• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FIBERGLASS ANTENNA COLOR

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I received a couple of Shakespeare 4208 fiberglass whip antennas a few days ago. They are listed as "LORAN" antennas, but are 96 inches long which is the same length as my old Francis Amazer. I spoke to the techs at Shakespeare, and they said that many people have used them on CB with good results. So ... I ordered a pair.
Installed one in place of the stainless steel whip on my mobile today. SWR check showed 1.2:1 on 27.385. I haven't had a chance to talk on it yet, but I imagine it will work well.

The thing I don't like is the color: WHITE. I want to change it to black or dark gray, but I don't want to paint it. Is there a dye or some other coloring format that will work on fiberglass ?? I once used a black permanent laundry marker to color an antenna, but it faded out in a week or so.

Any suggestions ??
Thanks and 73s.

i did a white shakespeare 102 inch whip that had a crack in it but was still operatable,, with green shrink tubing i used 1/2 inch about half way up and 3/8 inch to tip,,,took a blob of jb weld and put on end,, only used it for a couple of weeks young kid wanted it so sold it to him,,,

I received a couple of Shakespeare 4208 fiberglass whip antennas a few days ago. They are listed as "LORAN" antennas, but are 96 inches long which is the same length as my old Francis Amazer. I spoke to the techs at Shakespeare, and they said that many people have used them on CB with good results. So ... I ordered a pair.
Installed one in place of the stainless steel whip on my mobile today. SWR check showed 1.2:1 on 27.385. I haven't had a chance to talk on it yet, but I imagine it will work well.

The thing I don't like is the color: WHITE. I want to change it to black or dark gray, but I don't want to paint it. Is there a dye or some other coloring format that will work on fiberglass ?? I once used a black permanent laundry marker to color an antenna, but it faded out in a week or so.

Any suggestions ??
Thanks and 73s.

Sand the FG. a little to put some tooth on it, mix a little india ink in to some clear lacquer, and paint it on.
After that drys 24 hours spray on 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. I have done this in the past with a A-99, and it lasted about 4 years and faded to a light gray/black.
Good luck, 73

The Krylon Fusion spray paints actually bond to the surface of plastic. . I've used it on plastic lawn chairs that still look freshly painted after 6 years. It doesn't flake off and I've seen no fading at all.

Reactions: wavrider
Black electrical tape(n)(n)

I use it for lightning Protection here in Florida, does not work have had two I2k blown to pieces by lightning strikes.:(:(:(:(

Black tape does prevent UV damage though, coax will wear out before black tape looses it's stickiness:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

The reason I asked this in the first place is that years ago, I painted a 'glass antenna, and for some reason I could never get a decent swr reading out of it again. So, I want to make certain that I don't ruin one of these new ones. I am going to try the Krylon Fusion, since it's available in our pueblo. Gonna try it on another older antenna first though. Thanks for the replys and the help guys. 73s.

Reactions: phantom309
The reason I asked this in the first place is that years ago, I painted a 'glass antenna, and for some reason I could never get a decent swr reading out of it again. So, I want to make certain that I don't ruin one of these new ones. I am going to try the Krylon Fusion, since it's available in our pueblo. Gonna try it on another older antenna first though. Thanks for the replys and the help guys. 73s.

I know you have been on a quest to find the old Francis Amazer, so I hope these work well. I have used Krylon Fusion on plastic, and it does work great. The thing is with your antenna is that it flexes and bends, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I have used elecrical tape before, but it was on a Firestick, and the antenna design handles the tape better than what I think your antenna will. Last resort on the markers... if you go that route, make sure they have xylene in them. It is getting hard to find here in the US because the chemical is on the EPA hit list. The xylene makes a permanent marker "permanent". Since you are in Columbia, you might have some luck finding some. Look at Pilot markers, or the Sharpie Magnum.

Brett

The reason I asked this in the first place is that years ago, I painted a 'glass antenna, and for some reason I could never get a decent swr reading out of it again. ....

Some pigments used in paints are metallic, try to get an MSDS for the specific paint you intend to use and see exactly what's in it first.

Reactions: phantom309
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried several, but settled on Ditzler HOT ROD BLACK paint reduced 50% (1 part reducer to 1 part paint). Applied it with my air brush. Needed 4 coats, as the glass antenna soaked up the paint like a sponge. Came out really nice. Dark smooth satin black finish was exactly what I wanted. No change at all in SWR. The heat shrink worked good too, but the finish was rubbery-looking, and I didn't care for it.
Thanks again for the help. 73s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.