• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ever sit and wonder...

I have to agree with what CW Morse is saying,not necessarily HOW he says it, but definately WHAT he says. ;) I also get miffed when I hear folks saying that amateur radio must change. WHY? If you don't like it then pick another hobby but do give it a fair shake first. In this day of instant gratification people are not willing to actually work for something but rather want it given to them now.This is seen in society as a whole especially in the younger generation that has had so much growing up that they think that all things should come easy to them.I know I had more than some but I certainly did not have everything I ever wanted growing up but I did learn what a good work ethic would earn you as well as the value of a dollar and I am gratefull to my parents for that. I feel much better about something I accomplished than something that was given to me.

Being very young myself still I think most of the kids today just have no interest in radio at all unless its listening to the crap they call music. Alot of them dont even know what amtateur or ham radio is. I think society just shys away from it becouse of the fact that we have cell phone and internet. Also cant say I understand that whole text messaging BS ether. I hate to see what happens to the radio hobby in general when Im older becouse there is not anyone my age I talk to on the radio on a daily basis on Ham or CB.

I certainly don't mean to be harsh as I said to begin with. I know hams(?) who are allegedly (well, their ticket says so) "Extra" Class. Legally, they are, but I know good and daggum well they are no more qualified than my daughter's Rotweiler. IOW, they couldn't figure the length of a dipole if their lives depended on it. I know one boy that I am almost CERTAIN he "bought" his license about 10 years ago when Hollingsworth caught a bunch of VE's falsifying tests. This guy just never got caught, that's all. I didn't know him back then. HARUMPH! :? He didn't KNOW beans THEN because he doesn't know beans NOW. He couldn't pad a voltage with resistance if his life depended on it! I'm Advanced, so technically, I should be "inferior" in book larnin' to him. But no, he just memorized the questions so he can yap his trap and turn all knobs to the right! :( (Sound familiar?) HOW can I respect THAT?

I sell HF mobile antennas. HF is not plug 'n play, boys. You MUST expend some effort to make a multi-band HF antenna work as it should. For example, the guys here sweat and slave trying to get their CB antenna to cover 27 MHZ and figure they are doing well if they get it to 1.5/1 SWR. HAMS work as much as 11 bands from 1.8 to 30 MHZ---over 28 MHZ :shock: and get them to work down sometimes to 1.2/1 from one end of the band(s) to the others! In so doing the ham must understand such things as impedance, grounding, and
HOW to make that antenna put out a signal over all those bands. That takes study, practice, gradual understanding that memorizing 25 questions AIN'T gonna cut. A newbie who slaps on, for example, one of my screwdriver antennas, and he ain't ever studied the material? HA! I'll lay a wager that the antenna will NOT work for him. BETCHA! :D I see it all the time. It ain't a put-down; it-is-simple-fact!

Not long ago, a ham bought a screwdriver antenna from me. He was going to use it as a BASE station, OK? Now, this is a MOBILE antenna. If you know what you are doing (grounding, radials, counterpoise, etc), you can make them work pretty well, tho it won't beat a resonant dipole. I always draw up when I hear a ham is going to do this because there's a whole different set of mechanics going on (and I hope Doc chimes in on this). He set it up along his chain link fence using that as a
counterpoise. Bragged on how well it was doing. A few days later I got an email fussing that the antenna now wouldn't load up & SWR was WAY up around the moon. Fingers were being pointed at ME. Of course I had no way to know what the problem was. He also said that the loading coil had totally lost its continuity and I couldn't envision what was the matter. Big puzzle.....until I kept quizzing him. Here's what he had done (but he wanted to shift blame to ME)! :(

