• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ever sit and wonder...

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
...when reading questions of why the youth of today don't seem interested in Amateur radio ? A lot of reasons are given as being the internet and cell phones have filled the void. Why would one consider talking to someone on a radio when you can Instant message or dial a number on the cell ? I think we have to go back to why we do. We are not communicating via radio for the sake of communicating. Otherwise the above mentioned would fit the bill. But we are communicating via RADIO. That is what carries the mystique. The mystery and awe of being able to communicate with a stranger or friend through a radio. The challenge of a contact somewhere else in the world . Looking for signals from far away that create a great adventure and sometimes lasting friendships with someone we in most cases will never meet face to face. The excitement of hearing a familiar voice when turning the dial. I think if we want to encourage and tweak an interest in a great hobbie we need to get back to explaining "why" we do it. Let them get a glimpse of the excitement that draws us to the microphone , that they can see it is so much more than just communicating for the sake of communication ! :)

I agree with you and have tried to think of some ways to get some of the kids at the High School where I work interested in the hobby. None seem to have an interest or have other interests that take a priority. I was curious as to how a school in another district has a very active radio club. I went to their school website and discovered the answer. They offer an elective course in Beginning Electronics in which the first semester focuses on simple electronics and technics in building projects. The second semester is a preparation course for passing the Technician Class license Exam. That exam is in fact the final exam for the second semester.

It is reasonably easy to understand that modern convenience can be taken for granted. That is how the kids see their Ipods, cellphones, and computers; it's just an means to an end---and a narrow end at that.

The ONE thing I haven't been able to reconcile is text messaging. Here's a kid pecking away at a cellphone & text-ing, and it actually takes LONGER than it would to just ring 'em up and say, "Hey, I'll see you at 4, OK?" :D CW is faster than text messaging! LOL! But they'll stand there for several minutes pecking away, when I, old technology-me would just grab the cell (or radio) and give 'em a holler!~ :p

CWM

C W Morse said:
It is reasonably easy to understand that modern convenience can be taken for granted. That is how the kids see their Ipods, cellphones, and computers; it's just an means to an end---and a narrow end at that.

The ONE thing I haven't been able to reconcile is text messaging. Here's a kid pecking away at a cellphone & text-ing, and it actually takes LONGER than it would to just ring 'em up and say, "Hey, I'll see you at 4, OK?" :D CW is faster than text messaging! LOL! But they'll stand there for several minutes pecking away, when I, old technology-me would just grab the cell (or radio) and give 'em a holler!~ :p

CWM

They have to text,,,,, how else can they send the answers to the test quietly :p :twisted:

I don't know about some of you all, but I recently received my general ticket, and I haven't used privilege 1 of my general class license.

In my area, I have rediscovered 11 meter, and I myself, really enjoy being able to communicate virtually anytime - day or night.

But, that's just me.

The whole idea of ham radio as it is today, just needs to be reworked - or I can just stay on 11 meter, where there's a fairly constant level of activity.

Snake Eyes said:
I don't know about some of you all, but I recently received my general ticket, and I haven't used privilege 1 of my general class license.

In my area, I have rediscovered 11 meter, and I myself, really enjoy being able to communicate virtually anytime - day or night.

But, that's just me.

The whole idea of ham radio as it is today, just needs to be reworked - or I can just stay on 11 meter, where there's a fairly constant level of activity.

Snake Eyes,

Looks like you have ample equipment. Have you taken advantage of the conditions that are open in 20m, 40m or 80M? Check 60m for openings as well. I have had a wonderful time the past several months in the mobile enjoying QSO's and contesting on these bands. I most recently completed a horizontal delta loop antenna that has also added to my enjoyment of the hobby.

73's!!

Wayne C.

You're right Wayne. After getting my Gen. ticket I have been finding all kinds of conditions through the different bands. There seems to be always something open. I spend a lot of time on 75,20 and 40. I took the time and made a Windom wire antenna and get out great with it on 17, 40 and 75. My aluminum groundplane tunes up nice for 20 and 10. Compared to 11m it's sort of like stepping out of Walmart into Mall of America as far as available conditions :) I really enjoy getting the flow of QSL cards.

