• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finding noise problem.

Low_Boy

Jan 21, 2010
Rochester N.Y.
I am running on a A99 antenna. I am getting about a S7 on 10 through 15 meters , and others. 20 Meters quiets right down. Also 40 is quiet. Not talking on 40 with this antenna just for testing purposes. My 2 meter hand held also is very quiet also not going through the A99.
I also notice the noise seems worse on SSB than AM. If I am on 10 meter and switch to my 6 meter antenna the noise goes away. I tried tracking this down with a AM radio and a hand held but really find no transformers near by where the noise gets worse. Could this be a antenna problem?

Have you tried running the radio on just a battery and switching off the power through the circuit breakers?

Also the farther away from resonance you get the less noise and signal is heard.

Reactions: midnight special
I hate to say this but you got grow lights in your hood?
Thay where killing me but I made a deal with the grower and we split the cost of new PS and now no noise....and I am not out a penny....It turns out my half of the cost was reimbursed to me with state approved medical m(*&@%&&*(y):X3:o_O:cautious::sleep:

Reactions: kopcicle
I make my own noise

Attachments

• FAL-01.jpg
    FAL-01.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Grizz420
Hmm. Grow lights huh? Things that make ya go hmmm. Now there’s a lot of traffic to the house behind me and I too have a lot of noise on my A99...

Hmmm.

Uh huh.

Is your radio capable of going mobile? If so put your radio in your vehicle and drive around the neighborhood. If you find a house with high noise levels DO NOT make contact! It could be a grow house for "Herbal Incendiaries". As you drive around when your noise goes up take notice of telephone poles and transformers. If you can map out the locations and when you call the power company you can give them a copy of your area test. They will then know you did your homework and then they have to do theirs. They will still do their survey and likely discover any grow houses in the area and fix all of the insulators and transformers.
They are required by the FCC to investigate all radio noise complaints.

Last edited:
Is your radio capable of going mobile? If so put your radio in your vehicle and drive around the neighborhood. If you find a house with high noise levels DO NOT make contact! It could be a grow house for "Herbal Incendiaries". As you drive around when your noise goes up take notice of telephone poles and transformers. If you can map out the locations and when you call the power company you can give them a copy of your area test. They will then know you did your homework and then they have to do theirs. They will still do their survey and likely discover any grow houses in the area and fix all of the insulators and transformers.
They are required by the FCC to investigate all radio noise complaints.
Unfortunately my new pick up is aluminium and slapping on a magnetic antenna on it is not too easy, a idea i have thought of.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?