It rained that weekend. The antenna was installed UNDER and in a small tree so that the whip was amongst leaves. The rain caused the leaves to droop and TOUCH the whip where it did not before. This changed the resonant frequency and also caused the SWR to go thru the ROOF! :shock: He was also using an 800 watt amp which should be fine under normal conditions. It also set the tree on FIRE! :shock: So couple the huge SWR with the additional effects of the amp= Astronomical Heat that the antenna was not designed to accept!!!!!!!!! This caused the coil form to SHRINK allowing screws to loosen, causing the coil to lose contact, ergo the huge SWR. (My first clue to this when he said it had quit receiving.........................STOP! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!
The coil was NEVER designed to endure 200- degrees Fahrenheit. Under normal use, the coil would not even approach such a temperature! Not even at full legal limit! The antenna has since been moved and when he acknowledged what he did, and repaired the damage, it is working fine----well out from under that tree! :D That was not my fault. He should have KNOWN not to put that antenna in amongst the tree! So long as it was dry, it was OK. When the wind blew, or it rained, it was going to change characteristics. I see this regularly, and it caused by the instant gratification syndrome that's going on these days. When they invent a time machine to take me back to around 1925, I'm going.............. :D

CWM

CWM,

You are very articulate, and I enjoy reading your posts.

As for me, I know the very basics of ham radio, which sounds like a heck of a lot more than some others (like the ones you are referring to).

It is a great hobby, and I enjoy "learning" about the various types of communication within the realm of my license class.

I've considered digital and CW, and have found that not to be my personal forte.

But, give me voice, and we'll be quick on our way. :)

Antennas seem to be a big challenge for most everyone (as you have mentioned). That does not, even for a minute, exclude me.

I have dreamed of putting up a dipole in this HOA area that I have found myself living at, and there's just no room, except for one small opening that now houses an Antron 99 antenna.

Depending on who you talk to, this is a CB antenna....no this is a Ham antenna.....and back and forth, and so on and so on.

I get the types of people you are talking about...CB'ers...many of whom have the thousand watt "kicker" mindset. No problem. I understand this.

But, I myself, understand the (again) basics....which do include impedance, grounding, antenna height, etc. etc.

I think a love for the radio hobby will drive people in the direction of Ham, and that's what I hope happens in the next ten years.

What I hope *doesn't happen* is a "dumbing down" of the testing material to the point that we no longer have to write a written exam!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that....everything has its place....and I try to take some here, borrow some there, and learn as much as I can about it all, so I can make an informed decision. Even though (lol), often times I fail.

73's all, and have a nice Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you before Turkey Day!!!

CWM has some interesting posts there.

But the reality of amateur radio is that it is primarily an old mans hobby.

Thats all well & good if your into the technical aspects of hobby radio. But a big part of the radio hobby is chewing the rag with your own kind. This is a big part of what keeps CB going, the younger guys chewing the fat with their own clique, where they can let their hair down without being all prim & proper as you must behave on ham radio.

11 meters is in a unique place, where mobile antennas can be reasonably efficient, and where skip occurs when the sun cooperates.

This morning (Nov 20) I heard all kinds of spanish speaking skip coming over the car radio on 11 meters. I heard Puerto Rico which is 3,300 miles away, and we are at solar minimum right now. Since 11 meter use is so pervasive outside the USA, how could 26-28MHz ever possibly be allocated to any legitimate radio service? The only reason this band cant be permitted by the FCC to allow DX is because the hams would scream bloody murder that the FCC is sanctioning unlicensed amateur radio.

Just to clarify my point: radio hobby is as much (or more) about talking to friends, as it is about the art of radio itself... ham, cb or whatever.

dudmuck said:
CWM has some interesting posts there.

But the reality of amateur radio is that it is primarily an old mans hobby.

Thats all well & good if your into the technical aspects of hobby radio. But a big part of the radio hobby is chewing the rag with your own kind. This is a big part of what keeps CB going, the younger guys chewing the fat with their own clique, where they can let their hair down without being all prim & proper as you must behave on ham radio.

11 meters is in a unique place, where mobile antennas can be reasonably efficient, and where skip occurs when the sun cooperates.

This morning (Nov 20) I heard all kinds of spanish speaking skip coming over the car radio on 11 meters. I heard Puerto Rico which is 3,300 miles away, and we are at solar minimum right now. Since 11 meter use is so pervasive outside the USA, how could 26-28MHz ever possibly be allocated to any legitimate radio service? The only reason this band cant be permitted by the FCC to allow DX is because the hams would scream bloody murder that the FCC is sanctioning unlicensed amateur radio.

