq counters are built specifically/only for certain models of radios. They have a built in freq oscillator that allows you to see the '27.205mhz'/Ch 20 displayed even though it is sampling a 16.510mhz freq from the loop oscillator on a Galaxy DX-959 - as an example. The same model of freq counter will not work on -lets say- a Cobra 148 GTL that has a loop oscillator freq of 35.005mhz on Ch 20 - which is a different freq than the 959. That counter will read way off/way too high. Needless to say; these type of freq counters will not work for aligning the many different radios. So, a lab grade/type counter is necessary for aligning the many different kinds of radios out there.

Using a cable that has clip-on leads at one end and bnc connector for the freq counter is what I use. Those clip-on leads allow you to connect to the test points w/o possibly causing a short - like an alligator clip might accidentally cause. You don't want/need these kinds of accidents! I use these clips for setting up the first portion of the PLL and Loop Oscillator adjustments (see pic below). Quick, easy, and safe.

For adjusting the radio's output oscillator, I use something different since these adjustments are made while transmitting. I use a homemade RF 'sampler' that has bnc connectors to hook it up to the freq counter for AM and SSB output adjustments (along with a 50 ohm dummy load). You DO NOT want to make a direct connection to the freq counter without using a sampler from the radio; or that will instantly fry your freq counter. Use a sampler and a dummy load.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/home-brew/32110-rf-sampler.html

Attachments

• bncclip.jpg
    bncclip.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Digital MultiMeter

is a
fluke 87v multimeter
mfxYeSknpJUIs6gBNw4zj2A.jpg

sufficient or should I be looking at something similar to a
Agilent 34401A
1454343Q8-0.jpg

I just bought a clean BK model 1801 freq counter off ebay for $35....it looks like new and seller sez it works as it should and is accurate.....been looking for a while.....did not want to put a lot into one as I don't very often do alignments...bol getting what you need. :)

As of now....I have a....

Freq counter
Signal generator
DMM
Capacitor tester
Daiwa 801 watt/peak meter
dummy load

I just bought a clean BK model 1801 freq counter off ebay for $35....it looks like new and seller sez it works as it should and is accurate.....been looking for a while.....did not want to put a lot into one as I don't very often do alignments...bol getting what you need. :)

As of now....I have a....

Freq counter
Signal generator
DMM
Capacitor tester
Daiwa 801 watt/peak meter
dummy load

Really need a freq counter that displays 8 or 9 places. Because that will give you the necessary 10Hz of resolution that every freq counter needs for doing alignments properly. Most alignments procedures call for a +/- tolerance of 10Hz. Those Chinese units on eBay for less than $100 seem to be OK.

What kind of sig gen is it?
Model/make?

Do you have clip-on test leads and a RF Sampler?
Need them - too . . .

Last edited:
Really need a freq counter that displays 8 or 9 places. Because that will give you the necessary 10Hz of resolution that every freq counter needs for doing alignments properly. Most alignments procedures call for a +/- tolerance of 10Hz. Those Chinese units on eBay for less than $100 seem to be OK.

What kind of sig gen is it?
Model/make?

Do you have clip-on test leads and a RF Sampler?
Need them - too . . .

Its a ancient tube type heathkit.

I need probes for the B&K freq counter....and you have the kind that works with that unit.

this is the type it says in the manual.

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Dunno if that freq counter will work out for you.
It doesn't look like it will have enough freq resolution.

Example:
Looks like it would only read down to 27.2050 and not capable of reading down to 27.20500 - which would be the minimum resolution needed for alignments.

That is why I said that freq resolution is needed down to 10hz; and your counter will only go as low as 100hz resolution.

Last edited:
That highlighted portion is the RANGE of the instrument; Robb's talking about RESOLUTION - not at all the same thing.

The spec sheet does show the resolution as "1 Hz" -- which I find a little hard to believe.

Reactions: 1 person
That highlighted portion is the RANGE of the instrument; Robb's talking about RESOLUTION - not at all the same thing.

The spec sheet does show the resolution as "1 Hz" -- which I find a little hard to believe.

Ok...I boned up on freq counters......why do you find it hard to believe?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.