• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Few question on my Optima MK3..

Okay I was on standard CB, not SSB. I went to DTB today and he checked my antenna system and said it was okay. He also went thru the radio and did all of the checks etc that he does. I dont know what the final wattage was though... He did say the mod was down a bit I think but the power was turned way up...

Okay I was on standard CB, not SSB. I went to DTB today and he checked my antenna system and said it was okay. He also went thru the radio and did all of the checks etc that he does. I dont know what the final wattage was though... He did say the mod was down a bit I think but the power was turned way up...
If the AM power was turned up, you would sound flat shall we say. did he turn it down some??

He did, but he didnt tell me much of what he was doing... He did adjust it and kept messing with it over and over ( assuming adjusting the pots. )

But honestly, I dont think Id use the SSB much. This may end up forsale here shortly in change for a non SSB radio.

I think Im going to need more power to talk over the trash in my area. Thats even what DTB suggested. The radio was doing fine, no issues there with my truck's setup or the radio.

Last edited:
I talked local today with it and everyone said I sounded good... Then I caught some dx on channel 6. Motormaul from west coast and Capital 1 ( I think... ) from Jamaica? It was pretty cool. I dont know if that was the Radio or the antenna.

I cannot for the life of me get any contacts on LSB or USB. Is it something Im doing? I went to 37 and 38 ( but still tried them all ) and I had the clarifier in the center....

On that DX94... I cant use a side mic input. Where the radio is, it needs to be front mounted.

Duster: What is the maximum wattage before loosing/not gaining? Is it 100w or 200w? I guess what Im asking is, whats the wattage/cost ratio to diminishing returns?

Mroneey if you wanted a smoking AM radio this was not the radio to buy, the Optima was designed to be a great SSB FM radio and ok on AM. If your going to stay on AM just sell it and get something else. Most Galaxy radios are smoking on AM because of their great audio, guess you need to look at one of them. If your Optima is a MKIII I would be interested

It is and it has your HM12 mic.. Plus the tune up from DTB just today... Like I said, I thought I wanted SSB but I dont think Id use it now honestly. Live and learn...

Email sent tucker.

been into radio since the 60's and yes I am an old guy but all bull aside SSB is just the way to go AM to me is a joke, All the European stations use SSB South America uses SSB west of us east of us south of us all use SSB so why would you want to talk on AM anyway. SSB takes no extra power to make a contact, it's all about audio being clean not blasting like AM,

when on ssb make sure ya run rf pwr knob on radio all way to left . and mic gain on radio
all way to the left [if it dont over modulat ya] this will give ya full ssb power
but if conditions arent right then no you wont talk. also location being your mobile
this is big go out in country or somethinfg up really high on a hill. this will be very helpful.
also what kinda antenna ya got

Oh I had power all the way up... to the right

Im using a mag mount Wilson 1000.

I also have NB on and the internal filter ( where you hold the one knob in and the little light pops up )

Plus T-low is on as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.