ANSWER,
satin walks the EARTH and makes them kids dress funny and listen to crap music and drive little so called big cars(loud mufflers) and go against there parents..and skip school and end up robbing Gas Stations for the money for a cell phone or and I pod or there drug of choice....and we all know the devil hates RF waves :p
and tells these kids no transmitting in my world :p

every friday-sat WI and Rockford guys about 10 of us get together on the radio 11 meter 27.1650 and chat almost all night..

funny thing most kids thinK a cell phone is safer to chat on ...lol

I totally dig local communication.....it's much better than skip (to me)....but the skip (when it rolls through) is pretty good though!!

Me thinks I like it all!!

:)

Snake Eyes said:

But, that's just me.

Sounds like someone needs to check out some other bands. I can truthfully say that there is always someone to talk to 24/7 on one band or another. Even when a solar storm knocks out HF then 2m is still usable.Sometimes those solar storms even enhance activity on 6m. They say that variety is the spice of life,well amateur radio offers a huge variety in communications options. One just has to explore which options one wants to be a part of.

Snake Eyes said:

But, that's just me.

Did you EVER sit down and read the Basis and Purpose of Amateur Radio?

Did you actually read ANY of the theory required to obtain that ticket or did you simply memorize the answers to the questions? It is evident even over on QRZ that this IS the case, even OBVIOUS that Amateur Radio is regarded as just another appliance like a TV and too many "operators" are
appliance operators rather than semi-skilled hobbiests that are students of the radio art.

Taking the time to LEARN HOW to USE the spectrum---even investing small amounts of time gradually will teach one how to USE the resources you apparently have no inkling of because you have never even TRIED to accept the gifts being offered.

Amateur Radio with its vast spectrum opens up unlimited FREQUENCIES, not "channels" and that's the whole idea. Subtly, it is trying to tell you that, by the fact that you aren't limited to "channels", that you are free to ROAM at will thru the spectrum observing the rules of courtesy and band limits.
It is trusting YOU with much freedom that CB doesn't offer.

Your post about "changing" Amatuer shows your CB perspective where you do not want to LEARN or fully explore radio or expend any effort to "earn" these gifts; you want it handed to you with no effort whatever. I hate to think of what you want Amateur Radio to be "changed to"! :oops: Forgive me if I am a bit cynical, but what you seem to be saying is, you want "all those 'channels' from DC to Daylight. You want few, or no, limits on your behavior. You would want a "service" with NO testing of knowledge. You would want to run a 2 Meter handheld at 100 watts (there is no such thing, but did you ever try to find out WHY the largest self-contained handie talkie is 7 watts or less?). I can only guess what you want Amateur Radio to become (shudder)! Um, perhaps an extension of CB? (SKREEEEEEEE, HOOOOOOOWWWLLLLL, ROOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!)

Dear Lord in Heaven, spare us from THAT! If THAT is the fate of ham radio, then I'm putting my stuff away. You perhaps, call it "snobs" or "elitist", but Lord, save us from people that SCREAM into the mike! People that ask how come their 2 Meter radio has no "swang". People that think that FM doesn't get out like AM. People that buy HF antennas, slap them on their cars, then short them down 0/0 infinity. Throw away their impedance matching devices. Even set their cars on FIRE, then try to blame somebody ELSE because they didn't READ the dang instructions!!!!! :roll: And SAVE us, LORD, from those that want Amateur Radio to become a Cesspool of noise, a useless hodgepodge of racket and junk!

NOW! I posted that on purpose to jolt us into thinking about WHY do *I* want to be a "ham"! :D First of all, Amateur Radio is not supposed to be compared to CB, tho it often IS.
First, FORGET your preconceived notions you brought with you from 11 Meters! Start with a clean slate. READ the rules and WHY they are there. Are you interested in learning WHY your radio signal does what it does? Would you like to MAKE many of your own antennas for PENNIES and KNOW how and WHY they work? Would you like to learn what the effects of elevation on your antenna are? How your antenna will behave at certain heights? Whether it is best to keep it low, or put it higher? (yes, there are sometimes reasons to mount it lower down) Ever heard of NVIS (near vertical incidence)?

There is an EDUCATION available on the internet, from other hams, in the ARRL Handbook if you want it! There is DX the likes of which mere CB will NEVER achieve beyond the noise and hash. There's countries to work, contests to do, projects to build that CB cannot, nor was it EVER designed to, do! Subtle things, small lessons to learn over the years as your hobby builds, things you can recall and use again and again!