Just to clarify my point: radio hobby is as much (or more) about talking to friends, as it is about the art of radio itself... ham, cb or whatever.

1. But the reality of amateur radio is that it is primarily an old mans hobby.

One of the popular CB myths used to try to legitimize, downtrod, and equate that band to the very REAL and legitimate hobby that made CB radio possible. Funny......I keep running onto 8 year kids on Amateur radio.
OH, that other myth about "ham radio is dying"? The numbers are actually UP!!!

2. If it were NOT for those "old men", your precious "hobby" would not exist. It is those "old men" who are technically competent that invent, sustain, renew, and repair the equipment that jaw-flappers can't. ;)

3. The reason that they cannot, do not, will not allocate the surrounding bandwidth near 27 MHZ is, FCC does not have the authority, does not have the power, is superceded by another agency that controls government and military communications. If you think I am full of hot air, Google "NTIA" (National Telecommunications and Information Agency (authority) and see what you come up with. Contrary to CB myth and legend which CBers are not GOING to admit the truth of (because if they did, they'd have to admit that their perceptions of there being a "freeband" is a LIE), there are agencies who STILL carry assignments in that area. You can howl until Hades freezes over, but they are THERE! One of those agencies that we have discussed here before is Civil Air Patrol. There is a REASON why these frequencies are kept and what they are used for. The difference in CB operators and these who are trained by USAF and their own communications people is, THEY are PROFESSIONAL communicators who know a durn sight more about what they are doing than someone that got his toy "reddio" down at Joe's CB emporium!

First and foremost, their frequencies below 27 MHZ (I cannot personally reveal the actual ones due to USAF/CAP directives),
are there as a buffer against interference that is caused by illegal operators that have no business there anyway. Next, the reason they are used is to provide short-ranged communications in and around a local area. IOW, communications on a base of operations. Contrary to the CB mantra of "I just got to git out jist as far as I kin", they don't WANT to "get out" far. It provides comms from a command post to a flight line (maybe a distance of 100 yards), it is used by runners and messengers. It is used by mobiles out to 50 miles or so (at 150 watt level) to separate traffic and relieve radio congestion. Used as relay---all designed to relieve pressure on other circuits. Sometime used at 5 watts AM, again to provide communications in a very LOCAL area. That very "I wanna talk, talk, talk, talk, yap, yap, yap, yap" is indicative of the lack of knowledge you see no need for. The nearby (to 27 MHZ) frequency is ideal for the purpose because the VHF circuits tend to be loaded with aircraft traffic. By placing an aircraft in a "grid" and a mobile, the mobile station can toggle back and forth between VHF and HF, receiving traffic from aircraft above, relaying data to the base which is then used to add to the puzzle. Then there is yet another use for that frequency. By using the HF instead of the VHF-FM, and the SSB mode, it can frustrate the news media whose scanning receivers may not decode single sideband. Coupled with codes and ciphers, the media snoops, who will indiscriminately "leak" information regarding a search operation, simetimes cause much dismay not only to the searchers themselves, but to a family who might accidentally find out their relative is deceased in a crash BEFORE the proper people have had a chance to meet with them. Families sometimes have their OWN scanners, but by using HF instead of VHF, such distress can often be avoided.
Again this agency (CAP) DOES use its HF resources just below 27 MHZ. And, yes, it sometimes has its communications disrupted by untrained, unauthorized operators who think they know what they are doing. These people are appliance operators who aptly deserve the names they receive from hams and professional communicators alike. Some of the names are derisive, dripping with contempt.

