• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Few question on my Optima MK3..

DOA and had to send it back? He probably sent it in for repair huh? Man, I I send something that's DOA and can't take care of it the next day, a new one gets sent out and I worry about getting the one back from service.

I've owned both the 257hp and the optima. I like both a lot. I don't like the rfx75 on the 257 because they get too hot and blow up. A fan can be installed but, well, you have to install it. The optima NEVER gets hit with that big fan. Plus it has a heat sinc on the regulator.

In AM, I'm ok with the wave not being so pretty on the scope so I do like to run it loud. They're right...a 4-5 watt dead key is the sweet spot for the Optima. When I want to be loud, I'll run it at 1 watt with Amp.

MICROPHONE MOD: I opened the stock mic and changed the value of the resistor that is setting in place of what should be a pot. I believe I increased it from 1k or whatever it was to about 10k. Can't remember for sure. The AM modulation increased nicely.

257 vs Optima microphones. The 257 has an excellent microphone. I've never heard anything sound better on that radio than the stock mic. The optima is much more Versatel. Even though it too is a power mic with 8 or 9 volts going to it, modulation doesn't drop off when using a ASTATIC 636 or road king. (Ps: new road kings sound bad). I'm a noise canceling mic kinda guy in the mobile. I love the ranger sra198. It is VERY natural sounding. The ASTATIC 636 is really nice sounding as well. Right now I am using the Cobra BlueTooth all in one head set that works with CB radios and cell phones. It is surprisingly nice and loud...and very clear. Anyway, my point is, the optima likes many different types of mics so chances are, you're favorite mic will work nicely.

I like echo on AM. Installed an LT2N echo. Replaced the control knob with a dual pot from a bb3. Plugs right in place of where the knob plugs into the board. Preset the echo inside an have a simple on/off switch. Still haven't figured out talkback.

If he did they sure did some good packing and put some of those new do not remove warranty void stickers on each side and put on it? But I doubt it..

Either way its water under the bridge. I opened it up did the channel mod turned up the mod and put a good mic on it.. Now its in the closet and the 257 is still in the car mostly because its a great driver fir my amp..:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang<can not stand it><can not stand it>

Optima doesn't need any jumpers.
Should have been shipped with no jumpers but maybe if sold in the US it was set up differently. How was it set up when you received it?

the ones from yeticom are shipped with no jumpers,, the ones that are in the states now have the jumper installed and need to be removed for full coverage

the ones from yeticom are shipped with no jumpers,, the ones that are in the states now have the jumper installed and need to be removed for full coverage

I moved my jumper from 2nd spot closest to the faceplate to the furthest from the faceplate. This gave my Optima the full range from 24.5 to 29.995. Is that the same as having no jumper or does it limit some features?

The Optima has a small jumper board inside the radio to
allow users to set the mode of operation. Currently these
modes are:
1. NZ 40 CB Channels only. (Optional Ch. Readout)
2. US 40 CB Channels only (Optional Ch Readout)
3. 10 & 12m ham Bands Only (24.5mhz- 24.9mhz &
28.0mhz to 29.999mhz)
4. Free Band (24.5 - 29.999mhz)

position 4 is the same as just removing the jumper,, both my radios have no jumper installed

Alright guys, so I checked my SWR and its 1.2 and 1.2-.3ish from Ch.1-Ch.40

So Im now guessing I dont have enough power to talk with the other guys? I'll report back what DTB Radio finds out tomorrow.

So Im now guessing I dont have enough power to talk with the other guys? I'll report back what DTB Radio finds out tomorrow.

find some locals to try it with?? some days you will have good dx skip conditions other days not so good, that's part of the hobby, no guarantee on making contacts every day. dx conditions here have not been very good at all the last week or so, but we have a group of locals 30-80 miles that get on in the evenings and talk

Reactions: 1 person
I cant even talk to my cousin about 5-7 miles away.

Say conditions are good, whats the max distance on the Optima in CB?

All day I kept hearing a guy complain about this and that, and I wanted to put my input... I couldnt. He couldnt even hear me, or maybe he was ignoring me?

Also, could my ears be great but just not good TX?

what type of antenna? base or mobile antenna? if base how high?what mode
we need alot more details

dxChat
Help Users