1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Export radio choices..

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by CB590, Jun 12, 2019.

?

Export radio choices..

1. Lincoln 2+ v3

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Anytone AT-5555 v6

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Anytone AT-6666

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Stryker 955HPC

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. Ranger 2950

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  6. Ranger 2970N2

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

If only they were as effective on today's rigs. I spend more time on 10/11 meters, which is why I run CB/exports. My HF rigs do nothing with PLN.

Woody-202 likes this.

2. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

i thought about polling same radios...lol. this was tough cause these are good one. and i dont know what ya pereferences are .i dont care for menu driven radios much . but because of the small size and output and reviews on here and locals here have one i chose the anytone 6666.but i also like the 2950 no menus and bigger display...then last i like the lincoln 2.. these 3 is what id have it cut down too.jmo

S&W357 likes this.
  3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I put my 6666 thru the wringer today. Made a bunch of 10 meter contacts. Worked a few FM stations. It's not a RAG chew rig. I reached around and bout got a handful of blisters. Sucker gets hot quick. Rigged up a fan begind it to tame it down. So, I gotta figure out how to mount a fan on it.

Got good audio reports from everyone. One dude on 29600 seemed to act snotty once he heard what I was on.

4. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 Amarillo Tx Standing By

So what radio did you decide on or did you ?

5. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it sounds great on SSB but how does it sound on AM?

6. NightThumper

NightThumper Well-Known Member

On AM the 891 sounds muddy which is the main reason I got rid of it and went back to my Connex 4600 Turbo since I don’t do SSB in the truck.

7. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I haven't experienced that at all. I get decent AM audio reports.

9. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

I’ve come to have a strong preference of the Lincoln II over the 2950 series. Don’t know about AM - I don’t use it.

The large display on the RCI is better, but the controls are so antiquated it’s not worth it. The radio really needs a modern facelift.

But..I always hear MANY of them in international DX.

10. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

Going to give the 955 a try because I use both SSB and AM. Should be here tomorrow and I'm excited to try it out.

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  11. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Just picked up an Anytone 5555n and it is a great radio with a big display. It comes with a real microphone, not the Fisher Price looking one with the 5555. You can see where the Stryker 955 gets its roots from too. These are real popular across the pond and people have come up with tons of mods. Its worth a look.

2NC995 and Slowmover like this.
  12. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

I voted for the AT-6666. Although I slightly prefer the AT-5555v6, the AT-6666 is a bit more user-friendly for the average user. I have both. I also used to have an HR-2510, and I like both of the Anytones more than the 2510.
    I have a lot of HF rigs too, but I rarely use those for 10/11 Meters. For me, 10/11 are different enough from the lower HF bands that they deserve a separate rig.

The 5555 is larger and easier to access all the functions. It does 60 channels per bank, instead of just 40. Has a larger display and can read out both channel and frequency at the same time. But, you really need the programming cable and software to really set it up properly. There are some freqs it just won't do unless you enter them via software. And, without software you have to do the power-up sequence every time you switch between 10 and 11 Meters. With the software you can set it up so you don't have to do that.

The 6666 is smaller and fits better in a mobile environment. And while a programming cable and software are available for it, they aren't strictly necessary. There is a button that toggles between frequency and channel mode. Basically you select the channel bank (which all of these export rigs call "band"), dial up the channel (only 40 per bank on this one), then press the "FRQ" button. That shows you the frequency of that channel. Turn the main tuning knob or use the channel up/down buttons on the mic to change the frequency. Press the main tuning knob to change frequency step size.
    Of course you have to initially do a power-up sequence to access export mode, but you only have to do that once and you have the entire frequency set.
    You can access the entire spectrum of 10 and 11 Meters directly from the main tuning knob, even if you don't have the programming cable. And, once you change the frequency of a channel, the new frequency remains associated with that channel until you change it again.
    Negatives are that you cannot see the frequency while you are in channel mode, and you cannot change the channel while displaying the frequency. Also, I would like the option of tuning a new frequency and then having it revert to the old frequency when I go back to channel mode.
    One or both of those items may be available via software. I haven't really delved into it that much. In fact, I bought the cable but haven't even used it yet.

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  13. skip searcher

skip searcher Active Member

The Newer version of the RCI radios has a fresher Screen Easier to read display different versions of the radio

14. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

Initial reports seem very favorable. My locals say it's right on frequency and sounds good, I'm a sidebander mostly. Even made some skip contacts with it yesterday. I kept it stock. Very happy so far.

#44 L2, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Keto, WECSOG and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  15. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

I have heard many 955s and they sound good on ssb and am. They also come with a plethora of features. My $ tends to go other routes when it comes to radio now a days but if I ever get a wild hair to grab a new export the 955 would most likely be my choice.