The radio "hobby" as it applies to CB wouldn't exist if it werent for those "old men". It takes nothing to turn on a TV, and it takes nothing to turn on a CB "appliance", either. The difference in the two, is that the CB is capable of creating great harm and massive interference in the hands who know
sh-- from shinola about radio. I shudder to think of the things that wouldn't have been invented if the only thing we want to do was sit on our duffs and expect technology to mysteriously appear for our gratification. If you believe this isn't the case, just LISTEN to a CB. You decry the hams, as you put it, "all prim and proper" and wax almost eloquent in your admiration for "SCREEEEEEEEE, HOOOOOOOOOOOWWL, ROOOOOOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR", "Let's put some 'far in th' w'ar" and "stomp them thar mudducks". Sorry, there's more DX on 14.195 MHZ than 11 Meters ever could ever wish for in a millenium! And the hams do it with-OUT all that noise. Wanna know WHY? Because they DO follow rules of technical competence, courtesy, and more fully understand what they are doing.

The real difference in a CBer and a ham is, it takes more to challenge a ham than mere jabberjawing.!

CWM

Very well said CWM but, I do not knock the CBer's. I started there and feel everything has it's place. Have I or do I ever talk on 1-40AM now? Hell no. Don't like it,don't talk on it and certainly don't listen. Well maybe 19 while traveling but, that channel is tough to listen to with all the cussing and what not. I did occasionally like SSB on the 27.385LSB and 27.475LSB but, found myself disliking it more and more. If 1-40AM or 11meter SSB is your thing, then by all means enjoy,have fun, try to be respectfully, use some common sense, curtousy and basic radio ettiquette but, just have fun.

"Ham radio is an old man's hobby."
Not really, but it's sort of true, kind of. I've got to admit, when I was a 'young man' I didn't have the money to have all the 'best' of equipment. Also found out that I didn't ~need~ all that fancy stuff to enjoy the hobby. Not that I would have turned it down if someone just had to give me a multi-thousand dollar thingy, but I wasn't too enthused about the 'prestige' of owning that kind'a stuff (@#$$, lie and say you have it, big deal ;)). It also seems that if there's a bunch of old farts doing something (radio/racing/dancing/whatever), they are enjoying themselves, which is the whole idea. If they like it that much, maybe I would too? There's a connection between age and 'expensive' hobbies too. Not that many 'youngsters' have that kind'a money to spend. So what else is new?

"Ham radio isn't growing like other things."
Yeah, so what? Face it, it's a limited resource. Where the @#$$ would you put'em all if there were a billion of them? Unlimited, unrestrained growth, is typically called 'cancer' in the medical world, and is just as deadly as in the 'other' worlds. Make sense? Sure, allowing anything to sit idle means it's gonna stagnate and sort of go away (or be gotten rid of 'cuz it turns into a problem). Is ham radio stagnating? I sort of doubt it. So tell me. Would you rather be a part of something that doesn't 'take' just anyone, or part of something that has qualifiers? "A few good men", sort of thingy? (Hey, works for them!) It also helps if you can feel proud of accomplishing something. If you've never felt that 'pride' you need to do a little thinking about what you're doing! Right?

"All them hams are a bunch of 'snobs'!"
Sort of (see the 'pride' thingy above), but not really. Different, yes, which is sometimes mistaken for 'snobbery'. Then again, there's reasons for that sort of thingy. Good reasons? Not always, but that just depends on exactly what you are talking about. "They look down on us!", sometimes, but why do they do that? Some very good reasons there at times, and not the ones you might think they are. Get used to it, it happens in everything, not just radio. That sort of thingy can also be taken advantage of. When you figure out the 'how' of doing that, you got it made! And not just with radio licen$es.

"Dumbing Down" Not too sure I wanna go there. That just ain't the best idea in the world ('going there', or the doing of, both). Not that I just want to make things more difficult, but because I hate going to funerals, or like making really dumb mistakes (lots of experience there!).
Is it too hard for you? Then you just ain't trying hard enough. Simple fact. It takes work to do anything that's worthwhile, 'nuther one'a them "get used to it" thingys.

