• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Cites California Retailer for Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

The FCC most likely leaned on him in a threatening posture that if they were caught any illegal practice they would come down on him like a bag of hammers. I used to work for someone that had a license to do vehicle inspections and I was an inspector. There was one customer,a used car sales company that get us to inspect and pass their cars(junk). The DMV told us not to do perform any inspections anymore for that particular used car sales company. We complied. The consequences were jail time + hefty fines.
The same here I bet about the subject if this thread. The FCC probably got wind that all wasn't kosher and are leaning on them.

FCC most likely has investigated complaints of interference. Found an RM Italy linear as the culprit and some overdriving 11m junkie pointed his finger back at DNJ where he got it from and here we are now. Just a guess.

I feel sorry for the store owner. But it isn't all the Government or the vendor that can take total blame. The vendor does know they are breaking the law. No one can pretend they don't know what their product is being used for. If I sold a gun to a person knowing they were going to use it for a crime, then I am also guilty of a crime. I am not saying I like that they busted him. I like amps and tuned radios, so I'm not trying to be hypocritical. But when I speed, I don't get angry at the cops for doing their job. I just pay the ticket and blame myself for breaking the law.
And the Government is straddling the line allowing non-certified equipment into the country just to cite the vendors of the product. Shameful way of building revinue.

Operators should take this as a hint to clean up their signal or there won't be anywhere to buy our stuff. Irresponsible radio operators very well could be the root source of the FCC involvement into DNJ and E-poweramps recent citations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Operators should take this as a hint to clean up their signal or there won't be anywhere to buy our stuff. Irresponsible radio operators very well could be the root source of the FCC involvement into DNJ and E-poweramps recent citations.

I couldn't agree more. You can easily run 1000's of watts and have a very clean signal if you try, its done every day on both 11 meters and the ham bands. Its the ones that have to be "louder" then everyone else that are hurting the hobby (ham as well). Take a look at the keydowns, I am sure if the FCC had the budget they would be hauling away people and equipment in droves from those.

Reactions: 4 people
As long as they stay within the law and use their disclaimers then it's the end user's responsibility to comply

I totally agree with this as well. It should be up to the end user how the equipment is used. The amps themselves are not illegal technically, I could buy one and fire it up on 10 meters and be totally legal but I think the law still states that any amp that can be used on 27MHZ is illegal to sell if stated for that use. I could be wrong on this, I am no longer up on Part 95 rules as they pertain to 11 meters.

The gov't collected taxes from both the wholesaler and the retailer of these products. The gov'ts eyes were wide open and they knew exactly what it was these guys were selling. These guys were't hiding this stuff; nor did they make any such pretense.

Sorry; but making the jump for comparing them to drugs is ludicrous.

This is clearly entrapment, and the gov't is without excuse for their actions. They have the responsibility to stop the shipment as it reaches port since it comes from another country. So either the items are legal or the gov't has made a mistake. If they want to go after the end user, they may have that right. But they are still incorrect since they not only let this stuff into the country, but have also collected income tax for it - once again.

Mind you, I am not for breaking laws. Fed law says that 11m shall not use amps. Yet they know these amps aren't approved, but let them in? It is apparent that the gov't is getting something out of this both ways. They must be called into account for this. Gov't fraud; scam . . .

The comparison I made is far from ludicrous. It involves the same level of enforcement and interdiction as you stated should be applied. I don't buy the income tax issue you stated either Rob. The FCC has no idea whatsoever how much of the taxes paid came from illegal amp sales and furthermore you know as well as I do that there is no such thing as 100% tax reporting in about 99.9% of the businesses out there especially when it comes to cash sales. No paper trail,no taxes paid. As for inspections to keep them out of the country, just how much do you think that would take to pull off? Only a small percentage of goods entering the country are actually visually inspected for contents. To do it all would end up starving the country as food shipments and everything would be backed up across the ocean due to the shear massive job it would be. Stuff gets through all the time,stuff far more worrisome than a CB amp. Make a law stating it is illegal to offer those amps for sale and deal with it then just like they are doing is the more practical approach.

I couldn't agree more. You can easily run 1000's of watts and have a very clean signal if you try, its done every day on both 11 meters and the ham bands. Its the ones that have to be "louder" then everyone else that are hurting the hobby (ham as well). Take a look at the keydowns, I am sure if the FCC had the budget they would be hauling away people and equipment in droves from those.

I agree. It's always the "loud and proud" idiots with their "screw you I am da MAN and I'z be stompin' on all yooz mud ducks" idiots that just have to stroke their big egos to compensate for smaller aspects of their lives that tend to really be an issue. Some are also the vastly uninformed that think all knobs should be set at eleven to talk across the street as well.

