• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC trouble? What ya'll think?

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Ok ya'll I live in West Tennessee. I may be moving across town. I am told that there is around 2 HAM operators in that neighborhood. I'm very worried that I will bleed on them and get in trouble with the FCC. The house next to the place we are seriously looking at has a 70-60 foot tower. It has a beam on it...I have no clue what it's used for. I run a Galaxy 2517, Fatboy 2 pill (400 watts max), Astatic power desk mic, and Imax 2000. I'm very seriously thinking about getting a 3 element beam (that might make me bleed even more?) My family is already got enough to deal with...the last thing we need is the FCC at our front door.

best move somewheres else..! My buddy lives two houses down from a ham. He has a 2 pill base box does 400 watts and an imax. he cant run the 2 pill unless the ham is not home. He bleeds with the box on.. Bare foot is fine most of the time..:thumbdown:

The beam will have less interference. My personal experience, as I own an Imax and a beam.

The REAL cause of the splatter is the radio and the amp. If the radio had the AM limiter removed, the 54 mHz coils flattened out, the modulation turned up past 100% - AND THEN run it thru an amp that will amplify all the harmonics you let out of the radio - you will definitely have interference problems. No doubt. Not to mention, that the amp is not known for running clean itself. No low pass filter is going to change the outcome here.

Now on the other hand, if the radio is set up to specs (as it should be/less than 100% modulation), don't over-drive the input watts of a AB1 class amp Texas Star (NOT the Dave Made), put the antenna up 45 ft, use a coax choke, ground planes on the Imax, and use a decent low pass filter - it may still create some problems with interference. But at least you that you tried to do it right. Then again; you might have done it right and no one will complain - too . . . up to that challenge?
;)

Reactions: 2 people
He's 13 years old.

You'll just have to install your system and see how things go. Read up on ways to reduce/eliminate RFI. Hopefully, your neighbor is not very active. Use that amp sparingly.

Go to qrz.com and type the zip code of the town and look to see if that address brings up an active HAM.

Just hope he's not retired and a 10 meter DX hound.

Reactions: 3 people
maybe if you were not trying to run 400 watts out of a 4 pill? they are either 2290 (60 watt PEP) or 2879 (100 PEP) so it either makes 120 or 200 PEP (maybe a bit more with increase in voltage since most of them are rated at 12.5v and you are most likely running around 13.8v... so assuming you are getting any benefit from the 13.8v and assuming that it is linear benefit then you might be getting 132 or 220 respectively and realistically)

It sounds silly but if your hobby is CB radio than you have to consider if where you live will effect your happiness if you can't enjoy your hobby. If you love skiing you wouldn't want to move to arizona. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but if you do you might consider looking at another house. I know when I was looking at houses I always turned on my radio int he driveway to see what kind of interference I'd be getting if I moved there. One house was near power lines and there was like 7 s units of static. If you run 400 watts into a imax 2000 and you are within 3-4 houses of the hams they will hear you and they will complain.

When I lived in VA a CB'er moved in a few doors down and chose to run mega power. My ham gear was useless as this guy was unemployed (his wife worked) and was on the radio what seemed like 24/7.

I tried being nice. I went over, introduced myself and told him I was a ham. I complemented his gear and then worked into the conversation the fact that he was making it impossible for me to use my ham gear when he ran the amp. He basically told me "tough luck". I went home and had a very nice email exchange with then FCC enforcer Riley Hollingsworth. Within one month I had no more interference from the CB guy ever again. I have no idea what happened. :D

So my answer would be to dump the amp or don't move to a neighborhood with hams. They probably won't tolerate the interference.

Reactions: 2 people
If you move in there, go over and introduce yourself. Make friends with the guy. Tell him all about your radio interests. Be up front about interference possibilities. Set your gear up and see what happens. Your mutual operating may not bother each other. If it does, ask for his help. Keep it friendly. This will probably be your best chance.

Good luck !
interview.gif

Reactions: 5 people
It sounds silly but if your hobby is CB radio than you have to consider if where you live will effect your happiness if you can't enjoy your hobby. If you love skiing you wouldn't want to move to arizona. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but if you do you might consider looking at another house. I know when I was looking at houses I always turned on my radio int he driveway to see what kind of interference I'd be getting if I moved there. One house was near power lines and there was like 7 s units of static. If you run 400 watts into a imax 2000 and you are within 3-4 houses of the hams they will hear you and they will complain.

Errr I live here in AZ and we have both types of skiing water and snow,
Unlike the movies of the 50's AZ is not all flat, dryer then a popcorn phart type of place.. It is very diverse in its geological platform..
From the low deserts to the high mountians it has a wide variaty of interesting areas for all to be enjoyed..

Now for the radio... run it CLEAN, have a words with the neighbours and express a interest in HAM.
Better yet just get your ticket. you wont regret it...

