• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Experts please: Looking for a new antenna solution for my Wrangler

Just wondering if two ground plane radials are attached to the antenna mounting point parallel to the jeep's rear panel,would that provide an adequate ground plane. The antenna mounting point would have to be well grounded to the back of the jeep or else the coax is the ground plane.

Oh boy, let me try my best here.

From what I understand the coax is the ground plane. The underside of the mounting surface is sanded to the bare metal as what was described in the instructions. I see many people with fine results using this mount, but I never once got lucky with it.

Do you think the walls of the hole itself need to be sanded? I am pretty darn sure I did that too. The stud looks to be in good shape, and I used a new coax. I have another SWR meter arriving this week, in addition to the one I already have, to negate any uncertainty I may be using a faulty meter.

Since I am more into DX etc. I assume I will be very happy with my Sirio, regardless.

your vehicle provides the ground plane. your coax is just the middle man between
the radio and antenna.for more mount checkout bellscb.com they have mounts
just for jeeps. they got a fender mount that could workout better for ya.
tring a different swr is a good idea too.

I have been using a Little 'Wil on the hood with great results the past week at least. My Sirio 5000 should be here tomorrow =]

Thank's guys. My other parts are for sale on a Wrangler site.

I can't wait to get that Sirio going break break!

Please post up how you run the coax through the firewall please. I'm excited to see how you make out with the Sirio. I have the same antenna woes with my '07 JK.

maybe front bumper .

also try tuning it without that quick disconnect . i bet that would lower it . they also have a
hood lip mount that does look like a fm radio antenna , only wise to use on the passenger side so you can still use the atms .
just in case you are using firering coax ,,,, i have never gotten under 2 swr with that terrible coax . i love the idea but doesnt work for ME.
i like to use electric grade grease for my coax connections , it helps keep a ground contact when there is little to work with in the beginning .

my favorite setup for a jeep would be a ball mount on the side and steel whip. guaranteed a low swr and very flexible. please let us know what you go with sir

i hope this helps .

Please post up how you run the coax through the firewall please. I'm excited to see how you make out with the Sirio. I have the same antenna woes with my '07 JK.

I don't have pics, but there are access holes in the firewall where you can string coax/any wire through. In my 2012 Automatic the hole is just above the driver's foot.

maybe front bumper .

also try tuning it without that quick disconnect . i bet that would lower it . they also have a
hood lip mount that does look like a fm radio antenna , only wise to use on the passenger side so you can still use the atms .
just in case you are using firering coax ,,,, i have never gotten under 2 swr with that terrible coax . i love the idea but doesnt work for ME.
i like to use electric grade grease for my coax connections , it helps keep a ground contact when there is little to work with in the beginning .

my favorite setup for a jeep would be a ball mount on the side and steel whip. guaranteed a low swr and very flexible. please let us know what you go with sir

i hope this helps .

I have had that disconnect off for about a year now. It did not change the SWR. The fundammental problem is grounding. I did everything I was supposed to via instructions of the mount/stud and still could not get under 2.5. Performance was awful as you can imagine.

I have a Sirio on the hood and would not have it any other way now!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.