• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Experiments

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
I'm sure somebody on the forum has tweaked and peaked a Uniden 510 pro xl. I got bored yesterday and started messing around with mine. I lowered the dead key, to much I think, and I'm having trouble bringing it back up. ( wrong tool for job) but I work in the oilfield so what else is new. My dead key is almost nonexistent but swings to about 19 watts. Although I could be wrong, it's been a couple of years since I've fiddled with the inside of a radio, and I'm no expert by any means! I also cut the modulation limiter. ( I know) CB is so dead around here it probably won't matter. I plan on using my messenger 250 with it. If that goes well then I have plans for an echo board. I have an old TBR1 I used in a Cobra 29, I really liked it, used more for reverb than anything. But I've lost the Installation instructions to it. I figured if I burn my radio down, I don't have a lot invested in it, so I can pick up another one if need be. I'm open to any advice or suggestions, I know their not high dollar radios, I'm just having a little fun.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

im using the schematic for the 510e so if the XL is different this won't work.

for starters, don't mess with L4 and L5. those are part of the filter network and spreading them is only going to cause harmonics.

L6 and L9 should be peaked for maximum modulated wattage. that means using your voice or a tone while peaking them.

the easiest way to lower the deadkey in a radio like this, and most AM only radios for that matter, is to add extra anti-spike diodes in series with the original.

in this radio, that's D7. get yourself some 1N4003 diodes, and unsolder one end of D7.
Make yourself a temporary string of diodes, like say three of them, and solder one end to the now free end of D7, and the other end of your diode string to the PC board hole now left open.

each diode you add will lower the voltage to the collectors of the driver and final by .7 volts. this will lower the deadkey by some amount.

once you figure out how many diodes it takes to lower the deadkey to whatever level you want, you can then make a nice neat "daisy chain" of diodes placed right next to each other soldered in series.
be sure to pay attention to polarity. all diodes should be facing the same direction.

the great thing about this mod is that once you key the mic, thereby forward biasing the diode "on", all your modulation will be coupled through and wont be attenuated at all by the extra diodes.

in effect it's the same as doing a "swing mod" just a different way of doing it.
LC

well even if the boards are different, the diode you are looking for is going to be one of two big black diodes on the board.

one of them will be connected the input power and is the reverse polarity diode.
not the one you want.

the other one will be connected to one end of the modulation transformer.
that's the one you want.
LC

well even if the boards are different, the diode you are looking for is going to be one of two big black diodes on the board.

one of them will be connected the input power and is the reverse polarity diode.
not the one you want.

the other one will be connected to one end of the modulation transformer.
that's the one you want.
LC
I’ve got several of those I worked In a rock quarry and we used the pro 520 xl in every vehicle the mic cords would be pulled and they just replaced the whole thing and would throw the old ones in can and throw them away. I got 40 of them one day and they can be tuned up and they have good receive and transmit. It’s not a power house but I put a dm 452 power echo mic on it and drivers always tell me it’s to loud and tell me to turn my kicker off. Lol I’ll tell them I’m barefoot and on the little radio and they can believe it.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I'm sure somebody on the forum has tweaked and peaked a Uniden 510 pro xl. I got bored yesterday and started messing around with mine. I lowered the dead key, to much I think, and I'm having trouble bringing it back up. ( wrong tool for job) but I work in the oilfield so what else is new. My dead key is almost nonexistent but swings to about 19 watts. Although I could be wrong, it's been a couple of years since I've fiddled with the inside of a radio, and I'm no expert by any means! I also cut the modulation limiter. ( I know) CB is so dead around here it probably won't matter. I plan on using my messenger 250 with it. If that goes well then I have plans for an echo board. I have an old TBR1 I used in a Cobra 29, I really liked it, used more for reverb than anything. But I've lost the Installation instructions to it. I figured if I burn my radio down, I don't have a lot invested in it, so I can pick up another one if need be. I'm open to any advice or suggestions, I know their not high dollar radios, I'm just having a little fun.
If you run out of radios, I have a PRO510XL and PRO520XL. $85.00 + shipping for both radios. "Almost" new (Nov. 2021) in factory boxes. For more information, feel free to send me a Private Message.

It's always nice to have a few spare nerves...
1646507882609.pngYou wish it was a Glandular condition....

But can't do anything about the "Fewer neurons" that other operator uses to entrain themselves with - some you just cannot fathom the issue of use in their "Why?"...

Everyone needs at least one splatter box, especially if you want to irritate that one bucketmouth local that's on am and and gets on your one last nerve
And in the end that Bucketmouth will care less and it won't effect him. All the neighbors around your house will sure know when your on the air. So will other people trying to talk five channels in either direction of the one your on.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, what I posted was ment tongue in cheek. I don't want to bother my neighbors luckily I have good neighbors and plan to keep it that way. I wish there actually was a bucket mouth local near me or any local for that matter. All I usually here is an occasional truck driver on 19 or dead air, only when skip is rolling do I normally hear anyone. I discovered the best way to get on an adgetaters nerves is to give them the ol Richie Cunningham laugh to every thing they say, Hu Hu Hu. For some reason that really seems to bother them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.