• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Few questions about dipoles.

Which position will the G5RV perform better in the Horz, or Vert position?...

Please define perform:LOL:....
All the Best
Gary;)

Google says:

carry out, accomplish, or fulfill (an action, task, or function).

It is understood that it does not perform well on all bands. It performs to some degree on all bands, just poorly on most of them. Sometimes I can be a stickler for proper terminology too.

Just for argument sake let's say he intends to use this g5rv on 20 meters only. Would the one of the members of the ham community attempt to answer his question or should we gang up on him and chase him back to 11 meters? I think height would come into play but don't have a solid answer.

Not really enough information to make an informed decision .

So ok !assuming 20m at 32 ft high.
.No feedline radiation ( that can be a real bitch on a g5rv)
. The antenna is in the clear and is orientated the correct way.
The horizontal will be a much quieter antenna and will work very well.

However the vertical case!.
.First .How do you get a 100 ft +g5rv mounted vertical and keep the feeder perpendicular for at least 1/4 wave.? Then to keep ground losses low you want the feed point around 1 wave length high . That would also keep the bottom wire off the ground So we are now talking at least 110 ft high.
Now that would be a truly awesome vertical and I think signal wise it would out perform the horizontal but with a higher noise floor.

If noise is the major problem you really need to consider a loop.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Not really enough information to make an informed decision .

So ok !assuming 20m at 32 ft high.
.No feedline radiation ( that can be a real bitch on a g5rv)
. The antenna is in the clear and is orientated the correct way.
The horizontal will be a much quieter antenna and will work very well.

However the vertical case!.
.First .How do you get a 100 ft +g5rv mounted vertical and keep the feeder perpendicular for at least 1/4 wave.? Then to keep ground losses low you want the feed point around 1 wave length high . That would also keep the bottom wire off the ground So we are now talking at least 110 ft high.
Now that would be a truly awesome vertical and I think signal wise it would out perform the horizontal but with a higher noise floor.

If noise is the major problem you really need to consider a loop.

Yeah I didn't even want to get into the practicality of erecting it vertically. I just figured common sense would kick in on that. If I had a support that was 100-150 feet high I would use it for more than a G5RV. LOL

After rereading the thread (post 7 and 8) I can't decide if he is truly trying to hang it vertical or if he means inverted V. I think he deleted the post about polarity and left anyway.

After rereading the thread (post 7 and 8) I can't decide if he is truly trying to hang it vertical or if he means inverted V. I think he deleted the post about polarity and left anyway.

Well deleting his post wouldn't do any good because it is still in my post where I quoted him so it is still being seen. To be honest Qarmeal means well but sometimes he has a hard job grasping things as well as presenting issues as they really are. One can only assume he means orientation since that is the way he presented it as opposed to asking what polarity. He has asked that one before as well as the inverted VEE question.

dxChat
Help Users