• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finals 2166 / 1969

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
Saw a local replaxe (2) 1969 with (2)2116 finals and saw only 3-4 watts out from 40watts with 1969. Ii am thinking since the 2166 rare 5 watts finals his power should be more.

It's not just the rating of the part that determines it's output. The circuit the part is used in has a lot to do with this too. For example, the 2166 makes 5 watts when the output circuit matches the collector impedance of the 2166. The fact that the 1969 is rated much higher at the same 12 volts, tells you its output impedance is much lower than the 2166.

Impedance mismatch is why the 2166 does not even make 5 watts in the 1969 circuit. Changing 1969's for 2166's is a horrible idea. We didn't even discuss what's happening on the input side with its impedance and overdrive condition. I'll bet they don't last long and even shorter if used on SSB.

Ok I assume my thoughts werere correct his argument was exact the same that with 2 (2166) he was expecting more output but I said I believed it was a difference in circuit.i say actually seeing 3-4 watts was good base on te mismatch. Once he replaces with (2) 1969 he should see the typical output.. Think most people only look at data sheet for out put..
What are the thoughts on Hg 2312 and hg 1969

I thought the 2166 was used as a driver for a dual 1969 or 2312 powered radio. I'll have to open several of mine up and look again.
If the radio is working there is no reason to swap the 1969 finals out. Since the Toshiba finals are no longer made and very expensive the HG versions of the 1969 and 2312 are about your only choice.

Reactions: unit_399
I thought the 2166 was used as a driver for a dual 1969 or 2312 powered radio. I'll have to open several of mine up and look again.
If the radio is working there is no reason to swap the 1969 finals out. Since the Toshiba finals are no longer made and very expensive the HG versions of the 1969 and 2312 are about your only choice.
There are lots of old broken radios around with these finals in them. Many like the old RCI-2950 have defective and obsolete microprocessors, with a perfectly good radio board and finals. Buy junkers off eBay for parts or start calling all of the radio shops and just pay them whatever they want for a real Mitsubishi part. I'm happy to pay $15 for a used working 2312 and $10 for the 1969. I'd pay double if needed or new. It has nothing to do with the actual value of the real part and everything to do with the value of a perfectly working radio, still using OEM parts.

Reactions: NZ8N and sunbulls
There are lots of old broken radios around with these finals in them. Many like the old RCI-2950 have defective and obsolete microprocessors, with a perfectly good radio board and finals. Buy junkers off eBay for parts or start calling all of the radio shops and just pay them whatever they want for a real Mitsubishi part. I'm happy to pay $15 for a used working 2312 and $10 for the 1969. I'd pay double if needed or new. It has nothing to do with the actual value of the real part and everything to do with the value of a perfectly working radio, still using OEM parts.
Thank you for the thoughts I was a bit unsure as why a 2166 won't work in a 1969 circuit. I have advise him to replace them with the 969 I think the power should come back. He said the finals had blown and he had replace a few parts so before he wanted to be sure before using the 1969 but as said he was under the impression that for testing the power would have been more since he had 1 2166 driver and (2) 2166 final

Had good luck with HG1969 so far.

The 2166 requires less drive power. If you try the 1969 as a driver, you'll be disappointed. Not enough drive available to it in that circuit. 2166 works better.

The 1969 needs more drive, but is capable of more output than the 2166.

I understand but he did it the other way in his 2950 he is using (3) 2166 .the driver of course is a 2166 the swr went high and he blew the finals. Since he had no replacement finals he used (2) 2166 in place of the 2312. Since then he was able to order replacement 1969..as said before his concern was why his output was only 3 watts from a (2) 2166.i explain the impedance is different from the 1969 and in my opinion that was why.but he is cautious of installing the new 1969. Because of the low output of the (2) 2166

I always recommend finding and fixing all the blown parts in the bias circuits that each control one final. If he hasn't obtained a reasonable bias-current reading from each final, he can't say for sure that both of them are delivering power. You'll still get a wattmeter reading if only one final is active. A low wattmeter reading, but one blown final won't shut down a two-final transmitter.

Who knows? If it turns out that only one of his 2166 finals is active, maybe he'd see six Watts or even 8 with both of them working. Considering that a 4 Watt carrier is what the 2166 is designed to deliver, I'd be surprised to see more than 10 or 12 Watt peaks from two of them in a Saturn.

The reason that transistor shows higher peak power in a Cobra 29 has to do with the modulator circuit. The Saturn never puts more than 12.5 or 13 Volts onto the final transistors' collector circuits. The 29 puts audio peaks of 24 Volts or more onto a 2166. This is why a typical Cobra 29 will swing roughly twice the peak power that a Saturn with two 2166 finals should get.

Reactions: NZ8N
Same reason I'll never toss out a radio with an original 1306 or 7. With so many counterfeits nowadays, parts radios become my main source for transistors. Thing is, I usually restore those oldies before they ever get parted out, so my surplus supply of parts is limited.

I just spoke to my local he said he replaced tr parts in the bias circuit the one ohm bias diode and trimpot one of the diodes was faulty however I am still seeing about 4 watts max
I was thinking since the transistors impedance is different that maybe why I am only seeing 4 watts.bte the trimpots and not going to zero maybe 25 to 130 ohm and the trimpot is suppose to be 100ohm I advise to change

as said before his concern was why his output was only 3 watts from a (2) 2166.i explain the impedance is different from the 1969 and in my opinion that was why.but he is cautious of installing the new 1969. Because of the low output of the (2) 2166

If the existing bias and drive levels have not destroyed the weaker 2166 transistors, you can be sure that it will not burn out the heavier duty 1969's. About the only way for that scenario to happen at this point, is to install them wrong or crank the bias up too much afterwards.

One quick way to determine if both finals are receiving similar drive and bias, is to place two fingers on the heatsink directly behind both transistors. If you can tell one is running hotter than the other, it's getting more bias, drive, has an issue with one of its tuning caps or, is the only one doing work. You should do this test while talking on SSB, since that's the only mode that would bias them into class AB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.