• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally bought a Sirio 5000 to try...

Well, couple things right out of the package...the whip has no tip cover on it (cheap?) and both halves of the base is tapped (there is no way to put it together because the handle bottoms out before it should).

So in short, without drilling out the one half of the base; I have to ship this one back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

thread the handle into and through the whip side first all the way through,, then it should go past the threads and be able to screw into the base,

when all assembled the handle will stay in the whip side of the antenna(so when you remove the antenna the handle will stay in the whip side of the base and wont get lost)

basically the handle goes into the whip side of the base first before you try to put the whip side to the base

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Yeah, mine bottoms on both halves...that smooth non-threaded section of the handle won't pass through either side.

Nothing really to post a pict of...it just won't thread through the hole completely.

I just pulled it out and tried it again. The threads bottom on the smooth section of the handle...it won't thread through the hole completely.

I did find the cap for the whip...it was pinched inside the cardboard end closure.

handle should thread into the upper whip side of the antenna and thread all the way through, when it gets past the threads it will slide in the part of the handle that doesn't have threads on it,, this locks it to the antenna so it wont get lost when you remove the antenna,, it will stay in the whip side

if your holding both 1/2's together and trying to thread the handle in, it wont go,, it needs to be threaded into the top whip side first all the way.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, mine won't thread completely through. I may run a file through and see if there is a burr or something. Tomorrow...its been a rough couple days.

Contact DNJ, he will make it right. They have great customer service. Let him know about the issue and i am sure it will be resolved quickly

Are you assembling it in this order? You thread the bolt through the upper portion of the base. This will be the part with the whip and base load. Thread the bolt all the way down and keep spinning it and apply some pressure if needed. Here are some photos that may help
e3y3umy8.jpg
yvu8yveg.jpg
eve6aja6.jpg
ezyre4et.jpg

The first photos are of the right side of the antenna facing the back of it. The screw goes into the side with the whip and base load first. I usually screw this together before attaching the top portion to the bottom of the base. Then you may have to wiggle around a bit to get the bolt to bite the second half of the base that screws onto the mag mount or hard mount. It can be a pain to do as it is sometimes tough to get the bolt started, but once it does it should go through.
Hope you get it fixed and resolved. As for the whip, don't worry about the thickness per say, it's the length and build that make it work like it does. There are mods as well to add a cut 102" ss whip instead of the stock one. But IMO, the stock whip works well and as long as you aren't hitting a lot of large objects with it, it will be fine. Like I said, hope this helps and hope you get it fixed or resolved. I would be upset as well. I have 3 of these antennas and all three have no issues with the bolt threading in. Just have to make sure you are threading it in the right way. Have a good look at the photos and see if it helps any. Hopefully it will and all will be well. If not, give H&Y a call and let them know of the issue. I know DNJ would fix it, or make it right, don't see why H&Y wouldn't. Good luck and god bless.

Good thing it wasn't an export radio that came DOA. I've known a few people that's bought exports that arrived DEAD! not from H&Y but other places and the vendor wouldn't replace them. Made them send back to the mfg. I'd call H&Y and see if you can send back just the base and coil. Save you and them shipping.

Not to change the topic, what is the 2:1 swr bandwidth of the sirio 5000?
Is there a conversion to make the sirio mount on a 3/8 x 24 stud mount?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.