• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Faceplate scratch removal

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I have a light scratch on the faceplate on my 9100. Anyone have any luck buffing out light scratches? I can't feel it when I rub a fingernail across it, so it isn't deep.

I've tried to buff other stuff in the past. Never had much luck. It bugs me and I want it gone. Just don't want to make it worse.

Any particular product and/or techniques I should investigate? It wasn't on there when I got the radio. It was NOS and sealed. I suspect one of my sisters grandkids was spinning knobs.

Burns my ass.

Reactions: S&W357

The screen is large on this radio. It's very clear. I hope I can just buff out the scratch and not leave a noticeable clearer area. Might have to buff the entire screen to match.

Reactions: 357magnum
I used baking soda toothpaste on a cotton T shirt. Gel toothpaste won’t work. It’s non abrasive. All paste types have different levels of abrasiveness, baking soda being one of the highest. I also used this same toothpaste with cotton with success on scratched CD’s that skipped. With CD’s there’s a method for always applying it in the same direction, from center to edge and back, but a circular motion is fine for anything else like your plastic lens.

Bought a tube of Arm & Hammer Peroxicare toothpaste. Took a wet cottonball and dabbed a little paste on it. I started at the sides of the screen. I just moved side to side in a small circular motion, working downward. It's nearly gone. Probably about an hour total. I can't see the scratch dead on anymore. I have to look from the side. Couple more hours and it'll either be gone or barely perceptible.

Reactions: Riverman
I have some McGuire's scratch remover. I used it on my Jeep softop windows. It didn't work very well. So far, the toof paste is working. Slowly, but it's working.

P_20191221_173958.jpg
i use this. Been using it for years on my glasses. Dust dont stick to them as bad and reduces scratches

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.