• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally Passed my Technician & General this weekend!

YR Mason FL

After 40+ years of putting it off, I finally sat for and passed Element 2 & 3!
Now I must wait because the VE says that he sends the paperwork via USPS instead of electronically so that will definitely slow down my official update in the FCC database.

I have heard people say that the vast majority receive their update the same day it is sent if electronic as the FCC auto-updates every hour during regular business hours.

Oh well, at least I passed! (y)

Congrats to you BOTH!
The best turnaround I have heard was Test on FRIDAY evening and received update late MONDAY evening.
That was about 5 years ago, that was the exception NOT the rule.
Average time frame electronically filed is still around 5-10 days, USPS added another week.
This just gives you time to begin to think about antennas, and how to set-up your shack.
The time frame today in this "I want it NOW" generation", you guys should have been around in late 70's when it took average of 8 to 12 weeks to get your license!:mad:
My case it took 14+ weeks!!!!:confused::mad:
So Antennas, Antennas, Antennas... is all that you should be thinking about!:whistle:(y)
Then "GOOD" equipment you now need you do not have.
Many here to help
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Right now I am helping to get mom and dad's new ADSL line hooked up
Congrats to you BOTH!
The best turnaround I have heard was Test on FRIDAY evening and received update late MONDAY evening.
That was about 5 years ago, that was the exception NOT the rule.
The average time frame electronically filed is still around 5-10 days, USPS added another week.
This just gives you time to begin to think about antennas, and how to set-up your shack.
The time frame today in this "I want it NOW" generation", you guys should have been around in late 70's when it took average of 8 to 12 weeks to get your license!:mad:
My case it took 14+ weeks!!!!:confused::mad:
So Antennas, Antennas, Antennas... is all that you should be thinking about!:whistle:(y)
Then "GOOD" equipment you now need you do not have.
Many here to help
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Thanks, Gary!

The "I want it Now" thing was instilled in me by those JG Wentworth commercials "It's my money and I need it now!" haha

I left you a message in our earlier communications so you probably didn't see it and it's ok if you don't. I just thought that I would ask first before I purchase something from somewhere else. I may consider the Icom IC-7300 or the Yaesu FT991A. I May then recoup some of my money by selling my IC-751A but then again I may just decide to keep it as well.

I have a dipole setup temporarily and it is cut for 40 meters and running through an MFJ-933B Tuner. I also have a box of 4 #5943003801 43-grade Fair-Rite Toroids to experiment with on more permanent dipoles.

I really want to have 6 meters because of our long history as lost brothers I would really like for my first official contact to be with you if at all possible. That would be so cool!

Thanks again and as always I wish you all the best brother.
Thanks for everything.

Greg

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
Thanks guys i have a couple of transcievers a ft 101zdmk3 and a ft 1000d. Might get something with 6 meters in it. I have a 4 element lightening quad up now and with tuner in the 1000d might be ok for 10 and 12 meters. I have another tower going in the ground this spring and was thinking maybe a multibander on it.

Congratulations! I shared your excitement thinking back on my exams. I had to wait over 2 weeks for my call to be valid but the the time will pass quickly and meantime just listen to the bands and spend time reading up on things.

Reactions: Rwb and YR Mason FL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.