• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extra Channels on a Corba148 F GTL

667 chicago mobile

Apr 16, 2005
U.S.A.
The 148 F GTL I have is bone stock. I would like to add a few Good Mod's to the radio. Like Modulation (For Loader Audio) Dial A Watt, and Extra Channels. And Im going to Tune It up..
Tom

That radio is just different enough from the more familiar 148 that I'll second Adam's motion, and suggest Justin/Communications Experts.

But then, I didn't ask how many radios like that you have modded before. If this is your first one, this radio is not a good "starter" for learning the ropes.

The PLL chip mod for extra channels is similar enough to the 'straight' 148 radio, but I'm convinced that the PLL chip used in the "F" radio is more sensitive to stray ESD damage. This also makes it more sensitive to go "POOF" if your soldering-iron tip is not grounded, or if the radio isn't isolated from stray leakage currents.

If you're already familiar with CMOS-chip handling precautions, no big deal. If you're not, the hazard of "poofing" the PLL chip is worth considering. Justin knows those ropes cold.

I've read rumors that the 148F-GTL can't be moded for channels. Wrong. You just can't be sloppy about it.

On the other hand, if you're intent upon learing how to mod a CB radio, I'd suggest starting with five-and ten-buck yard-sale specimens before climbing into this radio.

I don't think Cobra sold all that many of this one before they dropped it. For that reason, there doesn't seem to be a lot of high-quality step-by-step info on it to be found.

Modificationss for models that were sold in larger quantities will be covered on multiple "mod" sites.

The mods for a regular 148gtl will work on this one, which means there's a bunch you can do to it, but you really need the test equipment to do it right.

I recently had the odd coincidence to have a nice Cobra 148GTL, a nice Uniden Grant XL, and a nice Cobra 148GTL-F on my bench all at the same time. While they're all basically the same, the F model is definately much more of a mess inside from the factory, so depending on your experience it can be a "fun" one to work on.

If you can carefully solder, a channel mod is easy. Opening and unlocking the clarifier is also. CBR does good CB type tunes.

As far as modding it goes, I wouldn't. The radios value will drop like a rock as soon as the iron touches. Mod the hell outa a Grant XL or 148. Same radio, you can add a six digit counter, and still have a valuable F.

2M Guy said:
If you can carefully solder, a channel mod is easy. Opening and unlocking the clarifier is also. CBR does good CB type tunes.

As far as modding it goes, I wouldn't. The radios value will drop like a rock as soon as the iron touches. Mod the hell outa a Grant XL or 148. Same radio, you can add a six digit counter, and still have a valuable F.

Well Guy's
Im going to do what 2M Guy's say's.. Leave the radio stock. And get a Grant XL.. This Corba 148 GTL-F is New. And I really like to keep for my Grand Son.. Thanks for the input Guy's....
Tom

Yep. Not as common a radio. The only Grant XL I bought for over 100$, was a new one in '99. I've seen F's go for over 200$ on ebay.

Yikes!!! the XL is a much better radio! That's pretty amazing that the F's are getting that kind of price!

Moleculo said:
Yikes!!! the XL is a much better radio! That's pretty amazing that the F's are getting that kind of price!

I seen one on E Bay going for $250.00. I had to look :shock: :shock: again. Yep $250.00.. Im keeping mine..
Tom

Mod for Cobra 148

Modifying the Cobra 138XLR is straight-forward and fairly simple if you have relatively steady hand and a low-powered soldering iron with a tip that has been ground to a small point. It is easy to unlock the units 858 Phase lock loop chip and to modify the clarifier to slide 1 khz up and about 5 khz down. The Cobra 148GTL can be wide banded as well up to 28.045 (10 meter). The 148 GTL can also be adjusted by unlocking the 8719 PPL and also to allow the clarifier to be converted to a slider, again witha slide of about 1 khz up and a down slide of about 5 khz. If you need a graphical representation of either mod, let me know I will provide it in the form of an email attachment.

73's
Joe
JMiglino@optonline.net

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.