Ok ya'll I live in West Tennessee. I may be moving across town. I am told that there is around 2 HAM operators in that neighborhood.

i also live just few miles west of Savannah, just over the bridge .

is the antenna a little NW of the Harden Medical center (walmart/lowes area)?

there is also another operator just east of the Main st & Wayne rd intersection, blankenship dr or maybe perry pl

get the beam,the antron can be a splatter stick.(y)

talk to the operator and 'splain that you are a cb'er and ask if you are interfering with him.
he more than likely will help you with proper grounding/over modulation issues/ect.

I will be in TN in about 2 months , if you need any "technical" help let me know

BTW: there are more than 2 amateurs in your area: I'll bet you are ALREADY close to at least one

AB4IVprimaryThomas E PHILLIPS, 35 EAST Drive, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KA4ANOprimaryWILLIAM A BROWDER, 175 AUSTIN ST, SAVANNAH, TN, 383725603
KA4ESFprimaryDAVID L ALEXANDER, 310 WELCH LANE, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KB0RJXprimaryJOHN L HANDY, 45 Northcut st., Savannah, TN, 38372
KB4PUPprimaryLOWELL E PHILLIPS, 75 SHAW LN, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KE4UYHprimaryKEITH A FRANKS, 445 andrews lane, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KE6MFIprimaryLANCE G KRAMER, 1075 HAMBURG LOOP, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KF4UCNprimaryBONNIE L SKOFFIC, 15885 HWY 69 S, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KG4KMZprimaryPATTY W SKAGGS, 384 DUCK DR, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KG4LIMprimaryTRENT O FLATT, 275 MC KINLEY RD, SAVANNA, TN, 38372
KG4LTTprimaryPhillip B Clayton, SR, 50 CASTEEL LN, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KI4NJHprimaryThomas E Rogers, 1115 Oak Grove Rd, Savannah, TN, 38372
KI4VGWprimaryCharles L Vineyard, 15310 Clifton Rd, Savannah, TN, 38372
KI4VGXprimaryEstella M Vineyard, 15310 Clifton Rd, Savannah, TN, 38372
KJ4EJFprimaryDavid L Bishop, 430 Friendship Loop, Savannah, TN, 38372
KJ4JGVprimaryWILLIAM D ROBINSON, 445 HEARTLAND LN, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KJ4SDSprimaryBOBBY J CRUMBY, JR, 185 FARMINGTON, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
KK4HVJprimaryRoger K Hawley, 120 Thomas St, Savannah, TN, 38372
KK4HVKprimaryMarilyn B White, 435 Robin Hood Loop, Savannah, TN, 38372
KM4DOprimaryBRODIE W JOHNSON, 2112 PHILLIPS DR, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
N1ZYFprimaryDONALD J SALLS, 660 EAST MAIN STREET, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
N4GLSprimaryGerald L Skaggs, 384 Duck Dr, Savannah, TN, 38372
N4KEPprimaryGEORGE R FORD, 215 QUALLS RD, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
W4DEHprimaryDELBERT E HOOPS, 505 OLIVET DR, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
WA6RNHprimaryLARRY E GUFFEE, 520 LION LANE, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372
WH6FYprimarySHANNON M MURPHY, 1300 LAKEWAY LANE, SAVANNAH, TN, 38372 28 of 28 matches Page 1 of 1
Search results for:

Last edited:
How many of them are real Hams vs. 2M Rambo's? :LOL:

I have close to 100 "Hams" in my zip code and other than one group of Lids on 10M, I'm the only active Ham on HF.

If I had a person move close to me and introduced himself and let me know he was setting up a station I would be impressed. But I'm not a prick Ham with a stick up my ass about 11M. (y)

Good luck!

Ok ya'll I live in West Tennessee. I may be moving across town. I am told that there is around 2 HAM operators in that neighborhood. I'm very worried that I will bleed on them and get in trouble with the FCC. The house next to the place we are seriously looking at has a 70-60 foot tower. It has a beam on it...I have no clue what it's used for. I run a Galaxy 2517, Fatboy 2 pill (400 watts max), Astatic power desk mic, and Imax 2000. I'm very seriously thinking about getting a 3 element beam (that might make me bleed even more?) My family is already got enough to deal with...the last thing we need is the FCC at our front door.

Set your station up, use all the advice previously mentioned in this thread.

Once your station is operable, go knock on the neighbors door, introduce yourself.

Explain what you are doing for a hobby and then ask if you have been causing any interference to his station.

If it is a ham with the true amateur spirit he will help you clean up the signal and most likely get you interested in studying for your license.

How many of them are real Hams vs. 2M Rambo's? :LOL:

I have close to 100 "Hams" in my zip code and other than one group of Lids on 10M, I'm the only active Ham on HF.

Good luck!

I know at least 15 of them are HF only, and Im sure most of them would help out a 13 YO cb'er

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?