• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINE TUNE CB SHOP FOR REAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I loved my HR2510 collection, I like this Anytone AT-6666 much better. SSB is similar to the 2510, but AM is phenomenal with the 6666. Another nice thing is with the 6666 you can see the screen from any angle unlike the 2510 which must be viewed head on.
at6666%20(3).jpg
I never tried that one but I did waste money on the President Lincoln 2 version 3. The new Lincoln is Chinese made junk compared to the quality that the original Uniden made in the Philippines. I've been reading that all these newer exports coming from China are all pretty much the same but just have a different face.

I still have my 2 chipswitched HR2600's because I know they're scarce and maybe it's some sentimental value to me as well.

At this point, I can't ever see using any exports again. I really don't do much on AM but some occasional local group talking and monitoring 19 when I'm driving.

There is so much you can do with all these modern HF rigs like computer control radio programs, remote operation, auto-logging programs, SDR receivers and pan adapters, and I'm using all of this and lately I've been getting into digital modes too. Plus the modern radio's are good to go out of the box so you don't have to go get it "tweaked".

You're definitely a radio guy, have you ever thought of coming over to the Amateur world?

I'm positive. I guess you didn't watch the video.
I'll make it easy for you.

I actually watched the whole video a day or two ago. Never saw anything There about Predistortion linearization or pure signal. I don't expect you to know what this stuff is but it explains why you are so impressed with your exports. There's a whole different world out there.

I never tried that one but I did waste money on the President Lincoln 2 version 3. The new Lincoln is Chinese made junk compared to the quality that the original Uniden made in the Philippines. I've been reading that all these newer exports coming from China are all pretty much the same but just have a different face.

I still have my 2 chipswitched HR2600's because I know they're scarce and maybe it's some sentimental value to me as well.

At this point, I can't ever see using any exports again. I really don't do much on AM but some occasional local group talking and monitoring 19 when I'm driving.

There is so much you can do with all these modern HF rigs like computer control radio programs, remote operation, auto-logging programs, SDR receivers and pan adapters, and I'm using all of this and lately I've been getting into digital modes too. Plus the modern radio's are good to go out of the box so you don't have to go get it "tweaked".

You're definitely a radio guy, have you ever thought of coming over to the Amateur world?
I haven't put much thought into getting a ham ticket although I wouldn't rule it out. I have too much fun toying with folks that think 4 watts is only capable of 10 miles or less. Doing the seemingly impossible with almost nothing has always been my game. Sounding excellent while doing it is an added bonus. Listening and recording some of the reactions I get is totally priceless.

I actually watched the whole video a day or two ago. Never saw anything There about Predistortion linearization or pure signal. I don't expect you to know what this stuff is but it explains why you are so impressed with your exports. There's a whole different world out there.
Using a scope to view 3 different nonlinear stages and finding yourself a tech that can bring the whole thing back into linear operation and eliminating all distortion and IMD was the whole topic of the video. I suspect you might not think it possible to do with these "junky" exports.

Using a scope to view 3 different nonlinear stages and finding yourself a tech that can bring the whole thing back into linear operation and eliminating all distortion and IMD was the whole topic of the video. I suspect you might not think it possible to do with these "junky" exports.

I never said it wasn't possible to take an export out of the box and clean it up. I mentioned pure signal and you don't know what I'm talking about. Your crappy export can not do this and Mark can't make it happen. That's how good this sauce is.

Reactions: NZ8N
I couldn't even get a simple answer out of him when I asked about the power output of his fine tuned 955 or whatever he runs. I basically wanted to know what finals the rig has and how much clean power he claims to get from them. He gave me an elaborate reply about percentages and transistor gain. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance you have to baffle them with BS.

Too much opportunity for camera tricks on YouTube and his #1 customer doesn't tell much about his radio. If we believe Mark we have to believe every other YouTube tech.