That's all I can think of off hand (Sheesh! That ought to be enough, ain't it? So shut up already!).
There are two things you can take to the bank. If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! And me and Einstein really DO have something in common (grey hair). Almost all the rest of it is B.S. sort of...
- 'Doc

KI4MSJ said:
Very well said CWM but, I do not knock the CBer's. I started there and feel everything has it's place. Have I or do I ever talk on 1-40AM now? Hell no. Don't like it,don't talk on it and certainly don't listen. Well maybe 19 while traveling but, that channel is tough to listen to with all the cussing and what not. I did occasionally like SSB on the 27.385LSB and 27.475LSB but, found myself disliking it more and more. If 1-40AM or 11meter SSB is your thing, then by all means enjoy,have fun, try to be respectfully, use some common sense, curtousy and basic radio ettiquette but, just have fun.

Well, the poster that responded to my comments was knockng hams, so I responded in kind.

Like you, I don't make it a habit of listening to CB. There is simply nothing there to stimulate me. No offense meant. Do I use CB? Yes. I turn it on when there's a backup on the road, listen to which lane to get into, or ask somebody what's going on. When that's done, it goes back OFF. The lingo, the cussing, the lowball comments from truck drivers about the women they see (I sure as heck would not one of that kind of (ahem!) "gentlemen" around my daughter. Not to mention, it is just simply boring. CBers talk about "old men" and how they "always" (?) talk about their gout, etc or the last time they went to the Dr. I listen to THEM (for about 2 minutes before it goes back OFF! :) with their "10-4, driv-ah, I knows whutcha mean, sure do, I guarantee, mercy sakes, you're blowin' smoke, tree top tall, on and on and on ad infinitum"! Every other word is "there"! ;) Searching for something worthwhile to say? Talk about B O R I N G! It might be "cute" to them, but it takes more than THAT to stimulate ME. Now a good current events topic, a discussion on antennas, or one of those 'old men' that used to fly a B-24 in WWII-the lastest change in the Federal Air Regs, or the latest radio from Icom or Kenwood, now THAT will keep me from turning the radio off! ;)

CWM

like 2 ships in the night talking via radio, that's why we pay for phones and internet, it's a sure thing[/quote]

Sorry, but phones and internet are NOT a "sure thing"! Let a disaster occur and see what happens. It's why Amateur Radio has played a vital role in emergency comms from its beginnings.

CWM

Check your info. It is Amateur Radio that has been a reliable resource for filling in for downed communications infrastructure for 100 years. When the phones, the computers, the cell towers, (AND the CB radios only talk for a couple miles),don't work, it's the hams that man the disaster centers and provide communications for both the public and authorities until normal channels can be restored. It was that way on 9/11. It was that way during Katrina. In fact, ham radio was one of the FEW communications systems that actually WORKED while FEMA and other Go'vt systems failed miserably. It is ham radio that is often there when the chips are down. I don't even see a chair for the CB ops at the Emergency Operations Center! :p :twisted: (knee-slap, snort, snort) :D

CWM

CORSAIR said:
C W Morse said:
Check your info. It is Amateur Radio that has been a reliable resource for filling in for downed communications infrastructure for 100 years. When the phones, the computers, the cell towers, (AND the CB radios only talk for a couple miles),don't work, it's the hams that man the disaster centers and provide communications for both the public and authorities until normal channels can be restored. It was that way on 9/11. It was that way during Katrina. In fact, ham radio was one of the FEW communications systems that actually WORKED while FEMA and other Go'vt systems failed miserably. It is ham radio that is often there when the chips are down. I don't even see a chair for the CB ops at the Emergency Operations Center! :p :twisted: (knee-slap, snort, snort) :D

CWM

Maybe, but not having decent conditions like now ham radio is as usless as any other form of communication unless it's transmitted through a cable to it's full destination or via satalite or repeater which is no great feat and completely severs the radios link for a seperate form of transmission.

point to point rf transmissions are useless without proper solar flare conditions no matter what frequency being used.

Not true, the wave lenths that ham radio use 160 through 40 meters are pretty much open all the time, and high profile stations can cover large area's on VHF and UHF.

The sun has had ZERO spots on it for days and days now yet I still work all over the USA east coast on 80m and all over Europe and Africa on 20m. Got my first ever 6V (Senegal) yesterday. :rknrl

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio