• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export Cb radio power plug upgrade

Well, for starters, take my Stryker 955 for example. I set it up with 14.4 volts feeding it. Key it up and it drops to around 13.1 volts +/-.
I made a new power cord using 10g wire and now it feeds enough power that I don't see a drop when keying up.
I had to cut the existing plug and spliced it to the new wire.
Using one of the power plug upgrades in this situation seems to be a no brainer.

Got me questioning that 3rd pin. What is\was it's purpose? A forgotten ground? Can't be to keep from plugging it up backwards cause I have done it, notched plug, offset pins and all. Pop goes the diode.
some power cords came with a red orange and black the orange one was for memory. I'm trying to remember what radio that used the orange wire I think it was a cobra I could be wrong

The 1.3 drop in DC voltage increases the amp draw of every component that gets voltage inside the chassis.
Increasing amperage causes increased heat in components.
Heat and circuit board components equates to bad “JUJU”.
Lower heat equates to longer lasting components and longer lasting radios.

Also increases the Galaxy Drift!:LOL:

73David

(I’ve never owned a Galaxy Radio. Please put the matches down.)

The 1.3 drop in DC voltage increases the amp draw of every component that gets voltage inside the chassis.

73David

Uh oh, a little roasting huh!! :LOL:
I own a couple galaxy radios but I'll take that in good sportsmanship!
IMG_20230810_181044.gif

73David

My galaxy is a drifter, for sure. Haha... it keeps you on your toes, that's for sure. Actually the only radios I have that don't seem to drift are the radios coming out of Qixiang. I can't tell you how nice it is to turn on a radio and start talking without the dreaded worries about drift! Or having to let it warm up!! :sleep:

And thanks for the info @Dmans. I'll give that knob a slight turn down, now that I'm getting the power to it. (y)

Last edited:
I remember when I was a teenager I used to upgrade the power wires going to the switch. Sometimes I would upgraded switch itself too it would gain a couple of watts. over the years I have found out if you wanna do a competition radio us a relay

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.