• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Equipment Identification - Motorola Amp?

badfish

Dec 1, 2008
Hello to all. I have been searching with no luck to try and figure out what this is. I got it from a estate sale. The guy was a Motorola tech and I bought all of his radio items. Most of it is gone, what I have left I am keeping. But this one remains a stumper. The Motorola website was no help at all......so here it goes. It is Motorola, tag says FSCM: 94990, AN/AM-XXX, Part Number: 01-b35580c001. For all I know, this may not even be anything HAM related but the 'RF' in and 'RF' out tell me it is some kind of amp, pre-amp, or filter. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, a ballpark of what it is worth .....if anything. Thank you!

100_3314.jpg

badfish,
This isn't going to be much help. I can tell you a couple of things about this thing, though. You're right, it's not a piece of 'ham' related gear. It's a measuring/testing device made specifically for Motorola equipment installations. Because of it's power requirements (28 volts), I would guess it's for equipment/installations testing or 'trouble shooting', not necessarily cars/trucks, but something larger. Since it is specifically for Motorola equipment, it would probably have to be modified extensively to have any use at all. From appearances, it's not exactly 'new', so -may- not even be very useful to Motorola people. Having dealt with Motorola stuff a little, I can tell you that 'new' it wasn't cheap. No idea what it might be worth now. If you can get the covers off of it and take a peek inside, you might find all kinds of useful 'stuff'.
Not much help, huh? Sorry 'bout that.
- 'Doc

(If by chance you happened to get an old 'Simpson' '260 VOM in all that stuff you bought, I would be willing to pay the shipping costs!!!)

some help is better than none.....

Well, that's more than I knew about it when I posted it. The 28VDC hookup also had me stumped. Most of the stuff I had was 2-way and CB related. There was nothing 'Simpson' in the lot I bought. Mostly it was all Regency, Standard, Midland, and Motorola for 2-ways.

But like I said, 90% of what I had is gone from ebay sales. I only have 3 radios left and a few power supply's.

Thanks for the info.

Well, Heres what I can tell you about it. I cant read what the bottom conections say but the one that says BIT/control I can tell you what it is. BIT stands for Background Initialization test, used for running self diagnostics tests and control is remote ops like an aircraft MLV system. All the connections and even the hour meter are military grade. In fact they are exactly the same as what we use on our Radar jammers and control panels on the F16. Im willing to bet some where on the case it says power requirements are 120volt 400hz. That would mean one of two things. Either this is a Test module for the UHF and VHF radios in aircraft or this is an actual plugin module for the comm. system on the aircraft. If you could get more pics I could help a bit more on this one.

Hello to all. I have been searching with no luck to try and figure out what this is. I got it from a estate sale. The guy was a Motorola tech and I bought all of his radio items. Most of it is gone, what I have left I am keeping. But this one remains a stumper. The Motorola website was no help at all......so here it goes. It is Motorola, tag says FSCM: 94990, AN/AM-XXX, Part Number: 01-b35580c001. For all I know, this may not even be anything HAM related but the 'RF' in and 'RF' out tell me it is some kind of amp, pre-amp, or filter. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, a ballpark of what it is worth .....if anything. Thank you!

100_3314.jpg
looks aeronautical in nature to me ,
28 vdc , cant read what the larger style connector in the lower
lefthand corner is for ,
my immediate guess , is radio id, like a transponder or
a device to handle data , sent by radio ,
at any rate it definitely looks military and like its spent some time in the air

what it says on the bottom....

Thanks for the info. I'm learning more about it everyday. Along the bottom it says "Have Quick Power Amp". I'll pop a cover off tonight when i get home.

How about that, interesting. At least you've found a sort of 'ball-park' price figure. No idea what 'market' would be right for it though. Might have some 'ham' applications but would require some fairly 'extensive' modifications, I would think. I also think that I'd be sort of careful about who I sold it to considering the warning connected with it. Also, considering my level of 'expert'-'tease' with that stuff, I'm glad it's yours and not mine! :)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.