• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC trouble? What ya'll think?

Sooo . . . what happens when you set up your radio, amp, and antenna and you key it up and the neighbor closest to you has a computer and he hears you making all kinds of nasty comments on the radio. Oh yeah, he has kids that using the computer too. You are bleeding into the computer speakers because of the amp or the radio - and now you have a neighbor that doesn't say anything. Or at least; at first. Then, he tells you that he has heard you saying all kinds of things and his kids hear it.

What do you do?

Lol I don't talk like the average 14 year old. When most people think of a 14 year old talking on a CB, they think of talking smack and messing with truckers passing through. I talk like I got some sense haha. When I talk to a guy on another base or mobile, they sometimes ask "where do you work". I always tell them I'm still in school and I'm 14. They are amazed lol! But you're talking about coming through computer speakers. Well these neighbors aren't the type to have a computer but who knows?

Lol I don't talk like the average 14 year old. When most people think of a 14 year old talking on a CB, they think of talking smack and messing with truckers passing through. I talk like I got some sense haha. When I talk to a guy on another base or mobile, they sometimes ask "where do you work". I always tell them I'm still in school and I'm 14. They are amazed lol! But you're talking about coming through computer speakers. Well these neighbors aren't the type to have a computer but who knows?

Sense . . . OK . . .
Baby monitors, TV sets, commercial broadcast receive radios, computer speakers, land-line telephones, sound systems, and more. Can you find those items in people's homes around where you live? If you can; then there is a real chance that you will bleed into those things. Regardless if you talk smack or not. You will find out if that amp and radio will cause a problem. Doesn't matter to me, because I don't live there.

What would be sensible - ultimately - is how you deal with this if it does become a problem to others around you. You write well enough and you show some education for someone your age. One sign of growing up - IMO - is respecting others as you would yourself. Doesn't matter if you come back to this thread and tell us if you had a problem or not. The thing is - you will know.

If you do want to make it right and do it better than you did before; then there is a wealth of info and people here that can help make that happen too. Some of the guys on this forum have been into radio more than twice the years you have been alive. Some longer than that. You aren't going to surprise them a bit. They have been through it all several times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Once you get relocated.

Select a good antenna, as the antenna is 95% of your station.

Get rid of that class C splatter box amplifier and if you must use an amplifier get one with some bias to it, Texas start etc etc. Much cleaner signal.

Get a radio that is not tuned for max smoke, have it peaked and tweaked for 100% modulation and not 1% more.

Have it set up or matched to your amplifier, a 100 watts is really all that is needed. It will take 400 watts to make one more S unit on the receive end that the 100 watts.

In other words you have to multiply your output power 4X to gain one more S unit.

This is where a yagi or beam as some call it comes into play as an antenna.

A three element beam has around 6dbd of gain over a dipole, that is pretty good gain as it is one more S unit.

I understand you are young but take the time to learn how to set up your station correctly, where you cause no harm or interference to neighbors or others on the airwaves.

This will get you respected by your fellow hobbyists, and also you will be setting the example for others to follow.

And try some SSB, to heck with talking DX on the North American continent, contacts can be made half way around the world on SSB when the propagation is good.

ROBB gave you some very good advice as have others on this thread. Ask all the questions you want and someone will answer them and get you pointed in the right direction.

Learn how to build your own antennas, learn how to tune your radios, but most of all have FUN with the hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.