Even if he answered the questions without beating around the bush who knows what to believe. It's shady business but keeping it mysterious and magical will lure in more customers.

I have too much fun toying with folks that think 4 watts is only capable of 10 miles or less. D

Yes, but your a big fish in a small pond trying to impress the ignorant!

You can run a Amateur QRP station (5 watts or less) and talk all over the world and be respected by the Amateur community. To do this shows a commitment to the hobby and a testament to how good you can build antennas.

The one Ham I talked to regularly is WA2TPU. He has confirmed QRP contacts in all 331 countries (includes entities) and is the only Ham to get a DXCC award (100 confirmed countries ) on all HF bands and 6 meter bands running QRP. Not to mention the fact he runs a "green station" meaning battery and solar power and big home-brew wire antenna arrays. This goes way beyond tuning radios for micro-volts and Class C amps.

You don't have to give up CB to become a Ham.

Like I said before, you are enthusiastic about radio so why not take it to the next level?

I couldn't even get a simple answer out of him when I asked about the power output of his fine tuned 955 or whatever he runs. I basically wanted to know what finals the rig has and how much clean power he claims to get from them. He gave me an elaborate reply about percentages and transistor gain. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance you have to baffle them with BS.

Too much opportunity for camera tricks on YouTube and his #1 customer doesn't tell much about his radio. If we believe Mark we have to believe every other YouTube tech.

Even if he answered the questions without beating around the bush who knows what to believe. It's shady business but keeping it mysterious and magical will lure in more customers.
20 watts carrier is doable on the at-6666 but the heat sink is a joke and won't dissipate the heat so it is doing about 15 on high and exactly 4 on low so I can accurately and fairly compete with stock cb's.

Yes, but your a big fish in a small pond trying to impress the ignorant!

You can run a Amateur QRP station (5 watts or less) and talk all over the world and be respected by the Amateur community. To do this shows a commitment to the hobby and a testament to how good you can build antennas.

The one Ham I talked to regularly is WA2TPU. He has confirmed QRP contacts in all 331 countries (includes entities) and is the only Ham to get a DXCC award (100 confirmed countries ) on all HF bands and 6 meter bands running QRP. Not to mention the fact he runs a "green station" meaning battery and solar power and big home-brew wire antenna arrays. This goes way beyond tuning radios for micro-volts and Class C amps.

You don't have to give up CB to become a Ham.

Like I said before, you are enthusiastic about radio so why not take it to the next level?
Divorce attorney comes before hobbies. Life is on hold pending completion of divorce. Been dragging on 5 years now.

I thought the thread was all about calling into question the abilities and practices of one Mark Sherman at Fine Tune CB Shop. At least that is what the OP (Sonar) started when he started the thread.
Partially true, but the question was asked because of the video about 3 nonlinear stages on a stock Stryker 955 since the average good technician would have said the factory tune was just fine. Notice the 3 different stages in the pic? Look close.
Screenshot_2017-06-11-11-33-42.png Screenshot_2017-06-11-11-33-42.png

Last edited:
20 watts carrier is doable on the at-6666 but the heat sink is a joke and won't dissipate the heat so it is doing about 15 on high and exactly 4 on low so I can accurately and fairly compete with stock cb's.

20 watts carrier? I do believe it will do that but not be clean. Lots of IMD and there is not enough headroom left to fully modulate that carrier without major distortion. The finals are too small and nothing can change that.

I'm sure it is very clean from 4 watts. 4 watts is probably where a person would set it to make a clean You tube video.....;)

We're talking about a pair of 13n10 finals in this radio. Some manufactures like Stryker advertise 4 finals for this chassis but only 2 are finals, the others are drivers.

Just for comparison the 2879 is a 100 watt RF transistor. The datasheet shows lowest IMD is around 60 pep that's 15 watts carrier max in AM service to be as clean as possible. Do you think 2 13n10 mosfets that sell for pocket change are equal to a 2879?

Reactions: NZ8N
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.