CB offers yap, yap, yap,yap, yap, yap, noise, noise, noise,noise, and while there is some foolishness on the ham bands that is not long tolerated, NONE of the cursing, filthy mouthed, lowlife goings-on you can find on 11M. It doesn't take long to find F*** this and F*** and G-D- this, and G-D- that, That "F" word will getcha popped real quick on 75 Meters. CB is a MESS! OTH, they deplore any ham that might report amateur violations as "rats",but they never stop to think WHY their own "service" is in the mess it is! Why the noise, why the crowding? Why the "stomping 'mudducks'" as if that were some virtue! HA! THEY MADE THEIR OWN MESS BUT THEIR 'SOLUTION' IS TO MAKE IT WORSE! :(
Amateur Radio does NOT need changing! It OFFERS something beyond the norm; PRIDE in achievement when your
CB set smokes and you learn to fix it yourself! Or wire a microphone. It was NEVER meant to be an "appliance". It requires something from the participant. It should be a higher step from the ratchetjaw tradition of CB, not dragged down to the lowest common denominator where NO ability is required for participation (like watching TV).

And hams can communicate "day or night", MORE so than any CB op. The CB op *might* get a DX station tonight, but tomorrow he cannot contact that SAME station the next night on the same frequency. The ham usually CAN--especially on 75 and 40 meters--------again and again, and again, and again! If he can't, the stations can move up or down one or more bands and do it while the CBer is stuck! So the analogy is a fallacy between the two services. Amateur FAR outstrips CB in communications ability!

If I came off harsh, I'm sorry. I just do not agree that Amateur Radio should be continually watered down until it is a mindless muddle of racket! Instead, new hams should try to LEARN HOW to effectively use both the rules AND the radio theory to FURTHER their knowledge of the art, NOT try to equate Amateur Radio with an non-technical appliance hobby that requires NO effort for the reward!

CWM

Okay, I read it....

CWMorse,

I know what HAM is.....I studied for, and EARNED both my licenses.

As for what I find useful with it....everyone finds something different.

For me, I (and I alone), appreciate people being laid back and all.

Real life, ya know?

And, I apologize for calling you preacherman...as I don't typically engage in name calling!

Let's face it, even New York City repeaters are dead!!!!!!

As for HF, well....no time to comment!!

I don't mean to be harsh. I WELCOME you one and ALL to Amateur Radio, will do everything I can to make a new ham's experience the best it can be! But I see so much of this new attitude of---Nobody-wants-to-expend-any-effort--until ya have to wonder where the aspiration to the superlative is any longer. It's almost like it is no longer "politically correct" to ask for the higher plane anymore. I see things like "We need to change Amateur Radio" and alarm bells and klaxon horns go off with the obvious question being: "changed to WHAT?" What sort of change?

From a personal perspective, I see evidence of a degradation of amateur radio already from what appears to be a "dumbing down" of the testing. IMHO, there is TOO much memorization of the questions where we learn by rote "The answer to Question 2 is "A". But WHAT is that answer TELLING us? I see hams with the ink not yet dry on their tickets asking on QRZ, "What 'channels' can I use on 10 Meters"? If they had ANY inkling of the test they just took, they would have some idea, OR they'd have a required copy of the Amateur Rules and a frequency chart right there in their shack! You can tell they regard amateur radio with the SAME DIS-regard they hold for Part 95: probably NEVER even SAW a copy of those rules, and think that they can do the very same with Part 97!!!! :(
You can tell that they don't KNOW doodly squat when they chirp and sing loudly about how they are going to buy a Galaxy 99V so they can run 10 and 11 meters with one radio and one antenna! IT IS AGAINST THE LAW, FOLKS! But the newbie OUGHT to already KNOW that if he had even cracked the book. Naw, he just memorized 25 answers and now he's ready to conquer the world with his "export" radio! :cry: Sad!
REALLY!

So when I decry the seeming rush to CB-ize amateur radio, I am also trying to get folks to see that they are NOT the same thing, nor should they be!

Before you RUSH to condemn amateur radio and run screaming back to the safety of 11 Meters, give it a CHANCE! TRY some of those bands with the General ticket. LISTEN to the operations of other hams, Blend in. Conform to the Amateur Radio tradition. Explore some of those other bands besides 10 and 11 Meters. Go to 20 Meters and snag some of those exotic stations--some of which you will never hear on CB! Work
Bosnia, or Estonia, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, S. Africa. Betcha you'll be hooked before you know it. Build some antennas from the Handbook! If they don't work, so what? Try again. Eventually, you'll be a "pro"!

CWM

I sincerely appreciate what you are saying here in this thread. :)

I hope to get good use out of my general, and eventually test for the extra.

Thanks for taking the time to engage me!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio