• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally bought a Sirio 5000 to try...

Hi Dave, I know that the Sirio 5000 has a UHF mount. I tuned mine from 26.950 (1:7) - 28.740 (1:7-1:8) on MFJ-259. I read a post on a forum where someone tuned his to do 10, 11, and 12 meters after hard mounting it to body.

I read a post on a forum where someone tuned his to do 10, 11, and 12 meters after hard mounting it to body.

Hard mounting doesn't give you more bandwidth, it just alters the resonant point of the antenna. 5MHz with a SWR low enough to be usable is a big ask for any antenna.

The problem you have with radio is there's a wide range of what some people will find acceptable. For that person it could be that the SWR meter needle only went into the red a little. There's also a lot of variables that can come into play and what he sees as a good thing, wide bandwidth, could actually be an indication of a problem.

SWR is also a whole lot more than the X:Y ratio. Its the Resistance and Reactance and you can still have low SWR whilst having some really bad R or X values.

Hard mounting doesn't give you more bandwidth, it just alters the resonant point of the antenna. 5MHz with a SWR low enough to be usable is a big ask for any antenna.

The problem you have with radio is there's a wide range of what some people will find acceptable. For that person it could be that the SWR meter needle only went into the red a little. There's also a lot of variables that can come into play and what he sees as a good thing, wide bandwidth, could actually be an indication of a problem.

So far so good...

SWR is also a whole lot more than the X:Y ratio. Its the Resistance and Reactance and you can still have low SWR whilst having some really bad R or X values.

Can you give me an example of X and/or R being no where near expected values and still having a low SWR assuming the RF source and the feedline both have a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms?

The DB

So far so good...

Can you give me an example of X and/or R being no where near expected values and still having a low SWR assuming the RF source and the feedline both have a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms?

The DB

I didn't say expected values, just less than ideal. Its possible to get a 1:1 SWR with a bit of shunt matching for an antenna with an unmatched R in single digits for example. Its going to be a really shitty antenna but has a 1:1 SWR so its good, right?

I didn't say expected values, just less than ideal. Its possible to get a 1:1 SWR with a bit of shunt matching for an antenna with an unmatched R in single digits for example. Its going to be a really shitty antenna but has a 1:1 SWR so its good, right?

I think how you worded the statement led me in another direction from what you may have intended... Your addition of a matching system when I asked about it changes everything...

It is possible to stub match any complex impedance to achieve a 1:1 SWR, and using the same data used to figure out the stub lengths you can create any number of various matching networks that would also work.

I also think many people would be surprised at how well an antenna tuned with a coaxial stub would actually work, although this has nothing to do with the SWR the radio sees as SWR is not the indicator of antenna performance that many people believe it is...

The DB

If you re-read what I did say to an old friend. Was I read a post said that someone says his now tunes 10, 11, and 12 meters. Mine is doing 11 and some of 10 meters on a Mag mount. I never said that hard mounting makes an antenna more broadbanded. I have said in past post that a thicker stinger will according to ARRL antenna book.

I am using a thicker stinger on my sirio pl5000 and it works well. Not sure it makes it more broadband, guess in could check it out and post back some results, I have a sirio pl5000 performer, mag mounted with a modified base drilled out to accept a cut 102"ss whip. I have cut the 102" as whip about an 1" shorter than the stock one as that's what was required to get my swr readings correct for 11m. I will try to get some readings though and post them.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I like to add that my experence with using a thicker whip on the Wilson 5000 didn't make a bit of difference in broadbanding.

You would be better off having a couple of extra whips on hand for that sirio tuned to the middle of each band to extend your bandwidth..28.500, 29.500 etc.

Reactions: jazzsinger
Well, I was able to clean the threads up by running a tap through both halves, and a little cleaning with a file. Finally got the handle to thread completely through, and the shoulder to slide through as it should. So other than I had to work on a new antenna, its assembled now.

Might get around to installing it tonight...got other things going on, so other than screwing it onto the mount, I might not be able to tune it.

It should be around 1.1-1.3 out of the box, that's what I got anyway with the mag mount.

Well...on the car it will barely deflect the needle on all 40. On the truck its 1.6:1 on 19, its 1.2:1 on 1 and 2.0:1 on 40.

So I left it on the car, probably order another for the truck if it works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.