Reactions: 2 people
The comparison I made is far from ludicrous. It involves the same level of enforcement and interdiction as you stated should be applied. I don't buy the income tax issue you stated either Rob. The FCC has no idea whatsoever how much of the taxes paid came from illegal amp sales and furthermore you know as well as I do that there is no such thing as 100% tax reporting in about 99.9% of the businesses out there especially when it comes to cash sales. No paper trail,no taxes paid. As for inspections to keep them out of the country, just how much do you think that would take to pull off? Only a small percentage of goods entering the country are actually visually inspected for contents. To do it all would end up starving the country as food shipments and everything would be backed up across the ocean due to the shear massive job it would be. Stuff gets through all the time,stuff far more worrisome than a CB amp. Make a law stating it is illegal to offer those amps for sale and deal with it then just like they are doing is the more practical approach.
Good Point!

So what you must be saying is that the US Customs Agents are smuggling stuff in?
Interesting . . .

So what you must be saying is that the US Customs Agents are smuggling stuff in?
Interesting . . .

:headbangOMF Robb you are an idiot you know that?? Probably not since idiots do not have the mental capacity to know that they are idiots. Personal attacks be damned....it had to be said. Take it up with another admin. Don't bother to report this post. I already have. I actually WANT the other admins to see it. They should get a kick out of it.

Now that I have undoubtedly pissed you off and also at the same time have said what a few others are thinking I HAVE to ask you, just where in the hell did you get that from?? I said it would be a massive job to visually inspect all shipments entering the country and that only a small percentage of goods are actually visually inspected. How in the hell did you turn that into an accusation that customs officials are smuggling goods into the country?

:headbangOMF Robb you are an idiot you know that?? Probably not since idiots do not have the mental capacity to know that they are idiots. Personal attacks be damned....it had to be said. Take it up with another admin. Don't bother to report this post. I already have. I actually WANT the other admins to see it. They should get a kick out of it.

Now that I have undoubtedly pissed you off and also at the same time have said what a few others are thinking I HAVE to ask you, just where in the hell did you get that from?? I said it would be a massive job to visually inspect all shipments entering the country and that only a small percentage of goods are actually visually inspected. How in the hell did you turn that into an accusation that customs officials are smuggling goods into the country?
No; I am not pissed off. You wish. What you are saying is that the US doesn't know what is coming through its shipping. US Customs does this all of the time after 9/11 and still let it in - despite the fact that the these items are known for what they are. You can find the wholesalers for this stuff online yourself; and you don't think the US Gov't isn't aware? Even if they read the contents list and let them through; they still let them in. These items aren't being smuggled in as you suggested. No way, Jose.

Made my point w/o name calling or reporting as you once again assumed. You just don't like it; cannot help that.
Whatever, dude . . .

Last edited:
No; I am not pissed off. What you are saying is that the US doesn't know what is coming through its shipping and US Customs despite the fact that the these items are known for what they are. You can find the wholesalers for this stuff online yourself; and you don't thing the US Gov't isn't aware? Even if they read the contents list and let them through; they let them in. Doesn't work that way. These items aren't being smuggled as you suggest.

Made my point w/o name calling or reporting as you once again assumed. You just don't like it; cannot help that.
Whatever, dude . . .

There you go again. I NEVER suggested in any way, shape , or form that these goods were being smuggled into the country. That is all YOU putting words into my mouth after making a false assumption. It is quite obvious that you do not comprehend what goes on at the border or ports of entry. Sadly you are not alone. A great many people are under the impression that everything is visually inspected and that manifests are 100% detail specific on the contents. Such is far from the case. Most stuff arriving is scanned for a radiation signature and possibly for explosives or chemical/biological properties and that is it. A shipment of amps is more than likely labeled as "electronic equipment" which is not a lie. X-ray scanners will reveal that is indeed the case and the shipment gets approved based on it not being a threat to the country. Very rarely does something actually get opened and inspected.

As for US Customs not knowing what is entering the country, yes I stand by that statement based on the amount of product entering the country and the inspections actually being done. I also stand by it based on the amount of illegal drugs and arms entering the country.Yes i admit these goods would be smuggled but they still often cross normal points of entry. I also stand by it based on the failure to inspect my truck when I crossed the Maine state border on August 7 of this year. Nor did they inspect the vehicle in front of me nor the vehicle behind me nor the vehicle in the lane to my left either. NO ROBB, THE US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PATROL HAS NO IDEA OF JUST WHAT IS ENTERING THE COUNTRY.They can only touch on it and do the best they can while hoping for the best. If you want to call the above statement an accusation that the customs agents are smuggling stuff across the border then go ahead. As you said "Whatever, dude".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.